dells68

Should I? Another redneck custom

WHX??

Hey Dells...stuff a cork in it! That empty shifter hole that is... you know dang well you is gonna drop a nut or a bolt down there. I don't wanna hear you cussing from here! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Lee1977
23 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Hey Dells...stuff a cork in it! That empty shifter hole that is... you know dang well you is gonna drop a nut or a bolt down there. I don't wanna hear you cussing from here! 

23 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Harbor Fright has telopscopeing magnets on sale for $1.99. I was afraid my magnet taped on a zip tie might come loose, so I bought one.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

dells68

Been at it again today.  Had to stop a while to take my wife to urgent care.  She’s got a bad sinus infection and ear infection.  I managed to get the tensioner pulley where I want it, but had to notch the tub for clearance and add a reinforcement bar.  I welded an additional 17” into the steering rod.  I got the motor bolted down where I hope it will stay.  And lastly, I cut a big gaping hole in the old suburban hood I have.  It could probably have been saved, but hey it died for the cause.  I payed a fuel tank up front to see how it would look there.  I’m going to stretch the hood about 8-10” and modify a belt guard next.  I think I’m nuts for spending so much time on an old wheel barrow and a bunch of rusty parts, but I’m having fun anyway!  Ignore my mess, that’s how my creative juices come out best!

BA6A5A36-2DA4-42CE-BD6F-0E69664864FD.jpeg

858DB9F5-9DE9-4627-B201-F1B55EE3B8E6.jpeg

1C66375F-D5F7-4EC9-938F-57C237226C07.jpeg

828B6F41-D506-4371-90AB-0C0A6A9AC7EF.jpeg

Edited by dells68
Added pic
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

I don’t see a mess, I see works of art!  Awesome job Dell!  

Tell Becca she should best be getting better... no more ER trips, we’ve done met our quota :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Looks pretty nice.

rebuild any things to come back in Life cannot be any mess.

It was allway’s in the eye of beholder, what is mess and what ain‘t.

Anybody‘s crab can be another man‘s treasure.

It looked interesting, hope i can see it in June on the Big Show in natura.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68
1 hour ago, Tractorhead said:

Looks pretty nice.

rebuild any things to come back in Life cannot be any mess.

It was allway’s in the eye of beholder, what is mess and what ain‘t.

Anybody‘s crab can be another man‘s treasure.

It looked interesting, hope i can see it in June on the Big Show in natura.

Thanks!  I hope to bring it along with us if everything turns out like I hope.  Might be a little bit of a wild ride though.  I’m using a 4” drive pulley with a 63 3 speed trans.  It originally had a 2 1/2” drive pulley on it!

• Thanks 2
  • Heart 2

953 nut
2 hours ago, dells68 said:

Might be a little bit of a wild ride though.  I’m using a 4” drive pulley with a 63 3 speed trans.  It originally had a 2 1/2” drive pulley on it!

You are talking engine pulley right?                :confusion-confused:       Shouldn't be too wild, just 160% of stock speed.   Now, couple that with taller tires and you may have to hang on.         :auto-layrubber:

• Haha 3

oliver2-44

At this angle, the "Tub" makes me think of Santa's Sleigh.   Red paint, with a little white trimming around the edges  and a Santa hat you set.  

• Haha 2

Pullstart
11 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

At this angle, the "Tub" makes me think of Santa's Sleigh.   Red paint, with a little white trimming around the edges  and a Santa hat you set.  

That would’ve been the feature of last year’s show... snow products!

• Haha 1

dells68

I worked on stretching the hood some tonight.  Added 12” to it.  Talk about a hood that goes on forever!  My new welder like to blow through sheet metal at its lowest setting.  Might just rust up the new stuff, sand down and coat with linseed oil and not worry about finish welding and bodywork.  Might be the “Frankenrod”.  

4E210F50-178C-4F2E-AB71-AE3F02DE9A27.jpeg

843A0591-2356-4989-8ED3-DC6F9A143CC5.jpeg

F45ED7F0-6D0E-4306-8A6C-9AF5BE09316B.jpeg

102964DB-3C92-45F5-A918-CA266B2D050F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

WHX??

Lookin at that Dells I'm thinkin you an pullstart are brothers with a different mother... you feel the love Kev!?!? One of you :occasion-clown: s have been takin lessons from the other! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 2

dells68

Well, I can think of a lot worse things that have been said about me @WHX24!  Ole @pullstart is one pretty sharp guy!  What would be scary is if you got my buddy Joe, Kev, and I together with some tools and a pile of parts for a few days.  Might be unique,  it we surely would come up with something pretty slick!

• Excellent 2

Pullstart
18 minutes ago, dells68 said:

What would be scary is if you got my buddy Joe, Kev, and I together with some tools and a pile of parts for a few days.  Might be unique,  it we surely would come up with something pretty slick!

I’m up for that challenge!  I’ll bring the parts, Lord knows you’ve got better chicken biscuits than we do!  Speaking of those... had me some Chicken McGriddles this morning!  Them things are just the right amount of sweet!

• Like 1

dells68

I messed around a little while in the garage tonight.  I made a hood stand from the wheelbarrow stand and raised the front of the hood up 1 1/2”.  I also modified an unknown beltguard to work on this machine.  I decided to rust up the stretch in the hood to make it match the rest of the tractor.  Slow progress, but I’m getting there.

B08D6BA5-EFAB-4D82-A509-D857BA2997B8.jpeg

FB506366-E760-4019-8033-08DED8745D4D.jpeg

6617303E-A851-49F2-80C5-5521AD067172.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Hey Dell, if you ever decide this was a bad idea, just stick it in a bottle with a note for “Pullstart : Middleville, MICH” and it’ll find it’s way home :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 3

dells68

Ok first of all, I’m a woodworker, not a machinist.  @Lee1977 gave me an idea doe making a removable steering wheel coupled.  Here is my attempt thus far on making a quick connect for a horse.  Now remember I said redneck custom right ( remember who’s building this).  I cut my version of a mortise and tenon joint into the steering shaft.  I’m going to make a sleeve from conduit welded to the shaft that allows me to slide this down over the lower portion and joint the two parts together with a hair clip type arrangement.  What do you think?  I also took advantage of some sort of tongue welded to the front of the frame and modified it to mount the gas tank up front using the original gas tank straps I removed from the suburban hood.  Getting there slowly!

F16C179A-08A4-45AB-AE83-81A2F6706793.jpeg

6B943EAF-AAC1-453D-B741-837B34DD248A.jpeg

598F8B7E-03F7-4E2A-92AC-20A9F1484CF0.jpeg

16E7A910-65F4-45E4-A392-A73479F0D72E.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine

Looks good from here Dell

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Great work Dell!  The longer the conduit the better, of course!

• Thanks 1

dells68
1 minute ago, pullstart said:

Great work Dell!  The longer the conduit the better, of course!

Thanks Kev!  Just let Dave know if he needs any design help around the shop that I’m available:ROTF:!

• Thanks 1

dells68

I finished up the steering column and reshaped the shifter to match.  The steering wheel is the reseller remains of a Cub cadet wheel I cut into 4 pieces to remove it from Emory’s 102.  I cut the center rubber away to make it resemble an early wheel horse wheel.  The hub had been split into 3 pieces when I removed it.  I welded the top section of shaft to it along with conduit going down over the lower section.  I then drilled a hole through the conduit and shaft in the lower section to hold it together.  I was surprised how stable it ended up being for a removable piece.  I also used the skids from the wheel barrow as gussets on the steering shaft mount.  Quitting for the night!!

ECFBD31E-FB79-46EF-82ED-74350C1EA122.jpeg

5D71A64C-3775-4150-87A0-F70C01AA3C46.jpeg

A8104843-E3B3-4512-9569-22DDCB64A583.jpeg

FA575429-E88E-4E54-812A-720A92FD2E75.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Nice job on that multi piece wheel

• Thanks 1

dells68
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Nice job on that multi piece wheel

Thanks EB.  I have a nice 753 steering wheel, but figured that I would use this parts wheel to keep with the recycling theme of the tractor, rod, frankenhorse, whatever it is!  Parts, pieces, patched back together to make something cool!

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, dells68 said:

., figured that I would use this parts wheel to keep with the recycling theme of the tractor, rod, frankenhorse, whatever it is!  Parts, pieces, patched back together to make something cool!

Again I say...

"Use what ya have"

An excellent way to build and maintain.

• Thanks 1

dells68

I’ve worked off and on all day with no noticeable changes.  I’ve been welding up places on the chassis and tub.  On the tub, I’ve got welds about every 1/4”.  Think I’ll stop there before I blow it full of holes.  I think it will hold.  I did work on the exhaust.  Nothing too loud or noticeable :ROTF:.  Emory wanted me to put on loud exhaust and I think this will fit the bill.  Might wrap it with heat tape for a hot rod look.

27835C4F-62D4-411D-A708-D6CDD06D7427.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

rjg854

That sure looks like it should have a sweet mellow tone :teasing-poke:

• Haha 3