WHNJ701

teach your kids the dangers of frozen ponds

WHNJ701

not to get into the details but yesterday in 2 separate areas of nj, groups of kids were out on frozen ponds.  sadly 2 kids didn't make it out.  even if you did already tell your kids again the dangers.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 5

SylvanLakeWH

Good reminder for adults too...

Open water on our lake and the shanty's are going up... Ain't kids...:no:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

WHX??

Just saw that on ABC News Jason... very sad. :sad-pacing: Only hope is others can learn. My boy has been haranging me for a fish truck to take out on lakes .....not going to happen I told him.

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

troutbum70

Very sorry for the family's.

Ed Kennell

So sorry to hear of this accident.   I wish  it would have turned out differently.       

It brings back memories that I feel I should share.

In March 2016, My friend Mike 62 and his friend Jim 72 were about 1/4 mile out on a lake in northern Pa. ice fishing for perch.

Mike  is the caretaker for the 3,000 acre lease we have in Cameron Co. for hunting deer, turkey, and bear.

Mike and Jim both went thru the ice that day and several miracles saved their lives.

Mike had an ice spike in each of the cargo pockets of his pants and was able to get one out and reach up and stick it in the ice for a hand hold.

His  other hand was too numb to find  the flap on the other pocket to retrieve the second spike.

Mike was not able to pull himself up on the ice with one hand, but was able to hold onto the one spike and wrap his other arm around Jim, holding him against the edge.

The first miracle;

Mike saw a car passing the lake and was still able to yell for help.    There were two bird watchers in the car and because  the passenger had her window down to clear her long camera lens,

She heard Mike yelling and spotted them in the water and called 911.

The second miracle;

There was a hovercraft demonstration taking place at a fire company only 5 mile away.

Mike does not remember anything after yelling to the car.

Mike and Jim are on the ice fishing today.      Mike now keeps the spikes attached to his wrists and tucked in his sleeve and wears an inflatable life preserver.

Be safe....you  may need several miracles to survive.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 4
  • Heart 2

troutbum70

I remember the story going around over here in tioga county when that happened, one of GODS interventions. I have some friends that ice fish , they have spikes on medium duty rope draped around their necks right their at the ready.

• Like 2