The Tuul Crib

Sunstrand rebuild

The Tuul Crib

Im about to dive into this sunstrand hydro 

pump and replace all seals and o rings . 
This will be a first for me and l do have 

some manuals to help me thru. I am looking for a little support in this endeavor. 
The parking brake pawl will definitely need 

A little repair which I can take care of. The inside of the transmission seems to be in great shape the gears are in excellent shape as well as the axles. It will need new axle seals. Its a 90- 2046

4313CF4B-3E07-4CA6-9FEF-5A3758F628F2.jpeg

46B404F1-81F4-49AC-9EA4-12090EB4AD8D.jpeg

4F0603B6-B697-4BF0-A161-00D8E04FE928.jpeg

C448EDEE-4E3E-4EE2-B82D-F8098929D9BA.jpeg

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

Did it run OK previously?  You should check the acceleration valves.  Just got a very unpleasant surprise when i opened up my GT-14 hydro gear.

• Sad 1

The Tuul Crib

The condition of the transmission is unknown. I picked up two charger 10s 

And both were basically rollers. The one I'm currently working on in the thread the fluid inside was bright pink-ish or red. The inside of it looked to be in good condition. Of course the break pawl Will need repair. So I figured that from that break pawl issue that was probably shards of metal in the system.

953 nut

The Tuul Crib
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

As I was taking this apart I did notice the seals are a lot deeper than normal when I tried to pull them out I was expecting them to be shallow. Thanks for the info on the seals!!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

Following along, I have one to do someday!

• Thanks 1

Achto
2 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

4F0603B6-B697-4BF0-A161-00D8E04FE928.jpeg

What's your plans on the parking brake? Are you going to weld it up & then grind it back to shape?

• Excellent 1

ZXT

Following! I really need to do this to the hydro in my GT-14. Leaks like a sieve. 

• Like 1

Stepney

This will probably be the motivation I need to sort out my Charger 9 90-2046 hydro. Been meaning to do one for years but just .. haven't. Good luck!

The Tuul Crib
8 hours ago, Achto said:

What's your plans on the parking brake? Are you going to weld it up & then grind it back to shape?

That is my plan . We have a wire welder 

at work.l might cut a small piece of metal

and weld it in.

• Like 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, Achto said:

When I did my Parking Brake repair I used a piece of copper bus bar from an old electrical panel to back up the area that was missing. Steel welds will not adhere to copper. I made several passes with my mig welder and then ground it smooth. Quick easy job.

• Like 3

Achto
41 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

.l might cut a small piece of metal

and weld it in.

I believe that I saw a post where someone removed the section between the white lines and welded a new piece in to replace it. Seems to me that this would be stronger and might be a little less grinder work.:confusion-shrug:

4F0603B6-B697-4BF0-A161-00D8E04FE928_jpeg_1776f3fe311e203a26e1dba899392054.jpg.33f434f2ae65cc91c0c72c84f9873dd8.jpg

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib
11 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Did it run OK previously?  You should check the acceleration valves.  Just got a very unpleasant surprise when i opened up my GT-14 hydro gear.

When you say check the acceleration valves what am I looking for that could be a surprise? 

pfrederi

Broken springs mangled spring seat.  Failure is common enough that Wheelhorsepartsandmore has made replacement springs. I will post a picture later today of the broken up mess in my forward acceleration valve.  Haven't been able to get the reverse out yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

gt14rider

Welded up this parking brake lever, replaced metal, wire feed welded, ground smooth.  Pic of reverse valve . Did a gt14, 90-2062 overhaul in transmission and transaxles. Lots of pics and bearing #s, oring #

20190409_170147.jpg

20190416_172118.jpg

20190416_172122.jpg

20190322_114425.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib

Nice job on the brake pawl! I am trying 

to gather as much info as l can before 

l get into this ! So correct me if I'm wrong it looks like there are 5 O rings just on this alone?
This helps 

Thanx !

Edited by The Tool Crib

gt14rider

As far as the orings, pfrederi helped with some, went to a local hydraulics shop for others and still looking for orings for behind pump,

If you go to a good parts store or hydraulics shop they can find using  Dash # , here is what I used for the gt14

Dash#  113,                2ea 

116,                1ea

026,                2ea

018,                2ea

017,                2ea

118,                2ea

015,                2ea

905,                7ea

113                  backer ring.   1ea

Will post other orings when I get them, 

Back of oil pump orings 

011 sq cut    4ea

021 sq cut    2ea 

Sundstrand manual has break down of pump, you can download  from this site.

• Thanks 1

pfrederi

This is what you may find in an acceleration valve.  The mangled thing is all that is left of a spring like the big one in picture another spring and the center guide.  Also notice the damage they did to the end of the sleeve.  the cone valve is stick in there because of that damage.

IMG_0270.JPG

• Sad 1

The Tuul Crib
26 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

This is what you may find in an acceleration valve.  The mangled thing is all that is left of a spring like the big one in picture another spring and the center guide.  Also notice the damage they did to the end of the sleeve.  the cone valve is stick in there because of that damage.

IMG_0270.JPG

Yikes!

Herder

I have been working on the hydro unit for my GT-14 and the thread is called GT-14 hydro gear swop, many have helped by posting links and photos on to the thread.  Most or all the info you need is posted.  The pump, hydro gear and final drive.  Check it out.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

So today I was able to find a socket big enough to take the cap off of the Excelerator valves the first one was perfect the second one yikes! Not so perfect. I know that now I can buy these springs but what about the rest of the parts are they easily obtainable? This would be the forward valve.

886F7B39-B064-4E5F-805B-406B0958AF6E.jpeg

C8FDE0EB-647D-427A-96B0-B418F85747E0.jpeg

50D5F009-0B8A-4AA2-9628-902AAE8FB507.jpeg

953 nut
29 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

the rest of the parts are they easily obtainable? This would be the forward valve.

Used parts may be able to be found, I had to use a roofing nail as a replacement for the one with the head broken off.

:confusion-confused:    The valve at the front of the Hydro Gear is the Reverse valve and the one at the rear is the Forward valve.

On 1/23/2020 at 8:37 AM, pfrederi said:

Haven't been able to get the reverse out yet.

That is why I ended up having to replace the whole Hydro Gear and swap out the output gear eight years ago on my GT-14. None of the valves would come out as a result of the pounding they had been subjected to.

The Tuul Crib
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Used parts may be able to be found, I had to use a roofing nail as a replacement for the one with the head broken off.

:confusion-confused:    The valve at the front of the Hydro Gear is the Reverse valve and the one at the rear is the Forward valve.

That is why I ended up having to replace the whole Hydro Gear and swap out the output gear eight years ago on my GT-14. None of the valves would come out as a result of the pounding they had been subjected to.

So the question I have is are both valves the same. I have another donor transmission that I can use parts off of for now. According to this chart they should be the same

70D92324-715E-4C60-B7B8-737821359902.jpeg

Edited by The Tool Crib

953 nut
2 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

question I have is are both valves the same.

:no:      The forward valve has larger fluid passages so if it were used in Reverse you better hang on tight when you back up.          :auto-layrubber:      :scared-eek:

• Heart 1

The Tuul Crib
4 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:no:      The forward valve has larger fluid passages so if it were used in Reverse you better hang on tight when you back up.          :auto-layrubber:      :scared-eek:

Lol!!