Cvans

1930 DeSoto

bc.gold

I don't imagine this being a daily driver and maybe laid up for extended periods, might be a good idea to install stainless steel liners in those slave cylinders to prevent pitting.

Brake fluid also has an affinity for moisture, and the water vapor in the air can combine with the brake fluid, lowering its boiling point and, in cold weather, forming ice crystals that make braking difficult.

We wanna see pictures of your lathe :happy-bouncygreen:

• Like 1

Cvans

This is were I stand until I can find parts. As suspected the spider gears had fallen to the bottom of the housing. It appears that at least one of the spiders had started to freeze to the shaft and the shaft broke into 3 pieces. Two cogs are missing on one spider and the other 3 gears are damaged. Both of the conical spacers are shot. The carrier, ring and pinion are good.

Please check your pockets as I could really use these parts. :)

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0704.JPG

• Sad 5

Pullstart

That’s unfortunate for sure!  Are there any rear ends that could be donors?  

I found this site just now...  https://m.oldmoparts.com/parts-rear-axle.aspx

06DFE038-B6D6-4F5E-8408-226DD5196C92.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Cvans

I'll check it out. Thanks for the link!!!! :handgestures-thumbup:

bc.gold

Your rear diff was more than likely manufactured by the Dana Corp, who made differentials for many car and truck companies.

Can you give us a photo showing the numbers and any mfg logo from the crown, sometimes the numbers will be stamped into the end on the pinion..

ee.png

Parts book shows it will fit:

1930 through 1937 Chrysler CD, CP, CT, CQ, 8, Airflow CU, CV, C1, C2, C3, C9, C10, C11, C17

1931 Chrysler CM6 with serial # 6540542 and up

1931-1932 Chrysler CI6

1933 Chrysler CO 6 and 7 passenger

1930 through 1932 Desoto CF, 8

1930 through 1932 Dodge DH6 built after April 1930, DD, DE, DF, DI, DL6

1930 through 1933 Dodge 8cyl cars

1937 Dodge trucks MD15, 16, 20, 21, TD20, 21, 3/4 and 1 ton

1938-1939 Dodge RD15, 16, 20, 21, TD20, 21 3/4 AND 1 ton

Case is in good condition

Spins smooth. Gears are clean 

Has 43/10 gears ( 4.30 ratio ) 

Edited by bcgold

Cvans

This is the only thing I've seen so far. Its on the carrier housing.

I have to ask, where are you finding your information? 

Thank you for the effort your putting into this!

998436890_20200318_1754123.jpg.d2f064adf99b6212559bdbab962d5133.jpg

bc.gold

The pumpkin I've posted the image of is currently on fleabay, did not include a link to the auction but the sellers ID is visible.

Maybe a Mopar enthusiast can tell us when Chrysler started using  the corporate differential, those used before hand would have been manufactures by Dana / Spicer.

Looks like the rear cover gasket has 11 holes

zd.png

• Like 1

Cvans

I've sent you a PM. I'm also contacting the seller.

• Excellent 1

bc.gold

These old Hollander Interchange books are worth their weight in gold, every auto wrecker kept their Interchange books up to date these were the bread a butter of the industry.

Now to access Hollanders newest editions you have to pay a yearly fee to access the digital editions.

When we had the scrap yard we used to get a lot of hubcaps and would often purchase them by the pound in large totes at the big yard where the cars were being crushed. If it had not been for the Hollanders manuals identifying the caps would have been impossible.

Anyhow there's a Hollander for every year a vehicle was made listing the parts that interchange from model to model and years.

hubcap.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I know I’m not as helpful as @bcgold in the matter, but a simple google search “1930 DeSoto rear end” brought me that website I shared.

• Like 1

Cvans
4 hours ago, pullstart said:

“1930 DeSoto rear end”

There were parts there that I could end up needing before I'm done with this and I really appreciate you contacting me with help. I'm leaning on 70 pretty hard so I'm not as fast at this stuff as the younger folks. 

Thanks for your assistants. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

We're all in this together brother man

Over the last couple years I've asked silly questions about more subjects than I could even begin to tell you for Trina and myself and our household.

Might not have been the ideal one we were looking for but we've always gotten an answer and been able to proceed with some sort of solution.

This website and the people that are on it are nothing short of Top-shelf.

• Excellent 4

Cvans
11 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

This website and the people that are on it are nothing short of Top-shelf.

Many years ago when I put together the first Lister WH is when I found this site. I knew nothing about WH tractors. The folks here were more than happy to share their knowledge and make suggestions. It didn't take long to start feeling like home here. 

Thanks to everyone here. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Cvans
14 hours ago, bcgold said:

1930 through 1932 Desoto CF, 8

Unfortunately this information may not be correct. 

My ring gear is 35 teeth and the pinion is 8. My housing has tenth bolts not the 12 shown in the photo. Dang it anyhow. :sad-pacing:

Thanks for posting it and I'm going to contact them anyway as they might know of something. :pray:

Cvans
21 hours ago, bcgold said:

We wanna see pictures of your lathe :happy-bouncygreen:

It's a Smithy Granite 13x24". Would have preferred separate lathe and milling machine but space was limited and I fell into a deal I couldn't walk away from. I would not use this machine for production work but for what I do it has turned out to be amazingly versatile. I don't know anything about CNC or digital readouts so this has fit my mentality pretty well.  Smithy is good about providing support for their equipment and that has been a plus. 

IMG_0711.JPG.79c6c35f2d9fdf13a1b430166ca337a9.JPG

Edited by Cvans
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Cvans

Just an update. 

It appears from a visit I just had with an Ebay seller in Canada that he has all the parts I need and the transaction will be completed on Monday. 

Today I will be removing the rear fender and if time allows the bumper also. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
2 hours ago, Cvans said:

Just an update. 

It appears from a visit I just had with an Ebay seller in Canada that he has all the parts I need and the transaction will be completed on Monday. 

Today I will be removing the rear fender and if time allows the bumper also. 

That is so cool. I had a 1928 Franklin Airman for about ten years. I miss that car. Air cooled motor, no radiator. Way ahead of its time. Really enjoying the story on your car. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Glenn

• Like 3

Cvans
16 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

1928 Franklin Airman

Sounds like the for runner of the VW or Corvair engines. Going to have to look that up. Think I would have had a hard time letting go of that. I'll try and get some photos of the interior today. The back is full of stuff as they had taken the door panels off to replace them. 

• Like 1

bc.gold
2 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

That is so cool. I had a 1928 Franklin Airman for about ten years. I miss that car. Air cooled motor, no radiator. Way ahead of its time. Really enjoying the story on your car. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Glenn

The Blacksmith in Cloverdale BC had a Franklin, if I remember correctly each cylinder had a glass valve cover.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
2 hours ago, bcgold said:

The Blacksmith in Cloverdale BC had a Franklin, if I remember correctly each cylinder had a glass valve cover.

My model did not have that. A huge fan in front for cooling. Some body parts were aluminum, also had patent pending hydraylic brakes, big ol stromberg downdraft carb. For many years I was a member of the H.H.Franklin club and made a club meeting in upstate New York once. It was a car for the well to do at the time. 

Glenn

• Like 2

Cvans

I think a fender has been found for the car. I'll know for sure tomorrow. Got my fingers crossed. 

For those interested in the interior here is a couple of photos. The interior door panels had been 

removed to be replaced and are on the  back floor. 

20200320_182447.jpg.17dc654740962adb5ba6fab17e4e0335.jpg20200320_182503.jpg.2dd6d5b40a5726299cd371aaae8e0b49.jpg20200320_182752.jpg.375c32c38f4963206b9a700bf3c8b387.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

bc.gold

A few years ago started collecting window cranks and door handles, this is the extent of my collection. What do your cranks and handles look like.:romance-grouphug:

20200320-213327.jpg

• Like 1

Cvans

I'll have to look tomorrow. 

What are those out of???

Edited by Cvans
  • Thanks 1

Stormin
7 hours ago, Cvans said:

20200320_182447.jpg.17dc654740962adb5ba6fab17e4e0335.jpg

That's a complicated dashboard. Where are all the idiot lights, multitude of switches, radio/cd, sat nav etc. etc.?? :D  All those things that are so essential these days. :rolleyes:

• Haha 5

ebinmaine
41 minutes ago, Stormin said:

sat nav

Prolly one o those cars where ya have to LOOK where you're going to get there.

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 2