driver903

My 854

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, troutbum63 said:

The only time's I wished I had an automatic was every time I found myself stuck in a stop and go traffic jam. By the way will there be a lot of fabrication needed for your tractor project?  

Which one sir?

troutbum70

I did not know you were working on more than one. How many do you have started? 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I did not know you were working on more than one. How many do you have started? 

Hehehehe....

I have two in the works right now and as soon as the snow comes off the parts pile tarp cover I'm going to get another one going.

Colossus is the one you are asking about I assume.

If so, yes, there will be a fair amount of fabrication on that one.

I've outlined that a little bit towards the beginning of the thread but of course I'll probably change my mind about how to do things 38 times.

The other one I have going right now is the Charger Hydro project.

The third one is going to be the Military Tribute Tractor.

@driver903 don't mind us hijacking your thread. We have a tendency to go off on tangents around here.

:handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

troutbum70

Driver903 my oppologies, as I said good luck with your 854. And when mine done that similar thing it was because the pin holding the ball on the shifter fell out, leaving the shifter kind of sloppy.

• Like 1

Achto
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I've never tried a Mack 7-speed or anyting 15 speeds or higher but I've had my hands on everything else.

First big truck that I learned to drive was an old twin stick IH. Miss a gear, pull over & start over.☹️Boy am I glad that they don't make them anymore.😊

ebinmaine
Just now, Achto said:

First big truck that I learned to drive was an old twin stick IH. Miss a gear, pull over & start over.☹️Boy am I glad that they don't make them anymore.😊

I'd LOVE to try one...

Achto
23 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'd LOVE to try one

They're fun:wacko:. I caught a lot of crap while I was learning to drive that truck. Comments like "No need to start grinding any thing until you get to the mill" & the ever favorite "Grind me a pound while you're at it" :D

I finally got the hang of it but.. For me it was a happy day when that truck left the farm and got replaced with a slightly newer IH that had a vacuum operated split rear end .:greetings-clappingyellow: 

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

troutbum70

Would not want drive one every day but would be fun to play with.

• Like 1

troutbum70

I never drove a 7 speed mack, but I did drive a 5 speed maxidine for quite some time, my first larger truck that I drove was a 1936 chevy duce and a half gas job. My uncle had upgraded it with a 2 speed rear, and us guys as young teenagers thought we were hot stuff with that baby. 

• Excellent 3

troutbum70

Yes Eb I was wondering about the colosus, that charger 12 must be similar to the electro 12 I just aquired. I just got that into a spot where it can stay for a time while I do the carb, valves and what ever the hydro needs.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

that charger 12 must be similar to the electro 12

Very similar... Except no Electric PTO.

Lane Ranger

Over a dozen years ago I had the opportunity to drive both a manual dump truck and the new Allison automatic transmission at the Allison Plant in Indianapolis.  A comparison was being shown to me by actually driving two different dump trucks (and I fully confess this was the first time I ever drove one of these big trucks) up the Allison plant test hill (ironically much like the Wheel Horse Ireland Road plant test hill in South Bend). 

My impression was there was no comparison to the manual vs the automatic for ease of use and stability of the vehicle up the hill! 

My current pickup truck ( F-150 Ford) has the ten speed automatic that Ford and GM developed together.  I can’t say enough good about it after driving  25000 miles across the country last year. 

All that being said I still prefer a four or eight speed Wheel Horse tractor over any of the automatics! 

95AD4087-E1FC-49C3-8FA9-D813CA47316E.jpeg

9D28B854-B35A-4D9C-B98D-8341A75A6382.jpeg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 4

Ed Kennell
On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 1:45 PM, Achto said:

First big truck that I learned to drive was an old twin stick IH.

Twin sticks.   Hooked my left arm thru the wheel to steer with my elbow and reach the tranny stick.  Right hand on the two speed rear stick.

Double clutch and dual shift.   I needed every combination  hauling coal out of the Hillbilly state.

• Like 2

troutbum70

There were a few broken arms back in those days and many sprains. If you were real good and fast you could still keep one hand on the wheel.

• Like 2