nylyon

Working from home or remotely

nylyon

I'll kick this off.  I have successfully worked from home for the past 15 years.  If you need any advice, how to setup your remote access, conferencing or how I have handled the work / life balance of working at home, please feel free to reply.  

For me, it took some adjustment and I don't treat working at home as a 9-5 job, but more of revolving work where you work when you are most efficient and ensuring that you are providing your employer with the same level (or better) of work as when you were in an office.

I am more than happy to answer questions about working remotely, or at least best I can.

• Like 8

82Caddy

I started my work from home adventure today and my desk setup needs some work...

49667348402_76f569986a_z.jpg

All joking aside, I have a desk in the process of being made, just waiting for some cabinets to arrive for the bases.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Started today.

So far so good with email connection etc.

Work product on a memory stick for now...

Thank you for doing this thread - me thinks it will come in handy...

We shall see...

rmaynard

My daughter-in-law is an upper-level manager with JLG Industries. Part of her job is to assess the impact of the coronavirus on supply streams, product deployment and ultimately sales. She is now working from her dining room table. She says that trying to do her work while occupying a 16 year old and a 10 year old, along with trying to home school them is a daunting task.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

nylyon

I agree Bob, and at least with my job, I was never glued to specific hours.  Sometimes it was easier for me to work fro 6:00am until 10:00am, then start again at 5:00pm and work until 9 or so.  The biggest initial challenge was understanding that the work can be done at any time, except of course when there were meetings and conference calls.

• Like 2

Bigtrx34

Our engineering staff is home working via remote access.......not us lowly pee on's. Hard to change parts on a dyno from the sofa 😜. Be safe everyone!

The Tuul Crib

I have to say that what I do it's a little difficult to do at home which there are a few of us that have jobs where we have to go in to work and be around orhers.We just had a meeting today strictly told us no close contact 6 feet away from each other and wash your hands very often.They don't want us using the break room And no more than 2 to 3 people on the bus at one time. Life just gets a little tougher every day and we all have to endure. God bless us all

82Caddy
On 3/17/2020 at 9:43 AM, 82Caddy said:

I started my work from home adventure today and my desk setup needs some work...

49667348402_76f569986a_z.jpg

All joking aside, I have a desk in the process of being made, just waiting for some cabinets to arrive for the bases.

So I finally finished my desk on Wednesday and was told on Thursday at the end of my shift that my position has been terminated effective immediately. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Perfect timing I guess. Turned in all my stuff Friday morning and am trying to decide if I stick with healthcare or make a career change. Good news is my old employer is covering insurance until the end of August so I have some time to figure out a plan.