bellevillerod

kohler M18

bellevillerod

Hey guys I was given an M18 vertical engine today. I don't have anything that will take a vertical. Is their anything on this worth saving? I think a lot of the parts will interchange with the Horizontal engines. I read on here about guys having problems finding parts for their 18 hp kohlers. Just tossing it out to see if anyone wants anything off of it before I set it to the road.

20200325_125913.jpg

20200325_125924.jpg

20200325_125931.jpg

• Like 3

Bill D

Wish I lived closer, I would take that engine for parts.  I have thought about converting my KT 17 to electronic ignition.  The coil, coil mount and flywheel should fit.  The stator, and voltage regulator should fit any kohler.  Carb and air cleaner assembly can be used with some modifications.  I believe these engines can be flipped for use horizontally, but only if used with an electric clutch.  Part it out and sell the parts.  Just my two cents.  Bill

• Like 2

953 nut

Here is a bit of information on converting a Vertical Kohler Twin to Horizontal I saved from the internet a couple years back.  I have not done this process yet, but plan to soon.

I have been working with several M18's over the last few years, seems..it's just been a great engine and many have come around lately.
I acquired this M18 (in pics) from a Gt that was partially backed over by backhoe, very low hrs on engine, ran super
so,, I decided to go ahead with the conversion which I always wanted to attempt .

I have a variety of M18(horizontal) parts...it seems to me the many, all, vertical blocks have the precast mounts right there like it
is originally supposed to be a horizontal engine.

This is my changeover list,,
1- pulled oil pan base, had the end plate to replace
2- removed the intake manifold, kept the original carb. installed proper intake manifold 
3- drilled out and installed the oil tube and stick
4- tapped and installed the base oil drain tube at designated location
5- removed the breather side valve cover, installed plate umbrella assembly from horiztl engine
I noticed the extra drilled 1/4" hole in the valve spring oil well. (see pic)

I realize the output shaft looks funny, but the engine will be working an invention in progress.
These are my present questions...??
Is there any mods to block (oil pump issues) before installing end plate?
Does the extra through hole in valve spring well have to be plugged?? It only acted as drain when it sat vertical?

I noticed other info when I googled the subject,,having to drill regarding the oil pick-up?

Any information is appreciated.

Haven't had it run full out, but ran up to temp, 1200rpm +/- 
and it purrrrs away. 35lbs + oil psi.
The only catch, crossing my fingers, is I did this all without splitting the
block. So, drilled the pickup tube location from end plate side, installed set
screw (tapped). BUT no PICKUP TUBE.
Stretched the relief spring just to say, (1/32 or-)
I made the dip stick tube 1/4" longer, engine has that bit more oil, but reads normal..
Always have to keep supplied with good fresh oil and filter.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

bds1984

If we weren't under this stay-at-home order, I'd come pick it up from you to keep it as a spare for my M18 in my 520H and for the clutch.  But if I were you, I'd just hold onto it for a rainy day, you never know when/if you may come across a really nice B165 or 200-series that needs an engine.

• Like 1

bellevillerod
2 hours ago, bds1984 said:

If we weren't under this stay-at-home order, I'd come pick it up from you to keep it as a spare for my M18 in my 520H and for the clutch.  But if I were you, I'd just hold onto it for a rainy day, you never know when/if you may come across a really nice B165 or 200-series that needs an engine.

No worries, it was supposed to be a solid runner, hydro unit died on Ford tractor. I will just stash it away and  have it in reserve. It has the mounts already molded in it. I was wondering about converting it. Guess you can if you get the itch.

ZXT

Wish I were closer - I'd buy that off of you in a heart beat. Need a good M18 (or a crank, rods and pistons) to put in a Toro ProLine that my dad has. Bought it with the engine broken and they're scarce around here. 

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, ZXT said:

Wish I were closer - I'd buy that off of you in a heart beat. Need a good M18 (or a crank, rods and pistons) to put in a Toro ProLine that my dad has. Bought it with the engine broken and they're scarce around here. 

Cub Cadet 1720 has them tiny (mower only) tractor with that M18.

IMAG6310.jpg

IMAG6311.jpg

IMAG6316.jpg

• Like 2

bellevillerod

• Like 2

Pullstart

If anything Rod, keep that electric clutch.  I know for a fact that won’t care what way it’s mounted!

bellevillerod
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

If anything Rod, keep that electric clutch.  I know for a fact that won’t care what way it’s mounted!

funny that was the one thing that I was sure I would never use. Everybody says the same thing hold onto it. The tractor it came off of was a Ford YT-18H

Edited by bellevillerod
  • Like 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, pullstart said:

Or post it on :techie-ebay: for about $ 100 if it works.

• Haha 1

bellevillerod

OK so I have most of the parts to do the conversion to horizontal. Does anyone have a pic of the throttle linkage set up on a twin kohler? I will have to piece one together and bend some wire. Going to try and do a write up on this if it works out well. I see that their are quite a few of the vertical M18 kohlers around. Would be nice to be able to convert them on the cheap. intake manifold, dip stick & tube, 90 elbow for carb, back cover, oil filler pipe. All in for right around 100 not bad if it works out. Found a decent 312/8 speed roller, guy is asking 120.00 might grab if this will fit. 

Edited by bellevillerod
  • Like 1

Bill D

If you do that conversion you will have to use the electric clutch.  The engine won't have the necessary thrust bearing that would allow use of the regular wheel horse PTO clutch.

bellevillerod

Manual show a thrust bearing and sleeve bearing in the PTO end of engine. It was set up on the ford tractor with a pulley running the hydro drive. The electric clutch was running the mower deck. But I will double check just to be sure. Thx 

pfrederi

What is the Spec Number of the engine....Thrust bearings in M-18 were very rare....Note only 5 out of many many variations had the bearing...

thrust.JPG

• Like 1

bellevillerod

20200328_000029.jpg.08a470291931b3bd2333c5bd065ceb17.jpg

bellevillerod

The electric clutch was just floating under the engine. It was not bolted to anything. If you look at the first pic thats how it came out. I unbolted the engine cut the belt and lifted the engine up out of the tractor.

Edited by bellevillerod

pfrederi

Engine was built for LawnBoy  Does not appear that any Vertical shaft Magnum 18s had thrust bearings.

bellevillerod
27 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Engine was built for LawnBoy  Does not appear that any Vertical shaft Magnum 18s had thrust bearings.

it's the same spec number that was used on the wheel horse tractors, also same spec as the k17 engine from what I can find. we will see when hooked up how well she works. It came off a ford tractor, didnt think lawnboy ever made tractors for ford. Gilson made those who know's with so many being bought up. Gilson, lawnboy, ford, toro could all be the same.

Edited by bellevillerod

bellevillerod

Well whatever it takes to get it up and running, I will run it with the electric clutch if needed. I have 3 or 4 of them laying around here off different tractors if needed. Should be interesting to figure it all out.

bds1984

I am interested to see how your conversion goes; I've heard of it being done, but never known anyone to actually do it.  I come across a ton of MV18s around here for cheap and I have often thought about converting over to power a generator for my house.  

bellevillerod
2 minutes ago, bds1984 said:

I am interested to see how your conversion goes; I've heard of it being done, but never known anyone to actually do it.  I come across a ton of MV18s around here for cheap and I have often thought about converting over to power a generator for my house.  

well I just installed the back plate today, used silicone as a gasket material. I still have to drill the dip stick tube hole and get that installed before adding oil and firing it up. If you are running inline you should have zero problems with yours. I still have to figure out all the governor and throttle linkages. 

bds1984

I have an M18 from a Cub on my 520H.  I will try to snap a picture for you tomorrow.  It really isn't a complicated setup.  Because this engine was badged as a Magnum 15, the governor only lets it run to 3200 RPM, but through the magic of math and larger pulleys, the belt and transmission do not know the difference.

What did you do for the carburetor mount?  

bellevillerod
49 minutes ago, bds1984 said:

What did you do for the carburetor mount?  

I bought the intake from a horizontal engine and the elbow. 

pfrederi

MV1.JPG

MV2.JPG

• Like 1