rmaynard

Building A New Pole Shed For The Horses

Stormin

I don't know if you lads do it, but I painted my workshop floor with floor paint. Keeps the dust down and any spillage or leak can be easily cleaned up.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Stormin said:

I don't know if you lads do it, but I painted my workshop floor with floor paint. Keeps the dust down and any spillage or leak can be easily cleaned up.

I find that to be a great idea.

After we had the major oil spill in our cellar a little over a year ago they put a two-part coating down and it's fantastic for wiping up.

tunahead72
3 hours ago, rmaynard said:

… Hope this helps.

It certainly does, thank you! :text-thankyouyellow:  I think I'll be able to do something similar with my shed, assuming of course the Finance Department here at home approves this whole plan. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Zeek

Not sure what your plan is as far as how you are running the electric, but I rented one of these with a backfill blade. Worked GREAT even if it hit a rock. . . threw them right out of the ditch. Granted, I'm in sand here, but you just go as slow as needed depending on terrain. I had a 100' ditch open and closed in about 2 hours. The machine is heavy so it compacts the soil after you backfill. I didn't use conduit, I used direct bury feeder wire like the power company uses for underground to homes. Mine has a 100A panel in the garage with a separate main breaker from the house, in other words not a "sub-panel".

I threw a 1/2" PEX water line in the ditch while I had it open which I'm glad I did. Full pressure water at the building side now. I got a 100' roll off eBay for less than $30.

1277378705_ditchwitch.jpg.dae00fc41557257cfd02ef1e5131c041.jpg

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard
5 hours ago, Zeek said:

Not sure what your plan is as far as how you are running the electric, but I rented one of these with a backfill blade. Worked GREAT even if it hit a rock. . . threw them right out of the ditch. Granted, I'm in sand here, but you just go as slow as needed depending on terrain. I had a 100' ditch open and closed in about 2 hours. The machine is heavy so it compacts the soil after you backfill. I didn't use conduit, I used direct bury feeder wire like the power company uses for underground to homes. Mine has a 100A panel in the garage with a separate main breaker from the house, in other words not a "sub-panel".

I threw a 1/2" PEX water line in the ditch while I had it open which I'm glad I did. Full pressure water at the building side now. I got a 100' roll off eBay for less than $30.

1277378705_ditchwitch.jpg.dae00fc41557257cfd02ef1e5131c041.jpg

This is exactly what I plan to do. I have a 50 amp panel in the garage. Nothing of significance is running off of it except the 240 volt 20 amp air compressor, which is moving to the new building. I purchased 125 ft. of 8/2 UF-B, direct burial wire, which can easily carry 40 amps. The distance from the garage panel to the closest corner of the pole building is 94 ft. I had planned to direct bury it, but I was given 10 pieces of pvc conduit, so using that, my depth will only have to be 18 inches, or 12" if I put 2" of concrete on top of it.

Unfortunately, no water will be run due to the Maryland winters.

• Like 2

mmmmmdonuts
17 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

This is exactly what I plan to do. I have a 50 amp panel in the garage. Nothing of significance is running off of it except the 240 volt 20 amp air compressor, which is moving to the new building. I purchased 125 ft. of 8/2 UF-B, direct burial wire, which can easily carry 40 amps. The distance from the garage panel to the closest corner of the pole building is 94 ft. I had planned to direct bury it, but I was given 10 pieces of pvc conduit, so using that, my depth will only have to be 18 inches, or 12" if I put 2" of concrete on top of it.

If I were you and planning on using conduit I highly highly recommend using thhn wire. It is much easier to pull through conduit than UF wire would be. 

Just get spools of it or get it cut to length at either at an electrical store or the big orange or blue store. You just need red, black, white and green. 

One last thing if you're going to use the UF cable any reason you wouldn't run 8/3 for the 240 feed? That way you can split off lights and 110 outlets as necessary.  

• Like 2

rjg854
On 3/19/2020 at 8:32 AM, rmaynard said:

Nope, no drain. No slope except for the apron. The building is water-tight. Rained hard last night. Overhead door seals tight. I have installed perimeter drainage around the base of the building so water can't come in from below.

I see you are in a snowy area, that's why I was wondering about snow and ice collecting on the floor with no place to drain off to. 

rmaynard
17 hours ago, mmmmmdonuts said:

One last thing if you're going to use the UF cable any reason you wouldn't run 8/3 for the 240 feed? That way you can split off lights and 110 outlets as necessary.  

When my house was built in 1978, the electric service came in on two lines and a ground. In the breaker box all neutrals and grounds share the same buss. All 240 volt appliances are simply 2 lines and a ground, no neutral. The garage panel is fed from the house off a 50 amp breaker and ground, no neutral. I was planning on feeding the new building the same way off a 30 amp breaker.

CORRECTION

So, after posting this, I went to bed. I woke in the middle of the night thinking that something was not quite correct. So this morning I went to the electric panel in the house and traced the circuit from the breaker to the cable going to the garage. Sure enough, it was two hots, a neutral, and a ground. So I went to the panel box in the garage and it is set up with two buss bars, one neutral and one ground. As they say, the memory is the second thing to go. Having refreshed the situation, I am going to run three 8 gauge wires and a ground to the new building.

Thank you @mmmmmdonuts for asking the question.

Edited by rmaynard
Dumbness
  • Thanks 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Sure is looking sweet. Cant wait for the herd to move in. 

Glenn

mmmmmdonuts

Glad I could help Bob. So are you running individual wires or the 8/3 UF now? 

I did have one other thing to suggest. When doing a subpanel it is often cheaper to buy a main panel instead and you get breakers that you need anyways with it. Generally you just have to buy a separate grounding bar for it.

Something like this. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-Homeline-100-Amp-20-Space-40-Circuit-Indoor-Main-Breaker-Plug-On-Neutral-Load-Center-with-Cover-Value-Pack-HOM2040M100PCVP/204836397

Or this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-Homeline-125-Amp-12-Space-24-Circuit-Indoor-Main-Lug-Plug-On-Neutral-Load-Center-with-Cover-Ground-Bar-Value-Pack-HOM1224L125PGCVP/204836334

Just a thought. You can use a 100Amp breaker on the main panel as long as you have a 40Amp breaker feeding it. 

• Like 1

rmaynard
1 hour ago, mmmmmdonuts said:

Glad I could help Bob. So are you running individual wires or the 8/3 UF now? 

So, unless there is a reason why I shouldn't, I am running both the 8/2 w/ground and another 8 gauge THHN in conduit. Since I already have one, I'm thinking of driving an 8 ft. ground rod as well, and run a 6-gauge copper wire to the breaker box. There is no requirement in my jurisdiction for grounding the pole building itself. 

I already have a breaker box.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-BR-125-Amp-8-Space-16-Circuit-Indoor-Main-Lug-Loadcenter-with-Flush-Door-BR816L125FDP/100161980

• Like 1

mmmmmdonuts

I don't see why you couldn't do it that way. I would never have thought of trying to run the wire like that but since you have it I don't think you're in a code violation. Just buy a Red Thhn wire so you have the standard color matching.

Red, black - Hot

White -Neutral

Green/bare - ground

• Like 1

Lee1977
On 3/25/2020 at 12:19 PM, rmaynard said:

So, unless there is a reason why I shouldn't, I am running both the 8/2 w/ground and another 8 gauge THHN in conduit. Since I already have one, I'm thinking of driving an 8 ft. ground rod as well, and run a 6-gauge copper wire to the breaker box. There is no requirement in my jurisdiction for grounding the pole building itself. 

I already have a breaker box.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-BR-125-Amp-8-Space-16-Circuit-Indoor-Main-Lug-Loadcenter-with-Flush-Door-BR816L125FDP/100161980

Code here requires 4 wires to a remote box the ground wire has to go back to main braker box. I don't agree as ground is ground not mater where it's at, but I had toput in a forth wire because it was inspected.

rmaynard
2 hours ago, mmmmmdonuts said:

I don't see why you couldn't do it that way. I would never have thought of trying to run the wire like that but since you have it I don't think you're in a code violation. Just buy a Red Thhn wire so you have the standard color matching.

Red, black - Hot

White -Neutral

Green/bare - ground

Yep,the single THHN that I got is red.

Zeek
On 3/21/2020 at 9:58 PM, rmaynard said:

So, after posting this, I went to bed. I woke in the middle of the night thinking that something was not quite correct. So this morning I went to the electric panel in the house and traced the circuit from the breaker to the cable going to the garage. Sure enough, it was two hots, a neutral, and a ground. So I went to the panel box in the garage and it is set up with two buss bars, one neutral and one ground. As they say, the memory is the second thing to go. Having refreshed the situation, I am going to run three 8 gauge wires and a ground to the new building.

This happens to me all the time (I'm sure not the only one). I wake up at who knows what time and my mind starts turning how how to do a certain task in different ways :eusa-think::eusa-doh:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Zeek said:

This happens to me all the time (I'm sure not the only one). I wake up at who knows what time and my mind starts turning how how to do a certain task in different ways :eusa-think::eusa-doh:

No worries guys.... I only do that.... Every single day...

:lol:

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Looking good Bob. Tons of space in there. What are the next 14 horses you're going to buy?

:hide:

• Like 1

rmaynard
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

What are the next 14 horses you're going to buy?

:hide:

Well, I was hoping to come home from the big show with a 416-H or 520-H that I can keep equipped with my 42" mower, while my current one stays equipped with the 48" blade. But not this time.

Update: Renting a trencher this weekend to run electric. Wish me luck with that. Going to have to go through one of my wife's flower beds. I promised her that no harm would come to any of her treasured hydrangeas. :disgust: But since I've never used a trencher, I might just be sleeping in the new pole shed this weekend.

• Haha 4

tunahead72
27 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

.... I promised her that no harm would come to any of her treasured hydrangeas. :disgust: ...

What the heck were you thinking, Bob?  Definitely wishing you good luck!  You'll let us know how it turns out, right? :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

• Like 1

rmaynard
3 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

What the heck were you thinking, Bob?  Definitely wishing you good luck!  You'll let us know how it turns out, right? :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

I know, right? :eusa-doh:

• Haha 1

rmaynard

Rented the trencher this afternoon and have made significant progress.

IMG_20200626_161605665.jpg.96de37f36d039b5f4095e51f8118abbf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

rmaynard

IMG_20200626_161631760.jpg

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

tunahead72

So, have any treasured hydrangeas been harmed in the making of this trench yet? :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Stormin

Makes a nice neat job.  Beats a spade any day. :handgestures-thumbup: 

• Like 2