pfrederi

Sunstrand Hydro gear O rings

pfrederi

O rings are described by a dash number as well as dimensions.  A good auto parts store or hardware source should understand dash numbers

Here are some replacement numbers for O rings WH used on Sundstrand hydros

D Series Manifolds  Small  WH# 971015   Dash # 015

Large WH# 971018   Dash # 018

Backer ring WH# 103184  Dash  #018BU

Charger Electro and Early C Series

Motion Control  Large  WH# 970026  Dash # 026 (I use the square version seems to seal better and is easier to install # 026S)

Small  WH# 972116  Dash #116

Tow Valve   WH# 971113  Dash # 113  (Uses 2)  (Under seat with a roll pin for a handle)

There is also a backer ring WH#7268  it is a PTFE (plastic) ring dash #113.  I have not replaced any on mine but the McMaster picture below should be what you need

If you have a newer C series with tow valve on the side under the fender the valve uses WH# 971012 based on WH #system I would guess it is Dash #012

The ports on the hydro cylinders  control valve and pump are either SAE ORB #5 or #6

They have an O ring   The #5 (smaller  1/2 -20 threads)) use dash #905   the #6 use dash #906 ( 9/16 18 tpi thread)

WH # for ORB5 ring is 973310   for the ORB 6  WH# 973370

Another note, O rings I get have a shelf life of 15 years.  Long time ...but some of the NOS WH parts are getting pretty old.

I have extras of most all of them...if you need some just PM me  (They work out to 5-10 cents apiece)

Input shaft seal for D series and Charger early C series WH # 7877  is CR 7475  (I guess it is SKF now..I am old school.)

One other item the woodruff key in the motion control linkage WH #937007  1/8 x 1/2 is also known as #3 woodruff key

Sealing washer used on D series hydro motor in picture

seal.JPG

PTFE Backer ring for tow valve

Backup.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 3

Sarge

Excellent info Paul, we need a lot more stuff like this to help others clarify the parts on not only the D series, but all of the machines with Sundstrand units. These systems were built 40 miles from where I lived, sure wish years ago I had enough forethought to go speak with their engineers and try to learn more from them as well as inquire about any manuals. They are still in business and producing many of the parts we need, sources like LJ Fluid Power in Michigan are a goldmine of knowledge and keep most of what is needed in stock.

McMaster-Carr has been my source for a lot of odd hardware, materials, and parts for years. If I order before 6pm, parts are here the next morning out of Chicago's warehouse, awesome.

Sarge

• Like 1

pfrederi

If anyone is into their hydro gear this picture may help ID the O rings you are looking for.  The penciled in #s are standard O ring Dash #s.  Two other numbers I have are for the charge pump (not shown) are 2 large ones #021S  and 4 small ones #011S. 

I have all these rings  (When you buy them in bulk from McMaster they are only a few cent each)  so if you need some PM me I will mail you some.

CCI01312020.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

The Tuul Crib

I did call LJ fluid power and they have 

the whole kit for around 45. Im assuming 

that included the seals needed. 

pfrederi
26 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

I did call LJ fluid power and they have 

the whole kit for around 45. Im assuming 

that included the seals needed. 

Be interesting to know what is n the i"kit"

The Tuul Crib

What are the seals that are needed for the 2046 beside the O-rings?

pfrederi
9 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

What are the seals that are needed for the 2046 beside the O-rings?

CR7475

The Tuul Crib
6 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

CR7475

Just one seal is always needed?

pfrederi
2 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Just one seal is always needed?

Yep!!  later Piston to piston units used 3 seals input shaft  (1) and swash plate pivot shaft (2) instead of the O rings used in 2046.

The Tuul Crib
Just now, pfrederi said:

Yep!!  later Piston to piston units used 3 seals input shaft  (1) and swash plate pivot shaft (2) instead of the O rings used in 2046.

Ok to send you a pm?

pfrederi
1 minute ago, The Tool Crib said:

Ok to send you a pm?

yes

daveoman1966

This is the list from L J Fluid Power...  

O-Rings LJ Fluid Power.JPG

Richard England

pfrederi, Thanks for the dash numbers.  As the WH part numbers become harder to find, the alternative commodity information is very valuable.  

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Excellent information here Paul.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

ebinmaine
On 1/31/2020 at 2:51 PM, pfrederi said:

CR7475

To add an update to the above number, here's a post from my 1975 C160 Automatic restoration thread.  

I got new information from a friend at the parts store for a usable replacement seal.  

National 480821.  

pfrederi
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

To add an update to the above number, here's a post from my 1975 C160 Automatic restoration thread.  

I got new information from a friend at the parts store for a usable replacement seal.  

National 480821.  

That National number is equivalent to SKF 7474, a single lip seal.  i prefer the SKF 7475 as it is a double lip seal, helps keep the dirt out.

7474.JPG

7475.JPG

• Like 1

gt14rider

Here's what I have on 

20230117_173252.jpg

• Thanks 1