dells68

Should I? Another redneck custom

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, dells68 said:

Might wrap it with heat tape for a hot rod look

That'd be cooooool

• Like 1

Pullstart

I bet it’s gonna sound as quiet as the Yugo that EB thinks I wrangle Horses with!

• Haha 4

dells68

I can’t wait to start it up outside and let all of those people who complained about the sound of my woodworking enjoy its mellow sound:ROTF:.  Who knows, they might not even notice ...... naaaa,  no chance! 

• Haha 3
  • Heart 2

dells68

Spent the better part of the day hauling gravel and leveling part of Dad’s driveway as the next step after putting in rip rap last time.  When I got home, I did find a little time to play!  I found out that the tie rods were 3/4” too short when the axle was flipped.  So, i cut the tie rods and sleeved them with 1/2” black pipe to extend them enough to give just about 1/4” of toe in.  Just when I thought I was done with the tie rods, a ball joint pops out of the rod.  I got a washer just small enough to slip over the skinny part of the balljoint, slotted it to fit, and welded it to the axle to secure the balljoint.  Then, I used collars on the bottoms of each spindle to hold them in place - after removing approx 1/2” off of the axle to allow room for the collars.  Instead of relying on the collars, I drilled through the collars into the spindles and tapped the holes.  I then inserted a 1/4” bolt into the hole while also welding a nut in each collar as an extra layer of security.  Not being a fan of snap rings, I decided to drill a hole through each spindle for a cotter pin.  I also had to make 3/4” spacers from 3/4” black pipe to compensate for the shorter hub.  As for wheels, I pulled these two cheapo 15” tires mounted on 6” rims.  Lastly, I made pvc body mounts to go between the tub and axle housings for extra rigidity.  There is a large u bolt that wraps each axle and goes through the angle iron in the tub to tighten up on the pvc.  Whew - all in about 2 hours!!!

DC871B14-FE48-4449-A7D6-163B4490D4DD.jpeg

1D6EF63A-F687-4A09-B900-EFE4861E6F30.jpeg

ECB7CDC7-4378-4F01-BA63-EDB0B3C65164.jpeg

0D12DD83-D34A-4F29-94B4-0A54D8A574F9.jpeg

613347C3-B483-431E-BDD8-8B1BC069411B.jpeg

F3A4757E-F212-4463-887B-ED223DB73035.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart

That’s a lot of Redneck for just 2 hours!  You make that all look too easy... like it’s a natural gift?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

good looking mindset, on your welding issue, try to spend more time in heavier /solid welding and tacking , developing a touch for your new welder is the issue, those light fender/tub tacks are a delicate touch. think i would incorporate a bolt flange into that steering column , for a 2 or 4 bolt flange bearing base, to make it very solid and smooth , keep going , pete

• Thanks 1

dells68

Thanks guys.  One thing I’ve found out with the new welder on thin metal is that I was trying to use too low of a heat setting with a slow wire feed.  I set the heat up one notch and barely moved the wire speed and I had much less blow through.  On thicker stuff, you can really turn the heat up along with appropriate wire speed and get great penetration - my welding skills are a little rusty so my beads look a little sloppy.  It’s one of those things that if you don’t use it, you loose it - especially coupled with a new welder.  My old welder was a flux core or gas machine.  This one is flux only and getting used to the heat and speed setting on thinner metal has been a challenge.  It will blow through almost immediately if you’re not careful.  My old welder would let me turn the heat down and get a pretty tack even on thin metal, but the transformer really got weak - it was about 12 years old with a lot of hours on it!  This inverter welder packs a wicked punch even on the lowest settings - not as easy to dial back as the old one, but I’m slowly getting used to it.

• Like 3

peter lena

dell, noticed your steering linkage experiment , i made these up years ago , simple and bombproof, fine threaded rod and heim joints , http://www.wheelhorse.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7483 , have them on steering linkage, pto lever , snow plow lever, clutch rod . this make the typical sloppy linkage point , go away , and makes it much smoother .  worth a try , pete

dells68

Very nice Pete!  I might try this on some of my other horses in need of a little love - particularly my GT14.  On this one, I’m trying to use what I have on hand - sort of the theme of the tractor, er rod, errrr mess:ROTF:.  I’m trying to use every bit of the old wheelbarrow that I can. One thing I haven’t figured out how to incorporate yet is the brace between the rear “legs” of the wheelbarrow.  I had considered using it for a backrest, but I’m digging on the idea of using a Mexican blanket type theme for the seat pad and the backrest.  Any suggestions on how to incorporate it anybody?

image.jpg

• Heart 1

Pullstart

Smuck it a few times on the soft ground with a sledge and you got yourself a rat helmet?

Edited by pullstart
  • Haha 2

Tractorhead

If you have the ability of a small concrete mixer, put few shovels of sand in and let it rotate few minutes in it.

• Like 3

dells68

Messed around tonight.  Got the choke and throttle cables on, fuel line/marine primer bulb/ filter all out on.  Think I’m ready to see if this thing will run again about tomorrow afternoon.  It’s the same motor I had on Emory’s Christmas tractor a few years ago only to have the magnets turn loose on the flywheel and lock it up.  It ran good until that happened, so I’m hoping she’ll crank up pretty easily.  Wish me luck!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

Well then, GOOD LUCK, Dells  :laughing-rolling:

• Thanks 1

wallfish
On 3/3/2020 at 10:47 AM, dells68 said:

Any suggestions on how to incorporate it anybody?

There's a lot of open space behind the motor. How about a battery tray?

• Thanks 1

dells68

Thanks Fish.  I already made a battery tray you can’t see in the pics.  Wish I had thought of that first.  I did get it fired up tonight.  Surges quite a bit.  I thought it was the governor and adjusted that.  Well it still surges.  I tried adjusting the fuel with the fuel screw and it can even be removed with no effect on the idle.   I tried to turn it in and turns out it’s stripped anyway.  Guess I’ll order a new carb off of eBay instead of messing with this gummed up one.  They run about $45 new.  Here’s a video I made of it running.  You can’t tell in the video, but if I adjust the choke it evens out a lot.  I’m thinking that’s a sure sign that no fuel going through the fuel circuit on it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

dells68

Well, I decided to pull the carb and give it a cleaning.  Turns out the fuel screw wasn’t stripped, just doesn’t seem to effect the idle no matter where I put it.  Ideas?  Just order a new carb?  I sprayed carb cleaner around the throttle shaft with no change, so it must not be sucking air there.

Lee1977

All you need is wide open. :auto-layrubber:

• Haha 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, dells68 said:

Well, I decided to pull the carb and give it a cleaning.  Turns out the fuel screw wasn’t stripped, just doesn’t seem to effect the idle no matter where I put it.  Ideas?  Just order a new carb?  I sprayed carb cleaner around the throttle shaft with no change, so it must not be sucking air there.

Have you gave it the soakage treatment?

Like for days?

I've had a couple carbs I've had to rebuild 2 or 3 times in a row.

• Like 1

dells68

Hey EB.  No I haven’t soaked it.  It was so full of crud that looked like mud when I got it that it makes me wonder what the poor thing has been through!  I found a new complete carb along with tuneup kit for $50 on fleabay, so I figured I’d give it a shot.  The only thing about that carb is the fuel adjustment is plugged off like all other EPA compliant stuff.  I’ll probably have to remove the cap to adjust it if needed.  At least I know it runs, just not getting enough fuel to maintain a consistent idle.  If you look into the throat of the carb, you can see a spray of fuel pulsing.  Should be here next Mon and I’ll give it a shot!

• Like 3

Pullstart

Sounds like a chopper...  but I understand your concern!

• Thanks 1

dells68
19 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Sounds like a chopper...  but I understand your concern!

Might have to go with it if the new carb doesn’t resolve it.  I’ve not had real good luck with Briggs in regards to surging.  Seems like more do it than don’t!

Ed Kennell

Do you have a good fuel supply to the carb Dell?

• Like 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, dells68 said:

Might have to go with it if the new carb doesn’t resolve it.  I’ve not had real good luck with Briggs in regards to surging.  Seems like more do it than don’t!

@PeacemakerJack what are you planning with that one cylinder twin that came with the work horse?  Maybe that carb would work for Dell if the eBay one doesn’t pan out?

Pullstart
Just now, Ed Kennell said:

Do you have a good fuel supply to the carb Dell?

The carb has an integral fuel pump, I believe.  They have a handful of absolutely tiny springs inside them to operate well.

@dells68 now that I think of it, I might have another Briggs carb that came from an auction in Portage, WI last year... but it’ll need a fuel pump rebuild.  The PO used a piece of clear plastic as the diaphragm and I’m sure it won’t last forever.

Ed Kennell

Might be interesting to stick an electric pump in front of the carb?

• Thanks 1