ebinmaine

Tiny home / shed / camper. Anyone live in one of these?

bc.gold

The Japanese Sleeping Capsule For Nighttime Workaholics

work.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, bcgold said:

work.jpg

We might want to go a ....  Little..... Bigger than that....

• Haha 2

The Tuul Crib

What l want to know what happens

when you brake wind ?! 
:ROTF:

• Haha 5

bc.gold

The 1600 sq ft shop combination was a hoot to build.

A fellow with a back hoe on a trailer stopped in and needed some welding done on the trailer. He prepared the hole for the foundation, nice trade.

Plywood used for the forms, a  lot of missing 4 x 8 real estate signs. Pre-Inspection to pour concrete the inspector just smiled, any how the painted surfaces made it very easy to remove once the concrete had cured.

Fill under the slab, limestone came from the horse track down the road from me, the horse pound the limestone into smaller bits and they scrape it off replacing it with new. Once I had the inside of the foundation full, filled it with water then used one of those vibrators used to settle fresh concrete in a form. This helped the quick sand find its natural level.

Two by six reclaimed from roof trusses covering q very large pole barn that was scheduled to come down, paid $400.00, brought my Thomas Skid Steer over then dug one side of each supporting pole. The hooked a long chain to the building to pull it down.

With the Thomas bucket picked the aluminum sheet off the roof, sold as scrap, aluminum roofing tends to react to hot and cold temperatures which elongates the nail holes. IMO not worth saving, sold as scrap $800.00

Rented a chainsaw then due  to the span of these trusses was able to make my way through the downed building making selective cuts.

Once all the 2x6 were at home, I set up a radial arm saw with 12 ft tables on each side to trim the rough cut saw ends off and cutting to length.

Bought a sling of ranch ply, 5.8" then put the walls together once completed lifted and placed onto the foundation using an old Hiab that I had found for $900.00 and mounted this onto an older Ford forward cab that had been purchased with a blown 391 engine.

Someone wanted an old school buss hauled away, a freebie. The buss had a good 391 these are the industrial version of the 390.

Walls up, in the meantime I've found a stack of roofing tiles that had been removed, the contractor screwed up using trusses that would not support the weight the rood began to sage the insurance company picked up the tab and i go the used tiles for a couple hundred.

I ordered engineered trusses then put them on  then proceeded with the strapping then laying the tiles, probably wore out half a dozen pairs of levies

The hot water boiler and water tank came from one of the houses being taken down so the property could be developed.

Next the tubing for the floor heat had to be laid, then the floor.

For the hydronic controls went with the European style, expansion bulb with capillary tube. No transformers or wires to mess with and these would reduce electrical needs living off grid. The one shown is just an example, there one made for every part of a new installation..

A neighbor needed an automatic transmission overhauled, he paid for the parts i did the overhaul in exchange for him to come and power trowel the floor.

Once the floor was safe to walk on I sprayed it with a poly urethane, the floor retained that wet look for a couple of years. The slow cure.

I really loved the heated floor, one large zone, with many loops. I made distribution manifold myself

Check with your local ready mix let them know you'll accept hot loads, often the truck has more than need because of an overzealous order. The driver looking for a place to get rid of the excess.

Pouring a footing does not have to be done in one shot, the driver will know how many yards he has on board just have a key ready made to place in the form. Drill a few holes in the key to insert cuts of rebar.

They do not charge on these excess's just happy to get rid of it. One load I received had fiber mesh in it.

I had also installed an I-Beam with a kito electric hoist. between the heated floor and the overhead hoist on scale 1.10 both come in on a ten.

The whole shop came in under $6000.00

Concrete-Keyed-Construction-Joint.png

tmvxblge23colres.jpg

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, The Tool Crib said:

What l want to know what happens

when you brake wind ?! 

Everyone else in the area finds out very quickly

• Haha 1

The Tuul Crib

Doesnt look very bear proof either!

ebinmaine
Just now, The Tool Crib said:

Doesnt look very bear proof either!

I'M the Bear.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Does Trina know?

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Does Trina know?

Yeah.... That one of my nicknames..

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

tunahead72

Hey Eric, have you checked out Jamaica Cottage Shops?  They're about 3-1/2 hours southwest of you in Londonderry VT, and have a really wide selection of buildings that might work for you.  You can buy a plan and build it from scratch yourselves, or they'll sell you a pre-cut kit that you can assemble on your own.  I'm looking to put a small shed at the end of my driveway to store and protect my motorcycle, and I like their styles a lot, much more interesting than the typical Amish sheds we see around here a lot.

--------

Forgot to mention...  You're inside their 200-mile radius for having them deliver a fully-assembled building, although I don't know how the logistics for that would work out.

Edited by tunahead72
  • Thanks 1

JCM

Ok   @ebinmaine    I have been holding out on you only because I don't want you to drool on your phone when you see this. These 3 buildings are on a  25 acre lot and are as follows, 1 a super barn/ workshop, heated and water of course, 2 a wood shed with addition because it wasn't big enough, and 3 a chicken coop with 3 additions because that wasn't big enough. Garage is about 23 years old the other 2 are about 15 to 20, additions are a little newer. These are owned by one of my best customers ever and where my 417-8 came from. I did not include the house for personal reasons, but you would not believe it if you saw it, inside or out. Almost forgot, the back side of the coop is larger than the front. This house is equipped with a heating system like those I have posted on here but have no pics.  Wonderful people.

P1012684.JPG

P1012685.JPG

P1012686.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 3

Cvans
2 hours ago, bcgold said:

My sister went the other direction, she had this monster built and she is the only occupant. IMO it's a disgusting display

It does make you wonder doesnt it. Maybe "I could so I did". 

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Cvans said:

It does make you wonder doesnt it. Maybe "I could so I did". 

I'd do the same thing but my building would be a barn ... Small one... Like 150 x 300 or so.....:lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine

@JCM

Just wow... 

• Excellent 1

JCM

I know I could live in any one of those, just need a woodstove and a  privy.       :grin:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

bc.gold
40 minutes ago, JCM said:

Ok   @ebinmaine    I have been holding out on you only because I don't want you to drool on your phone when you see this. These 3 buildings are on a  25 acre lot and are as follows, 1 a super barn/ workshop, heated and water of course, 2 a wood shed with addition because it wasn't big enough, and 3 a chicken coop with 3 additions because that wasn't big enough. Garage is about 23 years old the other 2 are about 15 to 20, additions are a little newer. These are owned by one of my best customers ever and where my 417-8 came from. I did not include the house for personal reasons, but you would not believe it if you saw it, inside or out. Almost forgot, the back side of the coop is larger than the front. This house is equipped with a heating system like those I have posted on here but have no pics.  Wonderful people.

P1012684.JPG

P1012685.JPG

P1012686.JPG

The roof moss is a beautiful touch. The green house excellent.

A zinc stip attached to the roof peak kills the moss, personally I would leave it as is.

DSC03098.jpg

• Like 1

JCM

@bcgold    Moss does look awesome, not something I would want on my roof of a home though.That is not a greenhouse but a place to get out of the main building so they are not all cooped up.

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Hey Eric,

i Lived a couple of years in a RV instead of rooms.

That was the only possibillity after divorce i had.

My experience out of that Time here was:

for a single person i realize, you can deal with less space for short times.

first RV was just 4Squaremeters at all i had, 

but it‘s hard to loose all the Space and it’s much easier to get more space.

In younger years you don‘t have the need of much space, that will change if you get older.
One reason therefore is the litheness reduces and so you need a minimum set of space surrounding you.

it is ok for a restricted timeline, to have very less space what you need to feel yourself comfortable, 
but after that timeline you need to increase your space to feel comfortable or you starting an internal fight with yourself in head.
The real room size everybody needs to feel comfortable depends also on different things like Bodymass and so on.
That is a real universal thing, and each person must define this for himself, to give an advice is impossible.

One thing i had to clear for myself, everybody have a minimum requirements, depending on lifestyle

Holiday‘s can not be compared with a real continouse life in small space.

That was also my reason to change from a 4SQm RV to an 10SQm RV.

While in Holiday‘s most peoples can reduce themself, in real life they need their sourrounding.

Because i was self employed in that timeline, i also do a lot of travel keep all my things with me permanently.

I also enjoy untouched space without neighbours, 

the other side of the Medal was if you need once help i. eg. In Health things, there is nobody who can help you.

Some peoples love that, but you have to find yourself out if you one of them.

To do that with a Partner is also a complete different situation.

That is my reason to be back in Rooms, but in the outback of the Country far from cities.

Here i do my restart, back in Comfort zone, but i will never forget the Time, i lived in just 10Squaremeters.

Few Words about Comfort.

Several people i talking with, had worse knowledge of living in an RV.

it ain‘t heating or cooking food or Power what you main issues,

The main troubles occurs just in Winter, when it’s hard to find a Source for collect clean Water and drain the RV.

Here most of the Campgrounds in Winter are closed, they just starting the last 4 years with continousely opened dump stations.

As redundant heater to the LPG Heater i reworked my RV with a Wood Stove, to be allway’s in Winter available to heat.

It has a Window in the door, my favorite TV program each night.

Wood is everywhere available and simply to get,  LPG ain‘t.

But a Wooden heater needs some storage for the Wood, what ain‘t was simple in a RV about Weight and space dependings.

First solution was a Trailer, where i store my wood in and i used my LPG only to heat up Water for the Shower and cooking.

I tried also a heatchanger on the Wooden Stove, but this was in my setup not really sensefuly usable.

Once the water was to hot to store it in the Boiler or if the Boiler was complete heated, the heat generated an overpressure to Warmwater system, i must controlled remove.

Additionally if the Warmwater in the Boiler was full, the Heatexchanger calcs extremly fast.

with a bigger boiler this can also be used as additional heating source i. Eg for a small Shed.

I had also a 17“TV in, but mostly  unused or just raped as a Computer Monitor.

In small surrounding, you can just use a smaller Stove, what make it uncomfortable on fireing, 

because you must keep it warm but not to hot, a thing i must also first learned.

It was very tricky, to control it for a continousely room temps, it depends 2 Winter i had a very good setup learned..

First time it was a feeling between Grill or freeze until i found the right setup. But that was neither anytime an issue.

Heating with external Powersource was just possible close to cities or on Camping grounds

and in that case for me mostly impossible.

My Powersetup at all was 2x210Ah Gel Batts and a set of all 340Wp Solar System with House Cell’s

that works reduced now in my Shed.

The biggest advance on House Cells instead of Camping Cell’s was the earlier begin of Charge and the later shutdown of charge and even good charging along the Wintermonths.

I never had any issues with Electrical Power, just after snowfall, i must clean the Snow from the Solar cells.

But even in Winter the Solarenergy brings enough Power for me, to be allway’s in positive charging status.

With an 1500W Sinewave Inverter i was able to produce myself short time enough offshore Power if needed.

Sure not the same as on a Powerline, but allway’s enough for my needs.

Another thing was the Toilet.

Here was my biggest issue the drain in Winter.

Yes you can put it in nature and digg it as long as you don‘t use chemicals,

but that‘s here illegal and if you catched, you got a lot of Troubles.

On a Camping, each drain costs here about 4$ independently how Big you container is.

Even trash you waste was a big issue here.

On Camping you Pay similar to Toilets drain.

Most community‘s have to pay for removing their Trash,  that‘s a reason they lock their bin‘s.

A official waste can also just be done on Camping grounds.

But i.m.h.o this was also a good thing for me, so i learned to reduce and prevent dramatically my Trash.

Just few experiences they maybe not comparable to you site, but maybe the did and help you a bit.

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

maybe the did and help you a bit

Absolutely does help. Thanks.

We have experienced some of those things for just a few days or a week while rough camping up north.

Those experiences have taught us, like you, exactly how much space we need or do not need.

We would have a permanent building on our own lot so the issues of waste and trash would be dealt with.

Depending on where we locate we will probably end up with something in the neighborhood of 45 to 50 square meters of legally required living space.

• Excellent 1

JCM

Here you go @ebinmaine, for people on the go, this is one of my previous rides, a 2008 Chev 2500 ext cab LTZ shortbed with Patti's camper that a friend of ours own that may be for sale that I had mentioned to you.

P1012327.JPG

• Like 1

Cvans
22 hours ago, JCM said:

Here you go

I can't help but wonder what the snow load rating is for those canvas roofs. Gives me the creeps just thinking about it. 

On 1/17/2020 at 4:46 PM, ebinmaine said:

rough camping up north.

Eric you already live up north. How much farther north do you want to go?

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, Cvans said:

snow load rating is for those canvas roofs

Trina and I consider the snow load rating of our own portable garage to be:

Zero.

We clear it after every storm.

Not sure about a pop-up camper...

19 minutes ago, Cvans said:

you already live up north. How much farther north do you want to go?

Not far in the grand scheme of things.

Further into the White Mountains of Maine.

50 to 75 miles North/Northeast.

• Like 1

JCM

Ok @ebinmaine     I have a couple more options for you, a Truck Camper or Travel Trailer. First Truck Camper pic was at Katahdin area camping in Medway Me and the second was in Portage Lake ME. and the first Travel Trailer pic was in Jefferson NH and the second was in Charlton Ma.Had a lot of fun in both of those for many years when life was much simpler and a place I would love to get back to.

5.jpg

Camper 3.jpg

Camper 2.jpg

Camper 1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Heart 2

SylvanLakeWH
On 1/17/2020 at 1:48 PM, bcgold said:

work.jpg

On 1/17/2020 at 1:51 PM, ebinmaine said:

We might want to go a ....  Little..... Bigger than that....

Bigger???!!! Man, its a 6 room house! What more could you ask for? One for you, One for the Boss, Kitchen, 2 baths and a shed for the WH's...

PERFECT...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Pullstart
12 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Bigger???!!! Man, its a 6 room house! What more could you ask for? One for you, One for the Boss, Kitchen, 2 baths and a shed for the WH's...

PERFECT...

You got it all wrong Jim.  He wants the shop much bigger than the home, so he pretty much has more than he needs with that 6 room house!

• Haha 2