Ed Kennell

Tractor for the Birds

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Standing on the seat

Is that a PA OSHA approved people raising device?

:lol:

Thanks for helping the birdies.

They're part of the reason Trina and I are opening up the forest by the backyard.

Several feeders.

Fresh water.

Very enjoyable for us to watch them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

CCW

The blue birds have been great to watch on the feeder.  Unfortunately we have a lot of black bear in town and they tear down the bird feeders.  I have to take my feeder down on April 1st.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
28 minutes ago, CCW said:

The blue birds have been great to watch on the feeder.  Unfortunately we have a lot of black bear in town and they tear down the bird feeders.  I have to take my feeder down on April 1st.

We have plenty of bears here.

Hang the feeder higher.

Black bears aren't much for climbing.

• Like 3

953 nut

They do like bird feeders.

bear.jpg.efa0022a28d9434bef40a5060b30fa0b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Confused 1
  • Heart 1

CCW

4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

We have plenty of bears here.

Hang the feeder higher.

Watch one in my back yard go right up a tree when he saw me.  Only 40 feet away.  I went into the house and he came down and left.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, CCW said:

Watch one in my back yard go right up a tree when he saw me.  Only 40 feet away.  I went into the house and he came down and left.

Damn.

Put the feeder at 41 feet?

:hide:

• Like 1

CCW

Oops.  Forty feet from me and 15 feet up the tree. :lol:

Edited by CCW
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell
13 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Those Maine bears must be overweight or just plain lazy.

I've seen these PeeAaa bears climb trees and crawl out on a pretty thin limb to got to a bunch of wild grapes.

Image result for Bears in Trees

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

pfrederi

The other half and I took the L107 and trailer out last week to clean out the Blue Bird houses.  We have 19 houses.  Based on the nests about 25 % Blue bird  25% wrens and some Tree swallows an misc or vacant.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

formariz

Nice. You don't use a "perch" in those boxes?

• Like 1

bellevillerod

We have a lot of the Cardinals this year, not to many Blue birds on the feeders. The wife planted Humming bird type flowers around the deck. Every year we have them buzzing around all summer. The things I never noticed when I was young.....really enjoy now!

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

pfrederi
2 hours ago, formariz said:

No perches

• Like 3

Pullstart

Ed,

Little Miss Rylee has a science project to help create or restore habitat in our area.  Do you mind sharing your plans for those boxes, along with any help to attract more blue birds?  I thought creating a grassy deer habitat would help, but attracting them to eat them apparently isn’t the same mindset?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

formariz

Just made these for the sparrows and mounted them on the post. 
Got a few more ready just waiting to put copper in the roofs.

EA0EC4BA-1E59-4D37-8E99-B12BB1D13FEC.jpeg.030c122ef0904d998adc3d20101e3f14.jpeg

15C64256-8493-40B9-95D0-16B108226CF8.jpeg.7f79d0ee6c7fe1add37f23e9ee55fa54.jpeg

E8FA09DE-FE63-4BFE-98D2-D408954BA9B7.jpeg.4d9b0fc602b42350f4d318b8a6976852.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, formariz said:

The Eastern Bluebirds don't need a perch to enter.    The lack of a perch may discourage some unwanted  birds, but the sparrows are difficult to keep out.

If the blues start building the nest first, they are usually successful in defending the nest from the invading sparrows.    I try to relocate any boxes with sparrow nests to give the blues a chance  to start a nest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

formariz

Good to know. Going to do a few to try to attract them . We usually also get lots of warblers nesting in them. They sing really nicely wide loves to watch them.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell
40 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Ed,

Little Miss Rylee has a science project to help create or restore habitat in our area.  Do you mind sharing your plans for those boxes, along with any help to attract more blue birds?  I thought creating a grassy deer habitat would help, but attracting them to eat them apparently isn’t the same mindset?

Here are the plans that I use for reference Kev.       Although I tend to use any scrap lumber I have on hand.   And I use SST screws instead of nails.

The inside cavity should be close to 4x4x 10 inches high.    The entrance hole is 1.5" ID and 1-2" down rom the roof overhang.

The floor should be recessed 1/2" up in the box and the corners cut off to provide drainage and vent holes.

I like to use a hinged front for the cleanout door instead of the side cleanout.   It is easier to get the two hinge screws in alignment.  I keep the front down 1/4" from the roof for a vent opening.

For the box I just made, I used a 1x8 for the back and roof,  a 1x5 for the sides, front and bottom.   Finished lumber sizes of course were smaller.

Weathered unfinished lumber is probably best.  I have made some from barked slab wood that may help attract the blues.

Box location is best overlooking a grassy open area where the blues can perch on the roof and watch for food....they eat bugs.

102_1482.JPG.9fee488a72edea91403eef0891ae92a0.JPG102_1481.JPG.b2c3d31b70ca0daa093f766bcce28590.JPG102_1480.JPG.0dff9955aeede4ab764f5a742f879268.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

Jennifer
5 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Standing on the seat of the 312, I could reach the Bluebird boxes for cleaning and repair.This guy was watching as I installed a new 102_1476.JPG.4c0e3897214c1cdc03a87b71ac2da80a.JPG

Your repair is cleverly simple and fast!  I like it.  My son built some in Boy Scouts for the parks but could have saved some had they used your simple repair method.. looking great!

Ed Kennell

Yeah, over time, birds and rodents tend to enlarge the holes.      I do this to resize the bluebird and the wren boxes.

1.5 for blues and 1.125 for house wrens.

• Like 1

pfrederi

If you want to attract blue birds fed them meal worms.  We give them a mix of dried ones and live ones.  More live during eh winter and nesting season mostly dry the rest of the time.  The like to eat inside.  i made a feeder similar to this picture. You do not want the ledge sticking out on the bottom.  Other birds will perch on that and try to reach the worm.  bluebirds will fly right in to eat.

feeder.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

CCW

@pfrederi Where do you buy meal worms?  The blue birds make short work of the suet/seed blocks I put out.

Edited by CCW

pfrederi

Dried ones at Lowe's  live ones from The natures way

https://www.thenaturesway.com/

Ed Kennell

Most bait shops sell live meal worms this time of year.   Trout also like meal worms. 

Paul, do you use the 1.5" hole for the feeder?   I need to make one of these.     Got any oics of yours?

pfrederi

I have a problem with red headed wood peckers he can hang on the outside and reach in.  I blocked the hole on one end and have the dish i put live worms i down at that end he can't reach.  The dried ones get spread around by the Blue Birds and he does get some of them.  I was thinking of making a hole protector like you show on you repaired house to make it harder for him to reach on.  Bungee cord is because it is windy as heck on our hill and the cover blows open .

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1