Pullstart

Ladder woes

Pullstart

So yesterday I took a video to post for @ZXT while on a ladder against the racking in my back barn.  The ladder has rubber pads, but the floor was dusty.  Well, the ladder got sick of holding me up.  My feet were probably 9’ off the ground when I went down.  Unfortunately the film somehow got cut short.  Fortunately I survived the fall with just a scrape on my shin!  It could have been so much worse and I’m well aware of it!

Feel free to watch the whole video, but the first and last 20 seconds or so would explain where I was and where I ended up!

• Sad 7

Achto

Glad that you only got minor injuries Kevin. There could have been some major injuries involved. Yet another catastrophe escaped.:handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Achto
  • Thanks 1

Cvans

I did the same thing 2 years ago and still have a large lump on the front of my left knee. 

Glad your weren't seriously hurt. 

• Thanks 1

Sparky

Glad to hear the injuries were minor. Falling sucks...especially as we get older. 

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

ZXT

I'm just glad that I didn't get you killed! There have to be better feet you can get for extension ladders that actually grip.. Maybe I need to patent and produce those!

I figured you intentionally cropped the video so that we didn't get the whole fall and hear all of the expletives on the way down!

Edited by ZXT
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
22 minutes ago, ZXT said:

I'm just glad that I didn't get you killed! There have to be better feet you can get for extension ladders that actually grip.. Maybe I need to patent and produce those!

I figured you intentionally cropped the video so that we didn't get the whole fall and hear all of the expletives on the way down!

I wish it stayed recording, I’m not smart enough to crop a video!

• Haha 2

JAinVA

Kev,

Gravity sucks.Glad you are not seriously hurt.No suggestions or comments other than I'm glad your okay.Luck,JAinVA.

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Whow, glad to hear you didn‘t hurt yorself much after that quickstep

Buddy,

don‘t build yourself a Stairway to heaven, We need you👍

• Haha 1

Mikey the Monkey

yikes kevaroo, youre too young to leave us. glad youre ok. good thing youre part mountain lion

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

rjg854

That sure didn't sound good, Kevin, glad it turned out as good as it did.

• Like 2

squonk

Ladder angle was too severe.Also should be tied off and floor clean. Yes you were very lucky. I got knocked off a ladder once. All I had to grab was ceiling grid and conduit. Lucky for me someone was close before all that gave way..

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Ladder angle was too severe.Also should be tied off and floor clean. Yes you were very lucky. I got knocked off a ladder once. All I had to grab was ceiling grid and conduit. Lucky for me someone was close before all that gave way..

I’m planning on putting together a tie off hook, that was one of the first things I thought of.  Along with cleaning the floor too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

So on the 7th of March, I threw out my back doing maple syrup modifications.  I’ve been to the chiropractor 6 times since then and have basically done nothing since.  I’ve tried a few little things, but always revert back to the horizontal position, trying to lay flat and straight.  I have neglected to REMEMBER to tell the doc about my fall.  Today I was reminded by my loving children and remembered to tell Doc too. He told me if I don’t feel better after today, I need to go get x-rays.  What a perfect time to need to visit the family doctor’s office!

• Sad 4

Cvans

Boy I hope you can get a handle on this. Back injuries are miserable to deal with. 

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Double header today... two chiropractors.  The second one is a further drive, but a much more complete experience with x-day and all.  Nothing is broken.  My sacrum from left to right is off 13 mm.... left side of my body is 15 lbs heavier.  Tomorrow will be a day of rest, Thursday I go back again.  Sheesh!

• Sad 2

953 nut
8 hours ago, pullstart said:

I’ve been to the chiropractor 6 times since then and have basically done nothing since.

PLEASE!   Ask your doctor to order an MRI. I went to a chiropractor for years with each successive event getting worse. MRI revealed problems that didn't show up on an X-ray.

• Like 2

JAinVA

Kev,

I messed up my back when I was your age so I get it.There have been days when it took 30 minutes to get out of bed it hurt so much.I tried chiropractors and gave up on them.I found that if I laid on my back on the floor and pulled my knees up and grabbed them to slowly stretch the lower back muscles it helped with the lower back pain.Some doctors say heat and some say ice.The experts have different opinions so you have to find what gives you relief.Hope you find an answer.Jim

Edited by JAinVA
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart
6 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Kev,

I messed up my back when I was your age so I get it.There have been days when it took 30 minutes to get out of bed it hurt so much.I tried chiropractors and gave up on them.I found that if I laid on my back on the floor and pulled my knees up and grabbed them to slowly stretch the lower back muscles it helped with the lower back muscle pain.Some doctors say heat and some say ice.The experts have different opinions so you have to find what gives you relief.Hope you find an answer.Jim

I’ll give this ‘cracker a chance, he’s always done me well.  

A few years back, he taught me that method too.  When I can get to the point of bringing my knee to my chest, I’ll stretch that way.  For now, I’m alternating heat and ice and having a tv night with the fam!

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

JAinVA

Sounds like a plan.Glad you understand the technique as my description was at best lacking.I have tried a lot of things over the years and found it and one other thing has helped.If your problem is a muscle issue and not what Dick was highlighting.In the future listen to what the muscles are trying to tell you,If mine say we don't like this movement,I stop and it helps a lot. As Clint Eastwood says a man has to know his limitations.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

So happy to report that I haven’t had pain meds in 8 hours or so but can actually walk from the house to the chicken coop and back without whining to myself!  It’s time for ice again and bed.  I am looking forward to Thursday morning and another good visit to the chiropractor.

• Like 1

JAinVA

In my experience the pain meds are more harm than help.My doctors only prescribe anti-inflamitories.Pain meds do little to heal and only allow you to further damage the muscles. because you don't hurt.Rest and listening to the back muscles will go a long way to your recovery.Take care,Jim.

• Thanks 2
  • Heart 1

Pullstart
10 hours ago, JAinVA said:

In my experience the pain meds are more harm than help.My doctors only prescribe anti-inflamitories.Pain meds do little to heal and only allow you to further damage the muscles. because you don't hurt.Rest and listening to the back muscles will go a long way to your recovery.Take care,Jim.

They are surely not used like candy around here... but I had to give in just to make it to the tuck and back :(

• Sad 4

ZXT
13 hours ago, pullstart said:

They are surely not used like candy around here... but I had to give in just to make it to the tuck and back :(

I really feel awful for asking for a picture of your buggy. I hope you start feeling better soon. 

• Haha 1

Pullstart
11 minutes ago, ZXT said:

I really feel awful for asking for a picture of your buggy. I hope you start feeling better soon. 

It’s just speculation what caused this Jonah.  No worries!

• Like 1

Pullstart

https://www.verywellhealth.com/sacroiliac-joint-pain-moves-296392

I feel like I am finally ready to start some stretches and possibly realigning my SI joint like @JAinVA mentioned above.  Here is a link as to what he was talking about (I think).  I hope that soon I’ll be able to get through all the steps listed!

• Heart 1