troutbum70

Electro 12 followed me home

oliver2-44

Congratulations, that looks like it will clean up really nice!

Pullstart

Congrats, that looks like one fine specimen!

Cvans

Nice find. Gotta love the Hurst shift handle on the hydro control. 

• Thanks 1

daveoman1966

That would be a 1970 Electro 12..  If original, it has the 5062 gearbox which has the 10-pinion Limited Slip Differential.  The Sundstrand power is model 90-2046.  Your tractor is, essentially, same as my 72 Bronco 14 which also has hyd lift...love it. 

The fluid drain plug is on bottom of the gearbox...a socket head plug, probably filled with dirt.  These Sundstrands are HYPER-SENSITIVE to dirt and debris in the fluid so wipe everything clean in the area BEFORE changing filter and/or fluid(ATF=pink..or brownish is 10w30 oil) .  The oil filter is part # 5990 and I highly recommend using OEM filter on this...about $14 bux on-line.  OEM parts here..  https://www.psep1.biz/arinet.asp?aribrand=TO#   Just enter your model # 1-7255 and clik thru the schematics. 

CAUTION... Don't pull up on the trans engagement lever (Parking Brake) when in motion.  Come to a COMPLETE STOP first.  If you pull the lever up while in motion, the internal Parking Pawl gets ground up and metal shavings contaminate the fluid, which ruins soft brass internal parts...causes loss in hydro pressure. 

PS... If ever it comes to needing a rebuild of the 90-2046 power unit, I can provide some home-grown how-to's with a short narrative.

ExtraLarge         

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

Pollack Pete

Nice Electro12.Got one here in my pile that I've never fooled with.Yet.I will someday.Have fun with your new toy.I like the Hurst t-handle too.

troutbum70

Yes when the seller said he would throw in the hurst T handle as a bonus that was the deal brake'r to buy the tractor LOL. I am half afraid to do the tranny drain not knowing what I may find, hopefully previous owners have used it properly. Does the same fluid run the hydro pump and hydo lift? And is it necessary to drain lines and all? Does it require bleeding on refill or will all air escape up through fill tube? Which would dictate a slow refill as air escapes?

SylvanLakeWH

Nice!

Congrats!

wildman

nice hubcaps  also

daveoman1966
56 minutes ago, troutbum63 said:

Yes when the seller said he would throw in the hurst T handle as a bonus that was the deal brake'r to buy the tractor LOL. I am half afraid to do the tranny drain not knowing what I may find, hopefully previous owners have used it properly. Does the same fluid run the hydro pump and hydo lift? And is it necessary to drain lines and all? Does it require bleeding on refill or will all air escape up through fill tube? Which would dictate a slow refill as air escapes?

The fluid (ATF or Oil) is common to the hyd pump and hyd lift...all one circuit.  For the little bit of fluid in the lines, don't know it necessary to drain them. When refilling, hang a little wire hook or loop on the outside of the filler tube, wipe the funnel CLEAN...then insert the funnel to refill....letting air escape as it fills. Should not have to 'bleed' the system, but check for fill level after a few minutes and cycles of the hyd ram cylinder.  NEVER overfill these...the oil will foam and internal damage MAY ensue.     

troutbum70

Seems maybe 5 quarts total capacity if system was bone dry?

troutbum70

Thanks every one and Daveoman1966 tnx for help offer praying it won't need a rebuild yet, but will see what old fluid looks like when I get it drained. I will be praying for no metals and other junk. 

Searcher60
On 1/27/2020 at 12:59 AM, daveoman1966 said:

That would be a 1970 Electro 12..  If original, it has the 5062 gearbox which has the 10-pinion Limited Slip Differential.  The Sundstrand power is model 90-2046.  Your tractor is, essentially, same as my 72 Bronco 14 which also has hyd lift...love it. 

The fluid drain plug is on bottom of the gearbox...a socket head plug, probably filled with dirt.  These Sundstrands are HYPER-SENSITIVE to dirt and debris in the fluid so wipe everything clean in the area BEFORE changing filter and/or fluid(ATF=pink..or brownish is 10w30 oil) .  The oil filter is part # 5990 and I highly recommend using OEM filter on this...about $14 bux on-line.  OEM parts here..  https://www.psep1.biz/arinet.asp?aribrand=TO#   Just enter your model # 1-7255 and clik thru the schematics. 

CAUTION... Don't pull up on the trans engagement lever (Parking Brake) when in motion.  Come to a COMPLETE STOP first.  If you pull the lever up while in motion, the internal Parking Pawl gets ground up and metal shavings contaminate the fluid, which ruins soft brass internal parts...causes loss in hydro pressure. 

PS... If ever it comes to needing a rebuild of the 90-2046 power unit, I can provide some home-grown how-to's with a short narrative.

ExtraLarge         

Can I ask what is wrong or different about the NAPA Gold hydro filter vs. OEM? Price is the same, but the NAPA GOLD is around the corner. Also, do you sell the 103888 type pawl? Thanks

daveoman1966
21 hours ago, troutbum63 said:

Thanks every one and Daveoman1966 tnx for help offer praying it won't need a rebuild yet, but will see what old fluid looks like when I get it drained. I will be praying for no metals and other junk. 

(1)..oil filter:  While after-market oil filters MAY spin onto the threads and be the correct dimensional fit,  I will ALWAYS defer to the OEM filter....taking away any question of any internal differences.   (2) Park Pawl.  Your Parking Pawl is (s/b) part # 5966...not 103888.  Here is a comparison pic. It is likely that your PP is ground down some, but it can be PROFESSIONALLY welded-up...to look like this new one.  (3) I don't have either style and neither is available...that I know of anyway.     

park p (11).JPG

Searcher60
56 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

(1)..oil filter:  While after-market oil filters MAY spin onto the threads and be the correct dimensional fit,  I will ALWAYS defer to the OEM filter....taking away any question of any internal differences.   (2) Park Pawl.  Your Parking Pawl is (s/b) part # 5966...not 103888.  Here is a comparison pic. It is likely that your PP is ground down some, but it can be PROFESSIONALLY welded-up...to look like this new one.  (3) I don't have either style and neither is available...that I know of anyway.     

park p (11).JPG

Thanks for the reply. I know which one I have, but if I can come across the upgraded pawl I and going to use it to manufacture another one and use the upgraded one in my Electro trans.  In this area, to have a professional welder “breathe” on that part, take $65-$100 bucks with you.

Why not put the newer, stronger, pawl and shaft? I like OEM also. But, I would hazard a guess, both filters are made in the same plant. That NAPA Gold filter appears to be very well made. Again, thanks.

daveoman1966

Knowing that the fluid is the life-blood of the Sundstrand units, I will ALWAYS buy an OEM filter.  Not knowing the internal specs of either the OEM or an after-market of any brand, i.e., micron filter size spec, circulatory resistance, internal bypass relief valves(or not), etc...  is why I prefer...DEMAND...the OEM filter.  To each his own though.      

As for the weld-up:  The 103888 pawl appears to be a casting, ground down to spec...not sure about that. I'd think it would be easier to weld-up the  'flat' face of the open-end pawl # 5966.  It is must mild steel and would easily take mig weld...so it appears (I'm not a welder...except to make boat anchors).   

• Like 1

Pullstart
10 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

As for the weld-up:  The 103888 pawl appears to be a casting, ground down to spec...not sure about that. I'd think it would be easier to weld-up the  'flat' face of the open-end pawl # 5966.  It is must mild steel and would easily take mig weld...so it appears (I'm not a welder...except to make boat anchors).   

I believe to TIG weld a worn pawl with stainless filler would greatly increase it’s strength agains wearing down.  I also wonder if a second cross piece could be added to the 5966 pawl to engage in more than one tooth?

BC66DF19-77FA-487F-9EBE-059DFE2291DC.jpeg