McGrew

Rose Bush Removal/Wheel Horse Style

Sparky

Nice clean install :handgestures-thumbupright:.

Safe to say you won’t be popping any wheelies with that hangin off the front !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

oliver2-44
2 hours ago, McGrew said:

now...  Why would you put a 5000 lb. winch on a 700 lb. tractor?  Best reasons I can come up with is 1) the winch was free, and 2) because I can.  

Are any other reasons needed!  

McGrew

Thanks guys!  I appreciate the comments.  Oliver2-44, You said no more reasons were needed, but there is one more.  I had nothing else to mount  the winch on!  Danny

• Haha 1

8ntruck

Hmmmm. I picked up an ATV winch for cheap at the local HF last year.  Was planning on making brackets for temporary mounting on U Haul car trailer.  Last time I hauled a car, I had to load it with rope and a come along.  The winch sounded easier.

My Horse has a front Tach-a-matic.  Sounds like a good project to make an adaptor for the winch to hang on the front Tach-a-matic.

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher

Well done Danny. A big:handgestures-thumbupright:

peter lena

nice job on that danny !  neat and clean installation, you have probably already done this , but regular chain / cable lubrication ,will keep that cable smooth and flexible , while stopping any rust . pete 

Pullstart

As for pulling small bushes and whatnot, I think leverage might be our best advantage when weight is an issue.  Having some type of cantilever to pull on a long lever and it lifts the bush out of the ground might be best?

McGrew

Thanks again guys!   Pullstart, yes, I used a couple pieces of 2x4 I screwed together to make a fulcrum.  Using it,  I was pulling up on the bush at about a 45 degree angle.  It didn't budge with just the tractor...  Sparky, I think wheelies would be next to impossible with the winch hanging out front!  I have not weighed it, but would guess the winch and bracket are about 75-100 lbs.  I realized that bolting the winch to the front hitch mount would be a problem.  As heavy as it is, I knew I would not be able to hold it up with one hand while putting the bolts in.   So I welded a piece of angle iron to the rear of the mount that slips under the hitch mount.   All I have to do is lift it into place and pull it forward.  That locks the winch in place, and lines up the bolt holes.   Then I can put the bolts in without having to support the weight of the winch. Peter,  Thanks for the info on lubing the cable.  That is not something I had considered!   Danny 

• Like 1