wheelwhores

Plowing weight. Is that legit?

wheelwhores

8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@953 nut

@pfrederi

@pullstart

Maybe these guys could help with the tire filling question.

I had mine done by a shop.

Correct. The bolts on these tractors just come out like a regular bolt sort of like you would see on an old Volkswagen or other foreign car.

Installing studs, bolts, right through the back of the hub flange makes it so they can be treated like a regular car wheel. That is exponentially easier to handle when you have a fluid-filled tire or one with a weight that is already bolted to the back of the rim.

You can just use a floor jack to raise and lower the tractor to the correct height and slide the tire on instead of having to lift it.

really good to know ahead of time, so when you say stud kit is that something you are buying of the shelf or making, trying to picture it in my head.

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, wheelwhores said:

really good to know ahead of time, so when you say stud kit is that something you are buying of the shelf or making, trying to picture it in my head.

You can buy them in kit boxes from @rmaynard Bob.

I just take the bolts and nuts out of my stock piles.

Pullstart

I fill my tires (tubed) using a portable air tank, funnel and air compressor.  Step one... fill the air tank.  You’ll need to remove the gauge/air fitting from the tank to funnel it in.  Step two... pressurize the air tank with 20-30 psi air.  Step three.... flip the tank upside down and start filling the tire.  

It is not a clean process.  It might have been the beer we consumed before starting though, it’s been a while.  

I laid the wheels and tires on a 6x6 or concrete block to get the Schroeder valve as high in the air as possible.  

Occasionally I burped air out of the tire.  

I went until the fluid was at the top of the valve and couldn’t take any more.  

I used no air air pressure in the tire once filled.  The liquid does a great job keeping the tire on the bead!  

• Like 1

wheelwhores
14 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I fill my tires (tubed) using a portable air tank, funnel and air compressor.  Step one... fill the air tank.  You’ll need to remove the gauge/air fitting from the tank to funnel it in.  Step two... pressurize the air tank with 20-30 psi air.  Step three.... flip the tank upside down and start filling the tire.  

It is not a clean process.  It might have been the beer we consumed before starting though, it’s been a while.  

I laid the wheels and tires on a 6x6 or concrete block to get the Schroeder valve as high in the air as possible.  

Occasionally I burped air out of the tire.  

I went until the fluid was at the top of the valve and couldn’t take any more.  

I used no air air pressure in the tire once filled.  The liquid does a great job keeping the tire on the bead!  

this is a great method!

wheelwhores

has anyone simply tried using a tube inside another tube and gravity to fill tires, with the smaller inner tube acting to vent air from the tire and the large dia outer tube moving the liquid?

Also, what do people like for the fluid/air valves, i'm going to buy a set of 4 tonight and start in on this project right away!   I'm going to bite the bullet and buy rimguard unless anyone else has a better Beat Juice Source :)

Pullstart

I had a source of used auto antifreeze.  I used just standard tire tubes and standard fill chucks :handgestures-thumbupright:

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, wheelwhores said:

rimguard

That's what I have and I recommend it to anyone.

Double check the pricing.

Rimguard is only sold through their dealer network.

The dealer closest to me barely charges for installation.

We love to be as DIY as possible but sometimes its a better value to let them do the work.

• Like 1

pfrederi
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

That's what I have and I recommend it to anyone.

Double check the pricing.

Rimguard is only sold through their dealer network.

The dealer closest to me barely charges for installation.

We love to be as DIY as possible but sometimes its a better value to let them do the work.

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, wheelwhores said:

also, ive seen two methods of fluid filling tires, one uses a pump like a hudson sprayer with an air compresser putting pressure on the tank, or another guy just did it with gravity but dropping the tire down several times using the wieght of the tractor to push air out of the tire creating a vacuum...does anyone have a method they prefer?

I have a small pond pump that I use to pump Recreational Vehicle Antifreeze into the tire. It is connected to a fill device from  Tractor Supply.

Slime Air/Water Adapter Kit with Bleeder Valve

• Excellent 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
On 1/22/2020 at 6:52 PM, 953 nut said:

I have a small pond pump that I use to pump Recreational Vehicle Antifreeze into the tire. It is connected to a fill device from  Tractor Supply.

Slime Air/Water Adapter Kit with Bleeder Valve

I use this same adapter from Tractor Supply, but I use an old 12 volt water pump i had laying around from an old RV that we scrapped years ago...works great. The tires on my C125 are filled with winter blend windshield washer fluid, the difference is like night and day

• Excellent 3

moe1965

Looks like directional trend on the right rear is on the proper direction. The left rear needs to be flipped on the rim . 

Tonyp

Weight is Weight !  I have 5 x 10 pound Barbell weights on mine , at the hitch. .    Just remember that the more  weight and the more pushing we do will cause extra stress on the Drive Belt,  so get one and keep it handy. You may need it in 5  years !   I have a C81 with a Johnny Bucket on the front and 50 pounds on the hitch, full time. I expect the drive belt to wear  now and then, no big deal.  Normal Maintenance. 

Edited by Tonyp

wheelwhores
On 1/25/2020 at 2:07 PM, moe1965 said:

Looks like directional trend on the right rear is on the proper direction. The left rear needs to be flipped on the rim . 

nope, they are both wrong, i think when they put them on the guy that installed them flip-flopped the right and left rim.  Waiting for for some time where i can go get my 25 gallons of rim guard, and fab some brackets to install hub weights front and back.

• Like 1

wheelwhores

in the process now of hunting down free weight plates .

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, wheelwhores said:

nope, they are both wrong, i think when they put them on the guy that installed them flip-flopped the right and left rim.  Waiting for for some time where i can go get my 25 gallons of rim guard, and fab some brackets to install hub weights front and back.

Did you check with the seller of the rim guard to see how much the difference is for installation versus a straight purchase?

That difference can vary quite a LOT around here. I'm just curious what you found.

wheelwhores
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Did you check with the seller of the rim guard to see how much the difference is for installation versus a straight purchase?

That difference can vary quite a LOT around here. I'm just curious what you found.

no not yet,  both places ag tire places i went were on winter hours for jan-feb.  i want to get some single or tri-bib tires on the front as well so hoping they're cut me a deal.  That said i love to dyi and already have a setup to do the install myself if its too pricey or more likely that i will have to wait a while to have it done or come back to pick them up as the closest shop is almost an hour away.

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, wheelwhores said:

no not yet,  both places ag tire places i went were on winter hours for jan-feb.  i want to get some single or tri-bib tires on the front as well so hoping they're cut me a deal.  That said i love to dyi and already have a setup to do the install myself if its too pricey or more likely that i will have to wait a while to have it done or come back to pick them up as the closest shop is almost an hour away.

Yeah. Definitely understand the DIY. That's how we are too.

The shop I have that installs that is about 45 or 50 minutes from my house so I also understand not wanting to make two trips for that length.

Lucky for me these guys are very reasonable on the installation cost. It really is almost negligible.

The guy told me that usually charge approximately what the price of the rim size is give or take a few bucks.

So a garden tractor would be $12 to $15 per tire for installation....

Another issue I have is the logistics of hauling the product back and forth. I don't really have any equipment so I would have to go buy ( buckets ?).. The buckets would cost more than the installation in my case.

17 minutes ago, wheelwhores said:

brackets to install hub weights

What are you going to be doing here?

It's something I'm interested in seeing the end result of also.

wheelwhores
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

The shop I have that installs that is about 45 or 50 minutes from my house so I also understand not wanting to make two trips for that length.

Lucky for me these guys are very reasonable on the installation cost. It really is almost negligible.

The guy told me that usually charge approximately what the price of the rim size is give or take a few bucks.

Another issue I have is the logistics of hauling the product back and forth. I don't really have any equipment so I would have to go buy ( buckets ?).. The buckets would cost more than the installation in my case.

I know a paint guy so free clean buckets are easy to come by.  that said if that was their price, i'd bite the bullet and have them do it for sure....time is money to some degree!

wheelwhores
22 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

ebinmaine, i'll post the brackets once i get some time to work on it.  i'd like to pull the wheels, get them filled and do the bracket fab and install in the same day if possible.  Supposed to be a balmy 43 on sunday so maybe that's the day!?

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, wheelwhores said:

ebinmaine, i'll post the brackets once i get some time to work on it.  i'd like to pull the wheels, get them filled and do the bracket fab and install in the same day if possible.  Supposed to be a balmy 43 on sunday so maybe that's the day!?

Excellent. 

wheelwhores

In the factory weights, do the front side and backside (closer to the hydro trans) weight plates simply bolt together like a sandwhich around the rim?

ebinmaine
45 minutes ago, wheelwhores said:

In the factory weights, do the front side and backside (closer to the hydro trans) weight plates simply bolt together like a sandwhich around the rim?

I've never seen the inside weights installed so somebody else will have to answer that one.....

I'm curious as well because I have a set here I would like to install.

Pullstart

Did you happen to get a set of studs and lug nuts for the aid of mounting filled tires?  If not, even picking up a few 7/16-20 x 1.5” bolts and threading them through the inside of the hub will help to locate the tire and wheel while you install the lug bolts from the outside.  After getting a couple lug bolts snug, you can remove the inside bolts and continue to mount the wheels.

• Excellent 1

wheelwhores
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

Did you happen to get a set of studs and lug nuts for the aid of mounting filled tires?  If not, even picking up a few 7/16-20 x 1.5” bolts and threading them through the inside of the hub will help to locate the tire and wheel while you install the lug bolts from the outside.  After getting a couple lug bolts snug, you can remove the inside bolts and continue to mount the wheels.

I did, actually ordered them the same day someone suggested them...i think it was ebinmaine.  Those will be part of the project

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1