elcamino/wheelhorse

Light Bulbs

elcamino/wheelhorse

Ok all you electrical wizards . I need to replace all the bulbs in the instrument cluster of the 1984 (Money Pit ) El Camino . I have done a lot of research and due to numerous factors( one is they are too long ) Leds are out. Which of these would provide the brightest light ? #194 25 lm , #168 38lm or the 161 13 lm . I am going with the long life bulbs since they will out last me . Thanks for your help.

ebinmaine

the LM stands for lumens ?

The Tuul Crib

Not sure l would go with LEDs just 

causethe lights would be brite in your 

eyes while driving at nite:cool:. All though 

they could be dimmed. 

elcamino/wheelhorse
14 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

the LM stands for lumens ?

Yes

elcamino/wheelhorse
4 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Not sure l would go with LEDs just 

causethe lights would be brite in your 

eyes while driving at nite:cool:. All though 

they could be dimmed. 

I wish LEDs would work but too many problems. GM g body instrument panels on a good day are as dark as a cave. 

The Tuul Crib

So the higher the number on the lumens the brighter it is correct? That was always kind of confusing to me. Isn't there three terms they use to designate how bright the light is Including lumens being one of them?

elcamino/wheelhorse
1 minute ago, The Tool Crib said:

So the higher the number on the lumens the brighter it is correct? That was always kind of confusing to me. Isn't there three terms they use to designate how bright the light is Including lumens being one of them?

Your guess is as good as mine. That is the reason for the thread. lumens are on measure , then there is color and something else.I am too old to be this confused.

ebinmaine
47 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

194 25 lm , #168 38lm

Lumens are a  unit that indicates the brightness of a bulb. I don't know the exact scientific definition but Google could tell you that.

Simply put, the 168 is going to be a little brighter.

A few WORDS OF CAUTION.

Back in the late 80s and early 90s when I was messing around with mid 70s to early 80s GM cars I can remember having sockets get hotter than normal in the instrument cluster when replacing a 194 with a 168. In most instances this did not cause a problem but just keep it in mind.

squonk

Waldo,  Do you have any of the bulbs out yet? Some of the GM cars had the bulbs that  were soldered into the sockets on the instument cluster. You had to get the replacement bulb with the socket (or the socket separate and a push in bulb). Are you looking for something brighter because you can't see worth a hill of beans or do you want something cool to help pick up chicks?  They made orangey and bluish 194 bulbs.

Edited by squonk

elcamino/wheelhorse

Thanks  , now I only need to buy 8 pkgs of bulbs at $7.00 each . The money pit keeps getting deeper. This one part of the project on the dash is going run about $500.00 . No horse this year :(

DougC

In the 70's and 80's we always removed the inst. cluster and removed the twist sockets with the 194 bulb that was burned out being very cafeful not to damage the printed circuit contacts the socket contacted, A 194 bulb is plenty for lighting. The problem was where the engineers placed the bulbs. Some parts of the cluster were bright and easy to see while other parts were dim and not easily seen.

Blame the engineers...... Thats what all the GM technicians have done since the beginning of time.........;)

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Skunky , I pulled a instrument console out of a 85 Monte Carlo SS as a donor  just in case  the console in mine needs parts . Only too 2 hours to remove the donor console . Hopefully the money pit will roll into the vacant bay in my brother's garage need weekend . I have purchased 4 new gauges , all the bulb sockets , new circuit board for the Tic Toc Tach , and a new cable with condenser for the tach. Can't order printed circuit until my console is pull so part number is correct .

elcamino/wheelhorse

@DougC I blame the GM engineers every time I open hood and look at the electric carb . What a piece of C _ _ p.

• Haha 1

Stepney

Maybe a bit .. different. But I used 8v Lucas bulbs, probably from an Austin or an MG. They have real green tinted glass domes, and look fantastic. Even fit the housings of my old 195's in my Ford truck.

I forget the part number at the moment. 

I'd be wary of the 168 .. I hear they run way too hot and like EB said, could damage your housing. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

No horse this year

Get the 'camino goin...

Drive it to Maine.

I'll give you a pile-o-parts an' you can throw together a franken C.

squonk
23 minutes ago, Stepney said:

Maybe a bit .. different. But I used 8v Lucas bulbs, probably from an Austin or an MG. They have real green tinted glass domes, and look fantastic. Even fit the housings of my old 195's in my Ford truck.

I forget the part number at the moment. 

I'd be wary of the 168 .. I hear they run way too hot and like EB said, could damage your housing. 

You're a brave soul using Lucas parts for anything!!  :bow-blue:

• Haha 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

The 168 bulbs are listed for the turn signal indicator lights , bright high beam indicator and a couple of other warning lights. If GM had put the bulbs in the back of gauges it would not be a problem to see them . The engineers got around a fire pit and arrived at the 1/2 A_ _ instrument cluster . @ebinmaine The money pit would not make it to the BS , got a flat bed to haul it ?

squonk
34 minutes ago, DougC said:

In the 70's and 80's we always removed the inst. cluster and removed the twist sockets with the 194 bulb that was burned out being very cafeful not to damage the printed circuit contacts the socket contacted, A 194 bulb is plenty for lighting. The problem was where the engineers placed the bulbs. Some parts of the cluster were bright and easy to see while other parts were dim and not easily seen.

Blame the engineers...... Thats what all the GM technicians have done since the beginning of time.........;)

Dougie, Do you remember the Chevette clusters with the terminal strip that would break loose for the fuel gauge? I used to do at least 1 a week! :lol:

• Haha 1

DougC
2 minutes ago, squonk said:

Dougie, Do you remember the Chevette clusters with the terminal strip that would break loose for the fuel gauge? I used to do at least 1 a week! :lol:

I don't remember a whole lot from that era other than Iowa was still full of Vegas and nobody here wanted any more compact cars......

And Dave's not here man........:lol:

• Haha 1

squonk

I used to like the fake Torx screw heads they put on some instrument panels. They were a real hoot when some smarty pants flat rate honcho would break out his super whoopy Snap-On power screwdriver and either ruin the panel or "Snap-Off" his T-15 bit! :lol: :lol::lol:

• Haha 1

squonk
43 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@DougC I blame the GM engineers every time I open hood and look at the electric carb . What a piece of C _ _ p.

I used to tune those carbs. Not hard with the right tools. Setting the height of the mixture needle stops and the idle air bleed valve with a dwell meter. Fun stuff. That stupid choke plate angle gauge was a real PITA though! :ranting:

• Like 2