tntatro

Looking for spindle bearings

tntatro

Hello, I am looking for spindle bearings for a 42" rear discharge deck. I took one spindle apart and the bearings are about 1-9/16" outside diameter and about 11/16" inside diameter. the number on one bearing was F8259 but I can't find that bearing anywhere online. The shaft measured about .663" using dial calipers. I've read on another thread that there are 3/4" shafts and 17mm shafts but I don't know the part number I need for the 17mm which is what this appears to be. The thread mentioned 6203-2rs for 3/4" shaft and 6203rs for 17mm but all that comes up with the search is 6203-2rs and the description says 17mmx40mmx12mm which is a little confusing to me on what I need if that was supposed to be for the 3/4" shaft.

The deck is loud and makes a vibrating noise kind of like "wowowow". One spindle turns with a slight resistance but has no play, another seems to turn okay and has no play while the other turned nicely but had a small amount of play by grabbing the blade and also had a slight bumpy sound to it. The tension pulley turns okay but has a sound/bumpy feel to it also. The anti scalp wheels are really loose and rattle, not sure if that could be causing the noise but didn't think of that until later. The deck has a lot of recent weld repairs due to stress fractures and one of the spindles had ripped right out of the deck. When first engaging the deck it would bog down my K181, then I unhooked the belt and turned the belt tension lever a few times and checked over the deck. Then it would engage the deck but was loud and still has some resistance like the engine has to work a little harder than normal. If anyone has other ideas on what might be causing the resistance and noise then I'd like to hear them.

stevasaurus

I'm wondering if this might help.  It shows bearing #109966 Wheel Horse or TORO...I don't know.  I would think that TORO would still have the bearing.

tntatro

Thanks for the reply, my spindle looks slightly different than that one. The one I took apart has a snap ring on one end and the oil seals are in the bearings on one side.

stevasaurus

Got a model number...or what horse do you have it on???

tntatro
8 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Got a model number...or what horse do you have it on???

No model number on it, I got it used and don't know what it was on. I'll check out the manuals, thanks.

• Excellent 1

stevasaurus

@gwest_ca  will come in here in a bit...he will be more help then me on this.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Sometimes a picture of the deck can help nail things down.

tntatro
46 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I'm wondering if this might help.  It shows bearing #109966 Wheel Horse or TORO...I don't know.  I would think that TORO would still have the bearing.

I'm starting to think that this is the one, or at least the same bearing. I found a set of 6 aftermarket to replace that part number and it says the specs which are the same. I think I'll go for that part number. The picture in the file also says it's metric. Thanks, that does appear to be the right number.

• Excellent 1

tntatro

I just took another look at the bearing and I was reading the number off the seal, the bearing is SKF 6203rs. I found a seller on eBay selling 6 Toro 109966 and ordered them and also ordered a tension pulley. Hopefully that clears up the noise and resistance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

skrusins

Akron Wheel Bearing has all the bearings you need in stock. They have been there for years south east Akron, Ohio

tntatro
20 minutes ago, skrusins said:

Akron Wheel Bearing has all the bearings you need in stock. They have been there for years south east Akron, Ohio

Thanks, I already ordered some but good to know for future reference.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Hope they work for you...glad to help.  :occasion-xmas:

R. L. Addison

Do not overlook bearings in idler/tensioner unit (mule drive). I've had them come in with the bearing shaft burnt almost through from bearings locking up.

• Like 1

peter lena

tatantro, glad you found your bearings , a very good bearing lube / grease with a 540 flash point is LUCAS RED AND TACKY , https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk02NcaeVx_YEsueKc970zEvYfCSL1Q%3A1584991821538&source=hp&ei=TQ55Xt6sHd2JytMPgrq1gAE&q=lucas+red+n+tacky&oq=lucas+red+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.35i39l3j0l7.3148.8862..11977...1.0..0.89.809.10......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i131.vbFY3FgxHQE, WALMART $5.50 , VERY STOUT GREASE  and very quiet. also check out the idler pulley on the deck , very prone to , noise and failure , about  10 $ , take the time to detail lube all points for a smooth easy running deck , especially , lift height lever , usually rusty and stiff., let us know how you make out on this , pete 

tntatro
6 hours ago, R. L. Addison said:

Do not overlook bearings in idler/tensioner unit (mule drive). I've had them come in with the bearing shaft burnt almost through from bearings locking up.

I've seen that before also, the shaft had a groove worn about half way through. The pulleys on this one turn nicely but they are definitely well used by the looks of them. I may get new ones or see if they have replaceable bearings since the rest are getting replaced. 

Edited by tntatro

tntatro
4 hours ago, peter lena said:

tatantro, glad you found your bearings , a very good bearing lube / grease with a 540 flash point is LUCAS RED AND TACKY , https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk02NcaeVx_YEsueKc970zEvYfCSL1Q%3A1584991821538&source=hp&ei=TQ55Xt6sHd2JytMPgrq1gAE&q=lucas+red+n+tacky&oq=lucas+red+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.35i39l3j0l7.3148.8862..11977...1.0..0.89.809.10......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i131.vbFY3FgxHQE, WALMART $5.50 , VERY STOUT GREASE  and very quiet. also check out the idler pulley on the deck , very prone to , noise and failure , about  10 $ , take the time to detail lube all points for a smooth easy running deck , especially , lift height lever , usually rusty and stiff., let us know how you make out on this , pete 

I did order the idle pulley on the deck also. I'll try the red grease when I run out of what I have now. Don't remember the brand but it is green and supposed to be for high temperatures. I'll update after I get the bearings and pulleys replaced.

• Like 1

Lee1977
On 3/22/2020 at 6:10 PM, tntatro said:

I just took another look at the bearing and I was reading the number off the seal, the bearing is SKF 6203rs. I found a seller on eBay selling 6 Toro 109966 and ordered them and also ordered a tension pulley. Hopefully that clears up the noise and resistance.

A 6203rs is a metric bearing ( 17 mm ID,  40  mm OD  and !2  mm thick. ) standard bearing for all Wheel Horse metric spindles. 

tntatro

Today I got the bearings and idle pulley and put them in. I did't get a chance to test it but I did find one thing that might have been causing the vibration and noise. The center pulley was upside down. I must have put it back together wrong after the deck got welded. I had the big pulley on the bottom. The blades do turn much nicer now. I also ordered pulleys for the mule drive so hopefully this deck will last a while.

• Like 1

tntatro

I tested the deck today just a little and it is much better. There is a little vibration but nothing that seems abnormal, probably just the blades out of balance. The main noise now is the anti scalp wheels. They are so loose that they rattle and spin if they are not touching anything.