Willlawre

In a pickle

Sparky

Are you set on the 520 models only? Right in Mass is a 314 hydro with hydraulic lift...

B52FD88B-1859-41A2-8730-DA43F9AB9F57.png

Would you consider a manual tranny/lift machine? Here’s a 414-8 in Connecticut with a deck with bagger, snow blower, snow plow and cast iron wheel weights and tire chains. 
8CFC49AF-9C57-4C34-ADE7-B8A5C8362BD3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Sparky said:

414-8 in Connecticut

Those implements alone are worth most of that money

Willlawre

I'm not set on a 520 but I am by all means set on getting a horse and not so other kind. I hadn't a clue fb had a marketplace I havent been on there in oh prolly about 6 years or so. When the wife get home this morning from driving the bus I'm gonna have to go on hers. I'd take anyone of those machines for my first horse. @ebinmaine your right about that being over priced up here. All the decent condition ones that I've and at a decent price have been new jersey and south from there north you get prolly and extra 500 on the price it seems

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Supply , demand and location seem 

to work into play. They become a little

more scarce here in Tennessee and 

l also have seen the same thing 

with over priced machines. Dont give up the search!! 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, Willlawre said:

I'm not set on a 520 but I am by all means set on getting a horse and not so other kind. I hadn't a clue fb had a marketplace I havent been on there in oh prolly about 6 years or so. When the wife get home this morning from driving the bus I'm gonna have to go on hers. I'd take anyone of those machines for my first horse. @ebinmaine your right about that being over priced up here. All the decent condition ones that I've and at a decent price have been new jersey and south from there north you get prolly and extra 500 on the price it seems

You mentioned in an earlier post that you would have been willing to travel as far as Pennsylvania to get the right tractor. Having that, and also having the knowledge that things in your area are going to be a bit on the high side is a huge advantage for you.

The 414 - 8 listed above by Sparky.

If that is in decent running condition as a tractor, not counting the implements, that would be a fantastic bet for you. Something along those lines...

If you want to keep it even more simple and even more easy to work on ... you could look at mid-70s C 120 or 160 as stated in one of the previous posts.

I have a c-160 and it is an absolute beast of a machine.

• Excellent 2

oilwell1415

I'm still pretty new at the tiny tractor game, but I would not anywhere near that for the tractor.  There are nicer tractors for half the money.

As far as a used WH vs a new JD, that isn't even really a discussion.  A new JD will cost you a huge sum of its purchase price in depreciation as soon as you take it home.  You'll use it until it's basically not worth anything compared to its original price and sell it only to start over with another tractor.  Almost any used WH you buy is worth as little as its ever going to be worth as long as you take care of it and don't get robbed on the purchase and it will still be going strong long after the JD is worn out.  You can use the WH for 10 years and get your money back.  Financially a new tractor just doesn't make much sense unless you are completely unable of doing your own maintenance and repairs.  In that case having a new machine that will hopefully have minimal issues, and has a warranty to save you for any that do come up, may be worth it.  With shop rates at $100-$150/hour for lawnmower repair it won't take long to make up the difference if you have a problem.  As solid at the old WH tractors are, you never know how one has been treated and what that will lead to.

• Like 2

midpack

my FIL bought a Kubota brand new. they have him convinced (warranty?) that only they can do service like oil changes. they literally come with a trailer, pick up the tractor, bring it to their place and do the service. The cost is crazy!

he's had a few things go wrong too, leaky hydraulics (only they could service) bent a wheel on the mower deck (that one I fixed :) ). IIRC he spent in the 17K range for it. way too rich for me

it might be nice to have something brand new, but that doesn't last long

• Sad 1

Willlawre

@Sparky thanks for those ones I found them on the market place. I have read the 520 wiring is more complicated than others. Sent message to one and just waiting for a reply. I don't think 850 for that with all the attachments is to terrible. Way less than the one I posted and much more solid looking. There were more pictures of it but his post expired right before I posted here so I couldn't upload any of the other ones. But hey thanks again everybody its been a joy as usual. Off for my first W.H. of a few this weekend hopefully!

@midpack @oilwell1415 @ebinmaine @Tractorhead @ZXT @WildmanC120 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Willlawre said:

Off for my first W.H. of a few this weekend

You probably better get building a barn

Trina and I started out with one, three years ago?

We now have 4.

7 by the end of the summer.

Oh man....

• Haha 1

953 nut
14 hours ago, Willlawre said:

Father In law says it wont plow my driveway cuz its gravel and would move it around when I'm plowing. 

You can put a pair of shoes on the blade to hold it up 1/2" or so and hardly any gravel would be moved. Chances are the snow plow will already have them on it.

:confusion-confused:    Another option would be to invite your FIL to come over and shovel it very carefully.         :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Pullstart

Best of luck wrangling your first Horse!  I agree tenfold with everything people have posted.  I didn’t realize the condition of the 520 as most fellas have pointed out.  I also agree with the need for some barn space.  Horses are herd animals, similar to our tractors!  As I’ve quoted my old co-worker before, “One’s too many and eighteen’s never enough.”  He was talking drinks at the bar, but that pretty much applies for tractors too :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

Pollack Pete
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

The 414 - 8 listed above by Sparky.

If that is in decent running condition as a tractor, not counting the implements, that would be a fantastic bet for you. Something along those lines...

I have a 414-8 that I've been mowing with the last couple years.Except for critters getting under the engine tin and eating the coil wiring,I have had zero problems.Can't kill those Kohler engines.Plus they're more than capable of hard work while sipping fuel.Good luck in your search.

Sparky
4 hours ago, Willlawre said:

II hadn't a clue fb had a marketplace I havent been on there in oh prolly about 6 years

I’ve found that FB Marketplace has  many more Wheel Horse ads. Advertising WH’s on Craigslist has dwindled. Hardly anything new has been posted in my area in a week or so whereas FB marketplace has new tractors to view almost daily. 
  You still have to deal with non-responsive sellers, it’s no better in that regard than Craigslist. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
16 hours ago, pullstart said:

Trust me, I’ve never had one!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Yes FB is a good place to buy a tractor. Trust me, I've never bought one there! :lol:

• Haha 2

Rfp55

Ugly=cheap. That should be much less, like a thousand less.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

non-responsive sellers

Baffles-the-hellouttamee....

:confusion-shrug:

Makes me super curious to know the circumstances.

Why advertise????

:confusion-confused:

Unless it was a honey-do suggestion...

:lol:

• Haha 1

Willlawre

So fellas.... I’ve got a couple options I’ve moved off of the 520s. I found a super clean looking 318h I’m kinda keen on it because I’ve seen quite a few of these around here for parts if ever need be. I also came across a c121 that’s really clean as well it has the 12hp kohler k series cast iron. I really like this one too but I’ve maybe seen 1 or 2 over priced ones before. Are they hard to get parts for them? Which do you prefer?

7403560A-3E47-4FF9-9037-3B9B785A321E.png

Willlawre

Here’s the 318 wouldn’t up load in the other post

7403560A-3E47-4FF9-9037-3B9B785A321E.png

57360F8B-38FD-4B8B-BBB1-4F34CD7A6538.png

Willlawre

B291FF47-C6A8-4575-86BB-11AD9F3C7CED.png

Willlawre

I’m honestly not picky about which I get it being my first horse. The 318 is $900 the c120 $750. Both in my price range and enough left over to find a mowing deck and garden plow for it.

Edited by Willlawre

ebinmaine

That 314 or C121 would suit you very well either way.

I personally prefer the older C120/1, etc.

Parts availability for those is excellent.

Lots of sources over the internet.

314 would give you a couple more horse but the 121 would be plenty for your intended usage and be a bit easier to maintain/repair.

It appears that the 121 may have had work done to the hood. Paint? Decals changed?

Hard to say from the angle.

Any idea of hours on either one?

Darb1964

The 12 or14, are good choices, I would go with the one that seems to be in the best shape.

New tractor for those that are in the market, I would buy a kubota. My 3010 has been dependable to say the least, bought it new in 2000 has about thousand hours on it. I have worked it hard, abused it at Times when I had to, as good now as the day I got it. Efficient on fuel is an understatement, my 520-h has been the same and had the same treatment and has held up as good. I had the dealer do the first service and I have done it there after on both. The 520 is on the thirsty side. I'll have them both until I'm on the other side of the sod, 

• Like 1

ZXT

Both the 314 and the C-121 look like decent tractors.

The C-121 looks to have had work done to it, as Eric pointed out. Definitely not the original decals. It does have wheel weights and front hub caps whereas the 314 doesn't. Looks like it's running in the picture, and it doesn't really look like it has a metal gas screen on it. Looks to be plastic, which might indicate that the engine is newer. Might be a 12hp, might not be. 

The 314 looks like a very well taken care of tractor. Doesn't have any of the modifications that the C-121 does. It looks like a nicer tractor overall, the the extra 2HP doesn't hurt. Only real downside is it doesn't have the weights, which are worth a bit by themselves.

If it were me, as much as I love C-series, I'd go for the 314. It's physical condition leads me to believe that it was well taken care of.

• Like 1

Achto

I suggest buy them both!!🤗 One to plow the driveway & garden, one for mowing the lawn. Plus it would make a good start on having a heard of Horse's.😊 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

You’re still under the 12k budget... @Achto does have a point...

• Like 3