The Tuul Crib

Charger 10/12 resto

pfrederi
On 1/20/2020 at 10:38 AM, The Tool Crib said:

Can that parking brake pawl be repaired 

or get one somewhere ? Ive heard this is 

a common thing?

If you have the bail style (#31)

If you have a welder just build it back up and file grind back to shape i have done a few and I not good at welding....

There is another style, finger with teeth that is not as easy for and amateur welder to fix.

The Tuul Crib

I was thinking that It could be repaired not sure if it was you or someone had a thread about it. When I get it tore down to that point I should find out what I need to do. I have lots of welding experience and we have a wire welder here at work that I can use. Are these parts hardened?

pfrederi
3 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

I was thinking that It could be repaired not sure if it was you or someone had a thread about it. When I get it tore down to that point I should find out what I need to do. I have lots of welding experience and we have a wire welder here at work that I can use. Are these parts hardened?

The bail type are not.

The Tuul Crib

So when l got home l got to tearing 

apart the old sunstrand and ill

have to say l think it is in good shape.

The paint on the outside is still good 

and the fluid was pink and smelled normal. 
It has an old Kfart oil K9 filter on it.Looks 

like the the brake pawl will need to be 

repaired . I will take that to work and fix. 
l have a question tho. If this pawl was ate

up like it is would the metal shavings from 

it have been filtered out and would they 

would have gone thru the pump?

5CEA8A89-0BDE-405B-8A80-48B3D3AEA774.jpeg

585A6162-731B-4D92-BE55-0FAE56D0B9C8.jpeg

C62AE7D2-B23C-4938-AEC6-39D9DBABAF34.jpeg

D41B9461-6C1D-418D-935D-8CDDEA5C3558.jpeg

pfrederi

Big pieces would be caught in the screen.  but smaller ones go through  The filter is on the return bypass not the suction feed for the pump.

The Tuul Crib
12 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Big pieces would be caught in the screen.  but smaller ones go through  The filter is on the return bypass not the suction feed for the pump.

Then would the pump have to be taken 

apart and cleaned? Is this a difficult 

task to do?

pfrederi

It isn't cleaning it is resurfacing the slippers and valve plate.  Takes time a clean work space a sheet of glass and some fine wet dry paper. Need to follow the manual.  I do not do it on hydro gears unless i have noticeable performance issues... The shavings went through both the pump and the motor.  There is no repair for the motor part..however in my experience the hydro gear motor seems to survive metals contamination better than the pump....  With a piston to piston hydro you can resurface both the pump and the motor.

The Tuul Crib
6 hours ago, pfrederi said:

It isn't cleaning it is resurfacing the slippers and valve plate.  Takes time a clean work space a sheet of glass and some fine wet dry paper. Need to follow the manual.  I do not do it on hydro gears unless i have noticeable performance issues... The shavings went through both the pump and the motor.  There is no repair for the motor part..however in my experience the hydro gear motor seems to survive metals contamination better than the pump....  With a piston to piston hydro you can resurface both the pump and the motor.

When you say resurface and a glass surface what is the procedure?

pfrederi

Sheet of glass provides the smooth level surface.  Put the wet dry paper on that wet it and sand away...

953 nut
On 1/21/2020 at 6:35 PM, The Tool Crib said:

brake pawl will need to be 

repaired . I will take that to work and fix.

If you have access to a piece of copper (old electrical panel bus ber works) you can clamp it under the pawl and then weld it back into shape. Weld won't stick to the copper.

That K9  filter was an automotive filter, you need a hydraulic filter like a NAPA 1410. 

• Thanks 1