Oldskool

GT-14 A diamond in the rough

Oldskool

So i was just chatting with the PO of the GT. I asked if he had an engine kicking around. Nope he didn't. BUT when I showed him a pic of the piston and mentioned the connecting rod he gave me THIS to offset the blown engine. What a deal.

102_0630.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

So i was just chatting with the PO of the GT. I asked if he had an engine kicking around. Nope he didn't. BUT when I showed him a pic of the piston and mentioned the connecting rod he gave me THIS to offset the blown engine. What a deal.

102_0630.JPG

@Stepney

Chekkissoutt

• Like 1

Stepney
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@Stepney

Chekkissoutt

I remember seeing this in the original post ..

Nice old L series. Late model 'higher output' 7.25 horse.

That machine will outlast us all.

• Like 2

Oldskool
1 minute ago, Stepney said:

I remember seeing this in the original post ..

Nice old L series. Late model 'higher output' 7.25 horse.

That machine will outlast us all.

I'd trade for a Kohler 14hp k321

Stepney
1 minute ago, Oldskool said:

I'd trade for a Kohler 14hp k321

Wish I had one hahah. Have a K301 with almost no hours on it, but that's only a 12.

Have a 321 in a WorkHorse tractor but I use that often, and it has the later type charging system with no regulator.

• Like 1

Oldskool
4 minutes ago, Stepney said:

Wish I had one hahah. Have a K301 with almost no hours on it, but that's only a 12.

Have a 321 in a WorkHorse tractor but I use that often, and it has the later type charging system with no regulator.

Well keep it in mind lol.I will be picking it up this weekend. Honestly I know nothing about the condition of it. I'm sure I will have an update on here about it

Stepney
1 minute ago, Oldskool said:

Well keep it in mind lol.I will be picking it up this weekend. Honestly I know nothing about the condition of it. I'm sure I will have an update on here about it

Love to see it. Built somepoint between 1965 and 75 by that motor. Looks like a Model L 2 speed. There were 4 variants of the L, all geared differently, and one commercial model.

• Like 1

oldredrider

I don't see a problem with that motor. Brought back many in much worse shape. 

One that comes to mind was a K341 bored .030 over and had a deep score in the cylinder. It's been my "go to" tractor for over 5 years and doesn't shy from anything. 

A sleeve and some machine work would fix it right up.

• Like 1

Oldskool
11 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

I don't see a problem with that motor. Brought back many in much worse shape. 

One that comes to mind was a K341 bored .030 over and had a deep score in the cylinder. It's been my "go to" tractor for over 5 years and doesn't shy from anything. 

A sleeve and some machine work would fix it right up.

It has a broken connecting rod too and I would guess something else if I opened it up

oliver2-44

@WheelhorseWes Might have a k321 he'd part with.

• Like 1

oldredrider
56 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

It has a broken connecting rod too and I would guess something else if I opened it up

Still not scared! Just a part of a rebuild.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool
12 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

Still not scared! Just a part of a rebuild.

No scaredy cats here just monetarily challenged lmao

Edited by Oldskool
  • Like 2

wallfish

How far are you willing to travel for a 14 hp Kohler? You're way up there but think I have one for ya. It came back after it was used on a log splitter for a couple years. The splitter crapped out and the guy saved the engine but it would still need to be looked at and fired up because I know it sat outside on the splitter, but let me know. When it left here the first time it ran nice and sweet.

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, wallfish said:

How far are you willing to travel

@Oldskool

Might take me three or four weeks but I could get that to my house. I have to go to Western Mass at some point.

That would cut a Fair chunk of the journey off...

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

gwest_ca
11 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Where should the I'd tag for the tractor by hiding. I dont even know what year it is

On a 1969 GT-14 it is here. Second picture is 1971.

Garry

Tractor 1969 GT-14 Serial SS.jpg

Tractor 1971 GT-14 Seriala SS.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool

@wallfish. @ebinmaine Thanks guys I will keep that in mind. I have some feelers out up here. We will see what happens. If not I may just take you up on it

19richie66

Glad you got it. Looks nice and complete. I’ll be watching this one too. :coffee:

• Like 1

Pullstart

Just for grins and giggles, have you thought about seeing about machining the old block and crank?  I’d start by building an E-tank for the block and all the associated parts, source a set of valves and get a quote.  It might surprise you how cheap you can rebuild it...

• Like 2

Oldskool

I showed the pic to a friend he was thinking it jas to be sleeved as well

19richie66

Also something to think about is converting your front spindles to trailer hubs. I did mine by installing sleeves on  the axle portion with a 1" od sleeve and then put trailer hubs on it. Switched to 5 lug wheels and they were wider than the stock wheels.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Also something to think about is converting your front spindles to trailer hubs. I did mine by installing sleeves on  the axle portion with a 1" od sleeve and then put trailer hubs on it. Switched to 5 lug wheels and they were wider than the stock wheels.

I'll be doing that on Colossus at some point.

I got a hold of the folks at etrailer and was pleasantly surprised at how inexpensive the parts are.

• Excellent 1

19richie66

Yes. Agri supply is where I got my wheels & hubs from. Bearing & seals also. Sleeves from ebay.

post #256

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Bill D

I have a K321 from a 1984 314-8 that I would be willing to let go.  I has about 745 hours on it and doesn't burn oil, but it does have a knock.  I probably will never get around to fixing it.  PM me if interested.  Bill

• Like 1

Oldskool
9 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

That is a great idea. I dont know how I missed it. I think I have everything here other than the sleeve, but I can make that no problem. Sounds like tomorrow's project

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oldskool
3 hours ago, Bill D said:

I have a K321 from a 1984 314-8 that I would be willing to let go.  I has about 745 hours on it and doesn't burn oil, but it does have a knock.  I probably will never get around to fixing it.  PM me if interested.  Bill

Thanks Bill. I will be thinking it over