mikeeyre74

What is this creature?

mikeeyre74

I just picked up a wheel horse/Toro from a friend of mine. It is a square hood with an 18 hp Briggs & Stratton twin cylinder, Eaton 1100 automatic transmission, has hydraulic lift and appears to have been made sometime in the late 80s or early 90s. It has no badges on it otherwise. What do I have? the serial number and model number tag has been wiped clean and is unreadable. 

ebinmaine

Workhorse maybe?

Any pics would be very helpful.

Wishin4a416

Picture. Gt1848?

ZXT
24 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Any pics would be very helpful.

:text-yeahthat:

mikeeyre74

Lemme go take a pic. It’s NOT a workhorse. It’s red, not grey. 

• Like 1

953 nut

Perhaps a 1982 GT-1848

mikeeyre74
What is this?

49540531981_1e747d79fd_b.jpg

WTH

Sparky

I think the Workhorse series were the only WH’s to come from the factory with the 18 Briggs. Unless it’s had a motor transplant it’s a GT1800 or GT1848. Maybe someone wasn’t fond of the gray color, may have been repainted red :eusa-think: 

• Like 2

mikeeyre74

I doubt it on the repaint, because it has a full decal package and appears to be factory. It can’t be an 1848 because it is not a black hood model, it is newer than that. I just posted some pictures, so maybe that will help? I can’t see anything on this that looks modified or hacked or whatever, so I have a hard time believing that it is a motor swap… But anything is possible I guess? Everything works as it should.

mikeeyre74

The weird part is, it literally has no identifying decals or numbers on it and the serial number is blank. There are no clues here for me to work with?

Sparky

Just saw your pics. The Gt1800 series came with the deep and wide rear rims and the smooth front tread pattern like yours has. 
  The Briggs GT’s also don’t have a separate choke knob. The throttle when brought all the way up closed the choke. I don’t see a separate choke in your pics.

Sparky
1 minute ago, mikeeyre74 said:

It can’t be an 1848 because it is not a black hood model, it is newer than that. 

The GT1800 and 1848 were not Black Hoods. They had the same body style as The 300 and 400 series machines

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

mikeeyre74

Maybe you can’t see it in the photo there, but this one does have a standard separate choke, just like on all of my other machines. In the upper left-hand corner.

wallfish

Which models did WH paint the frame, front axle, ect. black?

Sparky
17 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Which models did WH paint the frame, front axle, ect. black?

The Work Horse series.
 If it isn’t a repaint then it had a hood and fender swap. 

cleat

I had a Work Horse 1600 and it had a little different looking engine in that the whole left side was perforated metal not closed in plastic looking like the 18 pictured.

Maybe just the difference between the 16 and 18.

Achto

Black frame, Briggs engine, I'm thinking that it's a Workhorse that has had the sheet metal repainted red. :twocents-mytwocents:

973310972_workhorse.jpg.ec2b80d949e2e45118026e415d91d217.jpg

• Like 2

mikeeyre74

If this is the case, that’s cool. But where would you get a decal set for this machine that lists absolutely zero information about the model number or what kind of tractor it is? This one has a full decal set on it that lists nothing. No “312-8“, no 520-H, nothing. Did they make a decal set that had no information listed?

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, mikeeyre74 said:

If this is the case, that’s cool. But where would you get a decal set for this machine that lists absolutely zero information about the model number or what kind of tractor it is? This one has a full decal set on it that lists nothing. No “312-8“, no 520-H, nothing. Did they make a decal set that had no information listed?

@Vinylguy

Terry can print some fantastic custom stuff.

I've had several full sets done.

• Excellent 1

mikeeyre74

Anything is possible. But this doesn’t look like anything special or custom. I will continue to research it. 

• Like 1

Sparky

Just looked closer at your pics, here’s the model number decal circled in blue. What’s it say? Can you take a close up pic?

29B891B9-D161-427A-80B6-C18FFFF00A28.jpeg

• Like 1

mikeeyre74

serial number and model number tag has been wiped clean and is unreadable.“ 

yep, first thing I looked for. It’s the sticker style tag and it’s blank, white as a ghost with no markings on it at all.  Figures!

heres a pic:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/3arYWY_BQzOPqVsU3Ar0GA.3NQIffbMTXVnKYNLLR8fo3

testing amazon ^^^

otherwise:

More evidence...

Edited by mikeeyre74

mikeeyre74
11 hours ago, Sparky said:

Just saw your pics. The Gt1800 series came with the deep and wide rear rims and the smooth front tread pattern like yours has. 
  The Briggs GT’s also don’t have a separate choke knob. The throttle when brought all the way up closed the choke. I don’t see a separate choke in your pics.

here we go:

More evidence...

The only modification I can see on the dashboard is that he had to replace the throttle cable and it works in reverse, with full speed in the downward position as opposed to upwards where it should be. He said he couldn’t find the correct replacement part.

wallfish
33 minutes ago, mikeeyre74 said:

serial number and model number tag has been wiped clean and is unreadable.“ 

yep, first thing I looked for. It’s the sticker style tag and it’s blank, white as a ghost with no markings on it at all.  Figures!

Probably better off anyway since it's been modified.

Lee1977

I think it's an 518 commerical. Look at the motion control rod. I though they all had Onans, maybe it's a prototype.

Edited by Lee1977