Ray Ohio

314-8 Starter Removal

Ray Ohio

I have a sticking bendix on my 14 hp Kohler. I can free it up by tapping on the starter, but I want to fix right. After looking at the starter, I can see the dip stick tube blocking two bolts. How is the dip stick tube removed? Does it push in or does it screw. 

When I do get the starter off, what kind of lubricant should I use to keep everything moving freely? 

Thanks Ray

Edited by Ray Ohio
  • Like 1

wildman

You keep tapping on that starter you won't have to worry about the bendix.Take the shroud off and spray some lubricant on the bendix

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

Lubricants can attract dirt and dust to 

stick to the bendix. I prefer using Graphite.

Plus a good cleaning will help. Any pics

of what you have will help 

• Like 3

peter lena

you could also drill a a small hole over the bendix area and spray tube  lubricate it, i have done that on my horses and it has been effective . you can pick up a small plastic plug at your local h/w store , pull out drawer section. or just tape over the hole . pete

pfrederi

Do not try to separate the tube and the elbow.  manual says remove the three screws holding eh elbow to the block then remove it as a unit.  Be careful when you remove the starter bolts the thing can fall apart.  Best to read disassembly part of manual page 10b 4

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Lane Ranger

I think I did this once by removing the front motor tins on the magnum 12 horse  and I do not recall if I used graphite or lube for the bendix but I left starter bolted on  and then replaced the tins and rectifier  wiring.

lace

gwest_ca

I think you can lube the starter shaft without removing anything.

Standing on the right side of the tractor you can see the back end of the Bendix drive.

Use a thin long screwdriver to push the back of the drive into the flywheel ring gear a few times to move any dirt hanging around.

Hold it in and spray the back of the shaft. I use graphite in an aerosol spray. The solvent evaporates real fast leaving the graphite.

Move the drive in and out a few times and respray.

Good to go.

Garry

• Like 3

JoeB

garry  do you have a picture to show where to look

thanks

joe

• Like 1

oliver2-44

You might consider starting out with a spray cleaner such as brake clean or others (test in a hidden area that it doesn’t hurt your paint). Then use a dry spray lube such as graphite or garage door track spray dry lube. Do not use an oil/grease lube or you will be back with it sticking once it gets dusty. 
Try it as Garry has described above. If that only fixes it for a short time you may also have a worn mid front starter bushing. 
On my 312-8 I can get a ratchet with a short extension in there to remove the starter where it bolts to block. It’s tight, but do able. If you need to do a full disassembly there is a thread on here about rebuilding starters. 

Edited by oliver2-44