RetroMower

Ever see wheels like these?

RetroMower

I saw this ad on FB a while ago and been dying to ask if these are homemade or a rare wheel horse accessory. Either way I'm at a loss to guess what they would be for. 

20200306_143106.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib

I dont know if they are rare but they 

sure are cool lookin!

richmondred01
1 minute ago, The Tool Crib said:

I dont know if they are rare but they 

sure are cool lookin!

they sure are

The Tuul Crib

Ill bet they are great for aerating

the yard!

Stormin

I'd say home made and for show. Neat though. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Thanks 1

Sparky

Isn’t there some group or religion that doesn’t allow their people to ride on rubber tires? Amish? Quakers? Mennonites? Maybe I’m way off here :eusa-think:

• Haha 2

rjg854

That Horse has been at the Big Show off and on over the years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib
1 minute ago, Sparky said:

Isn’t there some group that doesn’t allow their people to ride on rubber tires? Amish? Quakers? Mennonites? Maybe I’m way off here :eusa-think:

Alot of amish dont own tractors. Use electricity and dont own cars.

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Isn’t there some group or religion that doesn’t allow their people to ride on rubber tires? Amish? Quakers? Mennonites? Maybe I’m way off here :eusa-think:

I don't know which one but you are correct about that.

I know the Mennonites here in Maine do have cars so they're out, at least in the Northeast......

Awesome wheels by the way.

richmondred01

I wouldn’t want it to roll on my foot. 

• Haha 3

paxz71usa

Looks like the wheels i saw on a John Deere rider near New Holland PA. A Mennonite girl was mowing with it. Some Mennonites don't allow rubber tires just like the Amish. Most of their big field tractors have steel wheels also.

:USA:          Gary

Edited by paxz71usa
  • Like 1

rjg854

It's the Amish, that don't own cars , have electric or plumbing in their homes. 

Pollack Pete

Gotta ride rough as hell,but at least no more flat tires.

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, Alex175 said:

Another reason I love this forum.  I remember seeing this a few months ago and thought, huh, that's neat...then I read the comments.  The vast majority of the facebook comments were hyper critical "why would you do that" "that's just dumb" "kills the value, you're an idiot".  You all are a wholesome group, and I appreciate it.

Hence, RED SQUARE is the only social media site I use.

I know there are folks that would think it counterintuitive to go to the trouble of building something like those wheels and then get them all scratched up but I can't help wondering how they would do for traction in my forest.

We were seriously considering building a set of steel wheels for Colossus which is basically going to be my heavy load pulling tractor.

Sparky
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I can't help wondering how they would do for traction in my forest.

We were seriously considering building a set of steel wheels for Colossus which is basically going to be my heavy load pulling tractor.

I think soft rubber tires with the correct (or slightly under) air pressure that “squish and mold” to whatever your driving over would provide better traction over these steelies. 
  I’ve found that 2 ply tires offer better traction than similar tires with 4 or 6 plies. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
Just now, Sparky said:

I think soft rubber tires with the correct (or slightly under) air pressure that “squish and mold” to whatever your driving over would provide better traction over these steelies. 
  I’ve found that 2 ply tires offer better traction than similar tires with 4 or 6 plies. 

The reading and video watching that I had done a few months ago would indicate that you are correct about that.

I don't remember the exact reason but I remember reading several different places that said a certain amount of slippage is actually a good thing. Steel wheels with a big enough cleat can't slip and as you can imagine have a serious propensity to rotate the entire tractor until it is upside down. As funny as that sounds I decided it wasn't a good idea for me.

• Like 1

Sparky
11 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

The reading and video watching that I had done a few months ago would indicate that you are correct about that.

I don't remember the exact reason but I remember reading several different places that said a certain amount of slippage is actually a good thing. Steel wheels with a big enough cleat can't slip and as you can imagine have a serious propensity to rotate the entire tractor until it is upside down. As funny as that sounds I decided it wasn't a good idea for me.

I also think the steelies in the picture here are more for the “cool factor” or show and weren’t built for hard work. The inner part or rim looks to have only three spokes. I bet if you were hauling logs out of your forest Eric and you whacked a big ol’ Maine potato sticking outa the ground just right you would bend that steel grating tread section. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Sparky said:

I also think the steelies in the picture here are more for the “cool factor” or show and weren’t built for hard work. The inner part or rim looks to have only three spokes. I bet if you were hauling logs out of your forest Eric and you whacked a big ol’ Maine potato sticking outa the ground just right you would bend that steel grating tread section. 

Oh yes. Almost certainly.

stevasaurus

I think you are right Mike...the cool factor.  On the other side, I started going through a bunch of show pictures I had.  seems, I was thinking a lot of the walk behinds and real early riders had different types of steel wheels.  Here is a few...

2009_0608leafriver0005.JPG

2009_0608leafriver0004.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

pfrederi

Trying to copy rice-land tractor wheels??

rice 1.JPG

Rice2.JPG

rice3.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, Sparky said:

It wasn't the Mennonites,       I think it was the Norubbertireites.               :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 7

Tractorhead

I don't know much about Amish life neither religious issues or lifestyles,
but I can imagine that these steel tires have made advantages in muddy fields,

but whatever the reason for that built was, I doubt they were built for use Onroad.

In muddy fields, I think the steeltyres don't hurt your back badly while driving 

and because of the fence surface, i can imagine they are ahead in muddy areas

because there was no profile, than can clog.
additional the paddles inside can maybe helpful in wet area also to get more traction.

could be an interesting test, if and where they work best.

Maybe paddelties? 😂

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 1

Darb1964

Prevents mud from sticking to the wheel. Some places the soil sticks to everything.

Pullstart
4 hours ago, Sparky said:

I’m willing to bet those three spokes are stronger than one might think.  Remember, max 6-7 mph, but probably more like 2-3 mph work speed.  Now, I’m sure a Maine potato would still give it a headache :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1