henryhpsd

316-8 starter "click" but nothing

henryhpsd

Dear Sirs,

Hoping to make use of your knowledge again !

I was trying to take the trusty 316-8 1989 onan again for a winter spin.

And came to the conclusion it wont start.

Battery is full.....

When i turn it on "run" i can hear the "click" in the starter .....after that it should "spin around" but it doesnt do that.

Now, i do remember.....it has done that before...but then i just tried again....and it  would run no problem.

So, im thinking.....must be the starter in some way...

Are there any other point I should consider ? (perhaps its a "famous" problem).

Thank you in advance ! Kind regards... Henry

peter lena

henryhpsd , welcome !  you might have answered your own question ,when you said that your starting issue has happened before. it sounds more like a corrosive contact area in your switch starting point. i would go after the wire plug ins on the back of the ignition switch, lightly sand them off and use  '  dielectric grease "  on each tab , lightly. i would also clean and  dielectric grease any and all connections related. check out your fuse holder , is it corroded ? the fact that you can start it at times , points to a connection issue, often just needing ,sanding and greasing to insure, conductivity , i think its a easy fix, good luck with it , pete

• Like 2

pfrederi

If you hear a click form your solenoid then your ignition switch is OK.  Jump the two big solenoid terminals with heavy wire does the engine spin??  Or hook up a volt meter to the system.  Does the voltage drop a lot when you try to start it?  If it doesn't I would say your solenoid has issues or the wiring from the battery to solenoid or solenoid to starter motor check and clean the connections.

• Like 3

henryhpsd

still cleaning the connectors hi....voltage does drop a lot. 

Thank you for the fast help !...ill continu cleaning hi.

henryhpsd

Hmm... i used a volt meter and set it on the soleinoid. to see if the 12 volts from the battery was supplied to it.

Cant go much wrong with such a big wire.....but still hi.

And it "turned over" after i tried to start it.

I disconnected the voltsmeter... tried again...and nothing huh ?

Tried again....and it turned over again !

So.... the conclusion is.... there must be some "bad" connection somewhere maybe something that i just cleaned....still tyring to figure out where....Owh ps..I found they bypassed the seat switch (got  it back in working order now). ....

Ill continu searching and cleaning.... most be close hi.

Thank you all for your time so far..it really is valued !

Just hate dealing "electrical problems" ....hihi...so thank you for the company !

Kind regards, Henry

• Like 1

pfrederi

Bad wiring/ corrosion or a solenoid that is failing. You do hear the solenoid click every time you try to start it even if the engine doesn't  spin??? and it spins the engine if you jump the two big terminals I would go for a new solenoid.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

henryhpsd

I heard the "click" every single time I turn the ignition..(tried to start)..."click" ...with no engine running or making a stroke) ..

...just came back from a small ride... very foggy outside and cold outside....not good hi.

Im allready happy it did run, as its winter time and the engine hasnt run for 2 months allready, i feel a lot better..if i keep them running every now and then....Hmm....i did have the idea i needed to check that red wire again with the fuse attached to the cilinderhead....i wasnt to "certain" on that one.

Ill dig deeper in it tomorrow. almost 20.00 local here now...and my son asked me for my fatherly duties "tickle playing ? and put them to bed" u probarbly know what i mean hihi.

Thank you for the help !

953 nut

1501739303_1electrical.jpg.39ce9fd56516d531d387a1bbf4440cbb.jpg

N875ED

My Gravely ZTR's solenoid would click, then occasionally start, so I presumed it was good and the starter motor had an intermittent failure on the armature. Turns out the contactor bar in a solenoid can possibly not conduct electricity even though the coil was pulling it into the two contacts. Installed a new solenoid and all is well.

• Like 1

Rob R

Years ago the solenoids had a Solid Heavy Duty Solid Brass Bar with Heavy Duty Springs now a days everything is cheaply made and brass coated so the bar get pitted especially if let the battery get long toothed so that it draws tons and amps and heats everything-up. Sounds like your problem to me...… 

• Like 1

henryhpsd

Im on duty this week, had quite some "beeper" calls.....havnt done any futher investigation yet.

But i will .....if got a couple days "off" next week.... thank you all for the input so far !

Kind regards, Henry

henryhpsd

Small update....while trying to "improve" the present electrical system, i took the engine off the frame as i thougth...good time to check valves and clean the heads etc.

So...ill just do a "build up" from that point ....and clean all...

If things still dont turn out to be "oke"...it is at least nicer to work on hi.

Thank you all for the input ! Enjoy the Sunday !!!