The Tuul Crib

K321 rebuild

The Tuul Crib

The cylinder had 3 1/2 thousands of an inch wear in the belly of the bore as well as the crank which had 3 1/2 thousands wear out of round

also, Not bad for a 40 year old motor 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Achto
50 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

He only charged me 80 bucks cash no ticket

That would be a deal at twice the price!! It looks great so far.

• Thanks 1

oliver2-44

That is a great price, I've found a dirt bike shop that will bore the block for $50,$60, but no one to grind a crank.

I'll be following along as i also have a k321 to reassemble.

The Tuul Crib

I was there when he ground the crank 

not sure the name of that machine that he did this on but he had a 24 inch stone will behind a machine or lathe . That machine was built in 1967.

pacer

Theres no one near me to do small engines, - well a couple said they could probably bore one but the kicker is what tool crib was describing about the stone to do the crank. Had a couple told me they could do it but he didnt have a stone that was small/thin enough to fit that small size, just wasnt enough calls to justify getting set up for it......

• Sad 1

ZXT

$80 to bore a cylinder, grind the seats, and turn a crank? That's insanely cheap! For that, I'd have every Kohler on the place done. Excellent deal. 

• Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

Thats my plan. Hes 80 years old and has

arms like poppeye! I have two 16 s and 

a 12 to do soon while he can. 

• Like 3

Howie

Think the last crank I had done here cost me 65. Used to get it done for $45 but guy retired and they 

did not hire someone else and have since closed.

• Sad 1

8ntruck

Great price. Looks like he did a pretty good job.

Anybod else think that a 3 angle valve job would be a good idea in a Kohler?

76c12091520h

I have them done on all my flatheads, no complaints

richmondred01

Since I retired I rebuild 3-4 k and magnum series per month.

Ive used the same machine shop for decades and crank grinding is 75, boring is 80 valves 45.

so 80 for the entire job is outstanding. 

lynnmor
11 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Anybody else think that a 3 angle valve job would be a good idea in a Kohler?

In order to get the correct diameter and width of the sealing surface, the adjacent surfaces need to be ground on any engine.

The Tuul Crib

Had to re-order a new 10 under connecting rod Because the one that I had was no good. No loss because it was in a batch of parts that was given to me. So now I have to wait until I get it on Wednesday. So today I thought I would do some painting on some parts and tins.

823839A1-9589-4B66-AEC6-51E4C3792028.jpeg

pfrederi
2 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Had to re-order a new 10 under connecting rod Because the one that I had was no good. No loss because it was in a batch of parts that was given to me. So now I have to wait until I get it on Wednesday. So today I thought I would do some painting on some parts and tins.

Was it damaged or just miss-sized???

The Tuul Crib
3 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Was it damaged or just miss-sized???

The rod when  measured at the machine shop he told me that one side was wider than the other. Which means somebody had tried to turn it or did Something to it to make it out of whack. Kind of sucks because it was a brand new one. Or it could've been screwed up when it was made who knows!:confusion-confused:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8ntruck
13 hours ago, lynnmor said:

In order to get the correct diameter and width of the sealing surface, the adjacent surfaces need to be ground on any engine.

Yup.  I was  wondering if any gains from the improved low lift flow a 3 angle valve job produces would worth the effort and expense.

Stormin
On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 2:17 AM, The Tool Crib said:

I was there when he ground the crank 

not sure the name of that machine that he did this on but he had a 24 inch stone will behind a machine or lathe . That machine was built in 1967.

Cylindrical Grinder, Randy. I used one a few?? :eusa-whistle: years ago during my apprenticeship as a toolmaker. Not for cranks though.

lynnmor
10 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Yup.  I was  wondering if any gains from the improved low lift flow a 3 angle valve job produces would worth the effort and expense.

It ain't about flow, although some very slight gains might be realized, it is about getting the correct pressure on the seat.  If the contact area is too wide, there will be less pounds per square inch leading to leakage.  If the contact area is too small, there may be insufficient heat transfer from the valve to the block leading to burnt valves. 

• Like 3

lynnmor
2 hours ago, Stormin said:

Cylindrical Grinder, Randy. I used one a few?? :eusa-whistle: years ago during my apprenticeship as a toolmaker. Not for cranks though.

The engine shops use a special kind of cylindrical grinder that makes the offset for rod journals much easier to set up.   A standard cylindrical grinder doesn't have a tailstock that can accommodate the swing for the rod journals.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

So I'm getting bored sitting here waiting for the new rod to arrive for this motor. I'm thinking about PTO patina . :confusion-confused:Now say that a few times without stumbling! Man I got to get a life!!  Is it spring yet? 64 and

first sun shine in Three weeks!! 
that the temp here not my age!

21A56B8F-D5E3-4A92-B8BA-8CC814100086.jpeg

24B44C8E-2721-4D48-9757-C97E27DE2CFD.jpeg

• Like 1

Stormin

Paint it silver. Go nicely with the black engine. :handgestures-thumbup: Have a look at my Black Horse.

pfrederi
17 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

So I'm getting bored sitting here waiting for the new rod to arrive for this motor. I'm thinking about PTO patina . :confusion-confused:Now say that a few times without stumbling! Man I got to get a life!!  Is it spring yet? 64 and

first sun shine in Three weeks!! 
that the temp here not my age!

I gave up waiting for the connecting rod from I save tractors that I ordered 15 January.  got one from Ebay bakt4kids 86,000 reviews 99.8% positive.,  Ordered on Wednesday 5th delivered Saturday 8th. Free shipping.  Made in Taiwan..probably same factory.

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib
9 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I gave up waiting for the connecting rod from I save tractors that I ordered 15 January.  got one from Ebay bakt4kids 86,000 reviews 99.8% positive.,  Ordered on Wednesday 5th delivered Saturday 8th. Free shipping.  Made in Taiwan..probably same factory.

That's funny because that's exactly where they're coming from. I had to order it Friday night when I found out the one I had was no good but It's all good !! It'll be here by Wednesday gives me time for other things anyway! 

• Like 1

pfrederi

Interesting.  Most good machine shops will measure and tell you what you need to order...but will not actually bore or grind until they get the new piston/ rod to make sure it is done correctly.