JCM

Ice out, summer and fall Southern & Northern Maine Fishing

JCM

@WHX24      In your first pic with your better half holding that minnow is that boat an Alumacraft  ?

ZXT
10 minutes ago, JCM said:

@ZXT   Now its your turn young man, these dates are from memory but should be close. Pic  #1, 2004    2,   1999   3 ,  2000   4,   2002   5,     2013   6,    2013   7,   2016   8,   2016 .

I was mainly going off of picture 2 and 3. I wasn't very far off!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

If you don't mind, thought I'd put a few memories up here.  This is Winter Harbor, also, part of the harbor is a ritzy subdivision called Grindstone.  Someone from there had this 3 masted schooner.  The 2nd picture is Mr. Dixon's yacht...of Dixon pencils.  Check out the life boats.  3rd picture is of the harbor and a few lobster boats.

06.JPG

04.JPG

07.JPG

Speaking of Lobster, this is what a Lobster Festival looks like.  My wife and friend Tony in the picture.

02.JPG

More fish with my 60' Chevy in the background.

10.JPG

05.JPG

Scenery shots...Arcadia National Park.

09.JPG

08.JPG

This is the stove/ water heater/ heat for our apartment.

03.JPG

I just had to add this picture.  You can see the stringer had to be tied up in the tree to be able to hold them up.  After the Navy, some of us got together for some Channel Cat fishing on Kentucky's Reel Foot Lake.  Now, that was a fish fry!!  

01.JPG

05.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine

Lovin' all these pics folks...

• Like 2

Oldskool

Great pics guys! Looking at all those pics make me wish for open water and warmer weather myself.

• Like 2

WHX??

You sayin you like to fish Skool? Pics??? 

• Like 1

WHX??
On 1/20/2020 at 8:02 PM, JCM said:

@WHX24      In your first pic with your better half holding that minnow is that boat an Alumacraft  ?

Naw it's an 80's vintage  16ft  Sylvan Jimbo ... I call it the garbage skow :lol: Heavier than a lead filled turd and the same vintage 50 hp Mariner she can't get out of her own way not to mention 5 gallons of smoke infested gas just to get a couple hundred yards  but real comfortable to fish out of. I do have an light  older 14 ft Aluma to get into honey holes tho. I'd like to update to something a little more modern but for what little we use it these days hard to justify the $$ .... maybe on retirement?? 

Speaking of boats ... you gottem ....let's see um... fishing ones or otherwise. JCM ain't gonna care we walk with his thread and if he does we'll have EB take care of our light work! :laughing-rolling:

Really like those vintage pics Dino but you lost me on the Dixon pencils thing..... is that really Cris in the lobsta  pic?? She sure does have the same facial expressions she has today! Cindy says she resembles Dan's wife in her younger days... I told her she's on crack! :lol:

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

. JCM ain't gonna care we walk with his thread and if he does we'll have EB take care of our light work

Don't need me bro....

I got a BBT.

'membah this scene??

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

JCM

Well @WHX24       Jimbo looks like your ole lady an my ole lady are makin us look bad with those 2 monsters your wife is showin off compared to those Bass of ours that I thought were pretty respectable until your post so I thought I would post a few more, always gotta save the best for last. Patti and her brother in Alaska showin off a  Halibut that she caught. Will find a few boat pics when I have a minute and post them as well.

2014 Valdez Alaska 69lb Halibut.jpg

2014 Valdez Alaska 69lb Halibut.jpg 1.jpg

2014 The Chinook Experience Valdez Alaska.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

WHX??

Sawweet Jim... Nice pics just for the hallibut! :lol:

Hope yer happy now fellas ....I'm jonesing  now to hook up! 

Edited by WHX24
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine

@JCM

That's a "helliba" fish!!

• Haha 2

JCM

Ok, time for a few boat pics, have some more of the Lund but I think they are in Mass, will have to get them next week and try to add them when I get time. First pic is my daughter and I  fishing out of a Old Town 16' Katahdin equipped with an electric trolling motor, nice to have when the sky gets dark from the west and you need to get to shore quickly. Second pic is a Alumacraft  T-14-S , Third is a Alumacraft  V -14 and fourth is my favorite a Lund Pro Sport 1600 with a Suzuki 4 stroke. The pics of the Glasstron on the rocks happened in 1999 when I was at camp taking a nice Saturday nap on the Camp porch when I heard a loud noise, ran to the boat and went to the scene and lo and behold the occupants were gone. It took the Sheriffs Dept 25 minutes to show up to investigate. Story has it that the sun was in the operators eye,I think it could have been Happy Hour on the boat?      @WHX24      I was going to start another topic for boats but you beat me to it . Also to @stevasaurus   For the great boat pics you posted   Also to note that the V-14  was an open Aluminum boat that I bought new and turned it into a Bass fishing boat complete with Marine grade plywood and Marine grade carpeting, do it right once or don't do it at all, so the saying goes. The picture of my daughter fishing is hooked up to a Smallmouth in the 16' Alumacraft.

Canoe Talia.jpg

Boat 1.jpg

Alumacraft.jpg

Lund.jpg

3.jpg

Jim & Talia.jpg

Boat on Rocks 1.jpg

Boat on Rocks.jpg

Edited by JCM
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Choice Jim! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

ebinmaine

@JCM

Good stuff there....

Tell your kid the twisted weirdo in Maine said "salutations" ...

Got to get the lot o' you up here sometime.

Love to see these types of memories being saved/documented.

I'd share a boat pic but most of you know what an old canoe 🛶 looks like already...

:lol:

• Heart 1

stevasaurus

Boats...gees, this family has had a few.  Some are gone now, but we still have a small fleet.

1. 14'  Fisher  I inherited this from my Grandfather.  It came with a 20 hsp Merc and I upgraded to a 25 hsp Merc.

2011_0602FISHERBOAT0002.JPG

2011_0602FISHERBOAT0004.JPG

I bought this Rinkerbuilt in 1986.  I gave it to my son 4 years ago.  He still has it and goes out on the Lake in front of Chicago now.  It's 15' 6"  with a 70hsp Merc.

2011_0610RINKERBOAT0002.JPG

2011_0610RINKERBOAT0003.JPG

This is my 16' 6" Alumacraft  with a 60 hsp Merc.

2011_0706ALUMNACRAFT0002.JPG

2011_0706ALUMNACRAFT0007.JPG

This was my first boat...Coleman Scanoe  16' and I could put a 5hsp Evinrude on the back.

scan0001.jpg

scan0003.jpg

Also have a 14' fiberglass canoe.  Dad had the 24' Tracker pontoon boat.  Queen Mary.

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Rinkerbuilt

I'm not much of a water guy but if I wanted a boat that'd be it.

I like trihulls for their stability and the general looks.

And it's orange.

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart
On 1/26/2020 at 12:41 PM, stevasaurus said:

Boats...gees, this family has had a few. 

Also have a 14' fiberglass canoe.  Dad had the 24' Tracker pontoon boat.  Queen Mary.

Maybe we need to start a boats thread... unless this counts already!

Growing up on a lake, and vacationing on a Lake Michigan often, boating has been pretty commonplace for me too.

@stevasaurus must be Queen Mary was a popular little boat name no matter what side of the lake you’re on!  Our little Queen Mary had a 2.9 Merc... big enough to be the captain of the lake for me, small enough I could operate it before boater’s safety!

My Grandparents lived closer by water than by land so I would take daily or multiple trips per day rides to see them.  

7C3E3643-BBE4-461A-A508-06828847804D.jpeg

41F756CE-C6B0-4575-A4F3-4B9B781F0B65.jpeg

85CE8F9C-AF28-4559-B670-28E5AC9BDC5D.jpeg

D8B8A187-4CF0-443C-BEF1-C2AAFDB0E835.jpeg

AA28126B-B046-4954-9AD2-1E010A5B13D4.jpeg

5577107B-02D0-48B9-A4C7-BC0A1808BFC6.jpeg

34076253-961A-45BE-8828-DCBFBE5E58C7.jpeg

1EB0EBE5-24FA-47B9-8752-045DEACB6E01.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

I thought this was fitting.

DA2EE9A7-4F5C-4A35-BD4B-96B49BD658A2.jpeg

• Haha 2

JCM

One of my favorite fishing holes just south of Moosehead lake near the Appalachian Trail with my daughter. When you hear it coming you tend to put the rods down and watch and listen, not something you see, hear and feel in our normal work week. Gotta love the great state of Maine.

Train Tracks.jpg

Train on Tracks.jpg

Canoe 1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

WHX??

Real nice day on the hard water today fellas... I caught this nice 30 in pike and not even Dan @Achto got skunked! He got a fighter of a 28 and lost one. 

Sorry about the short notice Dino @stevasaurus but this was a sperm of the moment thing. Ten flags all day and five fish C&R. Plus one dink perch! 

IMG952020020195102229473.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Achto

Had a great time on the lake today with Jim. There was 12" of ice, which some thought was safe enough to drive their trucks on. Jim & I took a safer route and took an ATV with a light trailer in tow to get out on the lake.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Nice northern...  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

Pullstart
On 1/29/2020 at 2:38 PM, pullstart said:

Maybe we need to start a boats thread... unless this counts already!

Growing up on a lake, and vacationing on a Lake Michigan often, boating has been pretty commonplace for me too.

@stevasaurus must be Queen Mary was a popular little boat name no matter what side of the lake you’re on!  Our little Queen Mary had a 2.9 Merc... big enough to be the captain of the lake for me, small enough I could operate it before boater’s safety!

My Grandparents lived closer by water than by land so I would take daily or multiple trips per day rides to see them.  

7C3E3643-BBE4-461A-A508-06828847804D.jpeg

85CE8F9C-AF28-4559-B670-28E5AC9BDC5D.jpeg

*Edit* that’s me on the sun deck of the pontoon!

I could probably double check, but the first picture above was probably 20 years ago?  Note the “shore station” made out of 2x4’s to dock our Queen Mary right next to that pink paddle boat.  Side note, ever tried to sink a paddle boat?  We used to get about 6 or 8 people on it, then stand on the front of it to get the foot wells filling.  It would eventually topple and flip and send us scurrying to climb back on.

I spent countless hours cruising the lake, bringing Grandpa a meal, taking the dog for a lap or 20...  it leaked so much, you had to bail it out before leaving and keep a coffee can handy to scoop it out as you never really had the power to get on plane.  That 2.9 Merc never did let me down!

My Grandpa Frank is captain of the pontoon in the second picture.  He was my father figure growing up and was quite the character.  He’d read the paper in our driveway every day and then go home, learned how to email via AOL when he was ‘bout 90, called just to see if the phones were working today, and “always kept a blonde in the closet”.

My sister in law posted this on her Facebook at some point recently.  The house on the hill that my brother bought from ma has since burnt, been rebuilt and recently sold... now they own a nice big yard but not the best view, along with the lake’s island directly behind the “new” pontoon by the boat house.  It’s pretty cool.

FDB2B02A-06D0-4BCC-BE29-CE9399E79980.jpeg.1ac179155b652c0789ce8f468d0fc34d.jpeg

The Queen Mary somehow ended up at my cousin’s house for quite some time.  He has a pond out back that is very stocked with fish but the boat mainly sat on shore.  It’s now back at the lake, halfway between where I grew up and Grandpa’s house.  How’da’ya like my paint job?  I’m pretty sure that was a product of masking tape and exterior house paint... obviously not for marine use!

Edited by pullstart
  • Like 1