953 nut

The scams will be coming

953 nut

With the US Government telling us that checks will be sent to every American you can count on the scammers getting out there with"Helpful Hints" on social media and email.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

stevasaurus

This thread has a very good chance of being deleted.  A few people here need to put their feelings on FaceBook where it belongs...not on this site.  Thank You

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

formariz

I always thought that feelings were OK as long as they were not political or offensive  to anyone. This has been a section where we frequently express and share our feelings sometimes of a very personal nature. It just seems like a honest harmless "be aware" comment from someone with good intentions.:confusion-shrug:After all we express our feelings about other scams here without any problem. Why is this one different?

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

Talking bad about other countries where we have members is not going to be tolerated...neither is calling people names and spreading the hate.  I did not close this thread, but we are not going to let it get like...well you know.  I think we can vent without be-littleing others and their views.  Richard's thread is fine and sill stands.  I just hid the comments that have no place on this site.  The other Moderators and Admins will look at what I did and make a determination.

• Like 9

squonk

Excellent job Steve! Everyone's getting a bit edgy. This is now in my backyard. It may be in everyone else's before long. The entire world needs to work together to combat this.

• Like 5

953 nut

Anyone who has a direct deposit of Social Security or other federal benefit will have their payment deposited on April 5, 2020. If you know of anyone who could be duped by a scam asking for bank/credit card information please caution them to delete it. I got one this morning. I just wanted to ask other members to let their more vulnerable friends and relatives know that they should not respond to them.

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ZXT

Yes, people need to be aware, and especially know that with any of these things, you will NEVER receive a phone call about them, asking for personal information. I know that most of the member base here are older, and I know that they are the most susceptible to these types of scams.

Obviously not COVID-19 related, but on Monday, my grandmother received a phone call from a "police" station in Florida, stating that I had been in a serious car wreck and was now in jail. They knew her name, my name, and even had someone on the phone pretending to be me crying in the background. They said that "I" needed $8k to make bail. She told them that she was 92 years old and wasn't about to drive to town to get money to feed their scam and hung up on them. I'm just glad that she sensed what was up and didn't fall for it! 

Everyone should stay on their toes in these times.. It'll blow over eventually, but until then, people are going to be acting crazy.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

bc.gold
4 hours ago, ZXT said:

Yes, people need to be aware, and especially know that with any of these things, you will NEVER receive a phone call about them, asking for personal information. I know that most of the member base here are older, and I know that they are the most susceptible to these types of scams.

Obviously not COVID-19 related, but on Monday, my grandmother received a phone call from a "police" station in Florida, stating that I had been in a serious car wreck and was now in jail. They knew her name, my name, and even had someone on the phone pretending to be me crying in the background. They said that "I" needed $8k to make bail. She told them that she was 92 years old and wasn't about to drive to town to get money to feed their scam and hung up on them. I'm just glad that she sensed what was up and didn't fall for it! 

Everyone should stay on their toes in these times.. It'll blow over eventually, but until then, people are going to be acting crazy.  

Family members tracing linage posting to a genealogy site or posting a recent obit make for good sources of information some of which could be used for nefarious purposes.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Stormin

I've had several about my Amazon account. Never listened to the full recorded call. I don't have an Amazon account.

Also one that says £600 pound has been taken from my bank account. Also recorded message. Needless to say, the phone goes down right away. Only time a bank will phone you is to ask you to visit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

bc.gold

That's because your telephone service provider is selling it's customer name and number data base, I've been using voip.ms for the past 8 years. They have not sold their customer data, in those 8 years have only received one telemarketer call of which I immediately added that caller number to my do not call list.

Other than to show my last two months billing, I'm not going to go into the merits of using voip, Those of you that are interested can go to https://wiki.voip.ms/article/VoIP.ms

https://voip.ms/

Premium | Calls: 61 | Duration: 3:19:50 | Total: $1.7514

voip.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Excellent 1

bc.gold

After my father passed away I had decided to donate four months of my time to the red cross, they set me about sourcing and recovering  loaned equipment that was not returned.

A lot of the borrowers had moved from the address given, phone numbers changed but the personal contacts given on the borrow forms were generally reliable.

It was an interesting job, after the four months were up the RC wanted me to stay on, but I had fulfilled my personal commitment and said no to the generous offer.

My point is that anyone can use social engineering to an advantage for good or bad.

• Like 1