ClassicTractorProfessor

But It Just Started Making Noise...

ClassicTractorProfessor

Had one of our regular customers bring his grandsons pickup in the shop yesterday afternoon with the complaint of no brakes...said the kid told him it just started making a weird noise the day before and then no brakes the next day...pulled it all apart this morning to find this

20200212_090443.jpg

20200212_090449.jpg

20200212_090456.jpg

20200212_090503.jpg

20200212_090711.jpg

20200212_090717.jpg

20200212_091114.jpg

20200212_091132.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2

ebinmaine

Just put it back together Bryce.

That's one of those newfangled 2-piece rotors. It decreases the weight by not putting anything in between the two pieces.

Sort of.....

• Haha 4

ClassicTractorProfessor

Funny you should say that Eric...I did have a welder bring his truck in once with a rotor that wasnt quite this bad, and he wanted to argue with me for over an hour about how we could just put a new set of pads on it and be good to go

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Pullstart

That’s what we call a wall hanger!  Right next to the shop labor rates sign!

I’m glad it gave him a day’s notice too by the way.  Anything less would be unacceptable.

Edited by pullstart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, pullstart said:

shop labor rates sign!

Always did like that one...

Ed Kennell

That is the  optional inner pad wear saving design.       The inner rotor doesn't rotate under normal braking.       During panic stops, the two rotor halves engage for emergency stopping.

Standard equipment on all new 2020 trucks.

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

SylvanLakeWH

:scared-eek:

• Like 1

JoeM
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

optional inner pad wear saving design

I believe the proper name for this design is "Never Locks"

• Like 1

Stepney

Ahh .. them special order Anti-Stop braking devices.

I hear tell they work better and better with age.. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Stepney said:

Ahh .. them special order Anti-Stop braking devices.

I hear tell they work better and better with age.. 

You got that on your ol Ford?

Stepney
Just now, ebinmaine said:

You got that on your ol Ford?

The 4 wheel drums on the Model A are better then the joke old Henry passed off as F150 brakes in 1985..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart
55 minutes ago, Stepney said:

The 4 wheel drums on the Model A are better then the joke old Henry passed off as F150 brakes in 1985..

I love drum brake trucks!  My C-10 is all wheel drums and it stops just dandy :handgestures-thumbupright:

Stepney
53 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I love drum brake trucks!  My C-10 is all wheel drums and it stops just dandy :handgestures-thumbupright:

I occasionally drive a 1935 Ford 1.5ton fire engine. It does have an auxiliary vacuum cylinder for the all-metal linkage brakes, however they are still 1935 brakes. 

That thing stops so easily and so true..

I run a Model A pickup often. Same basic deal.

The brakes on my '85 F150 get the job done, but no matter who worked on it and what was done, they have always been very vague, unresponsive, and tend to pull. Pulling anything more than a light snowmobile trailer and  a tractor or 2 sleds is more than enough excitement for me.. the motor will pull along no problem. But stopping .. leaves a lot to be desired. 

• Thanks 1

squonk

I've seen them like that and they want it covered under warranty :rolleyes:

ZXT

That's pretty bad!

Last January, I bought my Grandfathers 95 Dodge 2500 V10 truck from the guy that had bought it a number of years back. It had been sitting for about a year. Had a bad PS pump, and he said that it "might" need front brakes. 

I got it running, and took it on its maiden voyage. Put some Premium gas in it to help it pass emissions (For the last time, at 25+ y/o cars don't get tested). I noticed that it pulled to one side pretty bad when braking. I drove it around 30 miles, took it to have it inspected. It passed, so I took it home to investigate. I peeked under it to find that the rotor was touching the wheel.. which should never happen! Pulled the wheel to find this.

Think it was due for a brake job? :lol:

IMG_4802.JPG

• Haha 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, ZXT said:

Think it was due for a brake job?

20 hours ago, ProfessorBurden753 said:

the complaint of no brakes...said the kid told him it just started making a weird noise

You give a kid a truck and they will drive it until it won't move and then say it was a lemon!           :soapbox:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, ZXT said:

might" need front brakes

That's about right....

ClassicTractorProfessor
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

You give a kid a truck and they will drive it until it won't move and then say it was a lemon!           

That is so true...however this kid comes by it natural...his grandpa is just as bad. He's the only guy I know who will come out here and dig through our old junk 24.5 truck tires to find tires for his truck and trailer. We've put tires on for him that I wouldn't be able to run for 50 miles, and he will get a couple trips to South Dakota and back hauling hay...and DOT never seems to bother him...some guys just have all the luck I guess

• Like 1

bc.gold

The grandson - owner of that truck should be required to participate in a drivers course.

Each brake pad has a tattle tale that squeals when the pad has reached it's wearable limit, a disk that badly worn is criminal.

Its probably just a rumor.

Is it true that in Germany part of getting your license is changing a car tyre to show you know how to do it and also showing you know what all the writing on a tyre means? I heard this and would like some German people to answer to confirm it.

ZXT
15 hours ago, 953 nut said:

You give a kid a truck and they will drive it until it won't move and then say it was a lemon!           :soapbox:

Not this kid! :D 

Maybe in reverse order; I buy the "lemon" that won't move from the stupid kid, and replace everything they screwed up!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1