Al C.

Things that go with Wheel Horses ...

Racinbob

You, had an erector set in the early 60's and one of these:

MrMachine.jpg.b8b3c2b8670b3e125c8c07787b7ebd43.jpg

Some other cool stuff too. Great memories, :)

Al C.

Yep, I had Mr. Machine too!  And then a HeathKit to start on electronics.  

ebinmaine

Absolutely!

I probably got mine in the late 70s or early 80s. It was still made of mostly metal and definitely had that noisy electric motor.

my grandparents were well known for having lots of old-fashioned toys around for us to use. They had a set of original Lincoln logs that were from the 50s or 60s.

I was well known for playing with toys for a bit and then dismantling them.

At one point I had a miniature video game of Pac-man.

It had the most annoying little piezo Tweeter sound that you could possibly imagine. My mother used to give me grief for staying up too late playing it. Imagine that!

So I opened it up and snipped one of the wires on that stupid imitation speaker thing.

Install blanket over head. Enjoy Pac-Man.

Used to take apart lots of stuff. Radio controlled vehicles. Pretty much any kind of toy. Sometimes they worked when I put them back together but not most of the time.

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

Always wanted an erector set but never did get one as a kid. I guess my dad figured we lived on a farm get out and learn how to fix things. I did have a set of Lincoln logs which I really enjoyed. Which reminds me the man that invented Lincoln logs was frank Loyd Wright's son!

• Like 1

SPINJIM

I'm going to show my age, and say that I had an Erector set  in the late 40's, after I graduated from Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs.   I had a small Erector Set because we didn't have much money, but a school friend had a bigger set, complete with motors and everything.  We often went to his house after school (second grade) and built things for hours.   Obviously, I still enjoy playing with mechanical things, just bigger ones.

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

prondzy

Sorry grew up in the late 80's this was my Erector set: LEGOGettyImages_1061366996.0.jpg.1aacf74c365adf23bbf9aded332c5618.jpg

• Haha 1

Digger 66
56 minutes ago, Al C. said:

noisy electric gear reduction motor.  

YEAH !!!:music-rockout:

Edited by Digger 66
  • Thanks 1

Al C.

So I wonder, are these toys still relevant or should we be introducing kids today directly to HTML?   

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Al C. said:

So I wonder, are these toys still relevant or should we be introducing kids today directly to HTML?   

At my house we have NO CABLE. NO INTERNET. I do own a television but it is literally my big screen for the PC when I rarely use it and we turn it on once a month or even less to watch a DVD movie.

IMHO that's how ALL children should be brought up until they NEED internet for school.

• Like 3

Digger 66

I had a chemistry set too  .

'Ya don't see those suckers around anymore either .

• Like 1

Pullstart

I grew up in the world of K’Nex.  They are plastic and snap together, but are very well engineered.  My girls still play with my set today.  I’ve built monster trucks, drag cars, and entire roller coaster with manual THEN electric lift as an add on.  The track had options and I was able to make the loop work just a few times.  We had small erector type kits but I don’t recall the brand.  Same idea... struts, nuts and machine screws, etc.

Of course my Christmas mornings and afternoons were spent setting records of how many things can be dissected and re-assembled by bed time... and I was known for using RC motors to set up my own 110v drag cars!  Short lead, quick burst across my room, wires pop out the socket.  Man I wish that was on video.... but man I wish I knew better too!

49B9D605-972D-40E0-A092-67EA4ED047B6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

bds1984

I had multiple Tinker Toy and Lego sets I had since I was 4-5 years old and as soon as I learned how to use a screwdriver I took apart EVERYTHING I could get my hands on.  When I was ten my dad's work retired their mower and was given to me.  That's how I got my first Wheel Horse, my C165.  Shortly after my dad had to buy me my own tool set to keep me out of his Craftsman set that my grandfather had given to him.  Now my little garage is filled with Craftsman tools, Wheel Horses, and Fords.

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

prondzy
25 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

IMHO that's how ALL children should be brought up until they NEED internet for school.

Sorry to say EB, we live in a small town of 1200, on snowdays the kids get online classes for homework, need the internet  by 3rd grade. Thats the world we live in. 

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, prondzy said:

Sorry to say EB, we live in a small town of 1200, on snowdays the kids get online classes for homework, need the internet  by 3rd grade. Thats the world we live in. 

I don't fault that at all. In fact I think it's great that they are getting online classes. I just find it a bit disturbing when toddlers and slightly older are left in front of the Electric Babysitter by parents that don't "have time" to deal with them.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

oilwell1415

I never had an actual erector set.  As someone else said, we lived out in the country and had a workshop full of tools and scraps and I had free reign to do what I wanted with them.  I did have Lincoln Logs and Legos.  Still love Legos today.  Every once in a while I'll see a kit I like at Walmart and grab it or my wife will get me one.  A year or two ago she got me the Saturn V rocket and I spent a few evenings putting it together.  I also had an Aeronautical Lab Kit from Radio Shack that I played with a lot.  It came with several gliders and rubber band airplanes and had a bunch of experiments you could do.

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, SPINJIM said:

I'm going to show my age, and say that I had an Erector set  in the late 40's, after I graduated from Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs.   I had a small Erector Set because we didn't have much money, but a school friend had a bigger set, complete with motors and everything.  We often went to his house after school (second grade) and built things for hours.   Obviously, I still enjoy playing with mechanical things, just bigger ones.

Jim

Now you got me started Jim.

We enjoyed the Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs,  and Erector Sets.  

I also spent many cold evenings playing the Uncle Wiggly board game that I still have today and was played by my sons and grandsons. 

We also shared toys.  One of my friends ,Rusty Moore, had a pretty elaborate Gilbert Chemistry Lab in his attic.   We learned a little about chemistry and a lot about fire fighting techniques .

We were lucky enough to have one of the only TVs in town and during the crucial World Series games, the kids and some parents gathered at our house glued to the 8" TV screen.

• Like 2

Pullstart
34 minutes ago, oilwell1415 said:

I never had an actual erector set.  As someone else said, we lived out in the country and had a workshop full of tools and scraps and I had free reign to do what I wanted with them.  I did have Lincoln Logs and Legos.  Still love Legos today.  Every once in a while I'll see a kit I like at Walmart and grab it or my wife will get me one.  A year or two ago she got me the Saturn V rocket and I spent a few evenings putting it together.  I also had an Aeronautical Lab Kit from Radio Shack that I played with a lot.  It came with several gliders and rubber band airplanes and had a bunch of experiments you could do.

Are there still a Radio Shack stores near you?  Ours have gone the way of the mammoth around here...  (yep, today’s science work is related to elephants, mammoths and mastodons!)

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

8" TV screen

Must have been the big screen model in a 3 foot wide oak cabinet

Alex175
7 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Are there still a Radio Shack stores near you?

Having worked at a Radio Shack ~10 years ago (which is now closed) I know why they went out of business.  Throwaway culture has led to people no longer repairing their items, instead you just go to a Walmart or equivalent store to replace it for cheap.  When I was at Radio Shack we were basically a glorified phone store.  The majority of our sales then consisted of batteries for home phones, and setting up plans for cell phones.  Sure we had the parts drawers in the back full of transistors and the like, but rarely if ever were they opened by customers.  One of my biggest complaints with working there was the store policy on when we had to be open (which was no less than the same hours as the earliest and latest store in the plaza which included a grocery store and a Walmart.) I worked so many night shifts from 2pm-10pm where after 5pm we would have on average 1-2 customers an hour.  But enough ranting about throwaway culture, that's why I got into Wheel Horse in the first place, because they are built to last!

1 hour ago, prondzy said:

Sorry grew up in the late 80's this was my Erector set: LEGO

Growing up in the 90's this was my choice of toy as well.  And as for my previous comment LEGO is the perfect example of how not being a part of a throwaway culture can be a benefit.  Their stock has continued to rise year after year because they are not only innovating, but their products stand the test of time, and they have amazing quality levels and customer service.

• Like 1

oilwell1415
19 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Are there still a Radio Shack stores near you?  Ours have gone the way of the mammoth around here...  (yep, today’s science work is related to elephants, mammoths and mastodons!)

No real stores for a few years now.  We do have a few of what I'll call annexes within other stores.  There's one of those in our local Hobbytown and I've seen them in a few other retailers.

tom2p
2 hours ago, Al C. said:

not nearly as popular - but still relevant 

my kids - now both college students - were raised on lincoln  logs, erector sets, LEGO, Knex, etc

slot cars also - including the vintage HO scale aurora cars and 1/32 ... 

eventually moved on to RC vehicles 

also played a lot outside on a dirt pile with Tonka trucks, excavators, etc ... two small dump trucks of top soil 

still have a lot of that stuff - including significant LEGO accumulation ... slot cars also (HO and 1/32) 

btw - if you are ever looking for this stuff for your kids or grandkids - check the classifieds ... Facebook marketplace ...thrift stores ...  flea markets ...  estate and garage sales 

majority of stuff we acquired was from flea markets and garage sales ...

at these locations can often find the better vintage stuff - including the old all metal Tonka trucks and dozers ... 80's and 90's LEGO sets (that are 1000% better than most of the stuff currently available) ... 

Edited by tom2p

McGrew

I had a hand-me-down erector set with the same noisy motor.  I guess that is what happens when you have two older brothers... But I remember many happy hours with that erector set!  I was the only 6 year old  on the block  who would jack up his  little red wagon and grease the bearings (bushings actually!)...  We had a really steep hill in front of the house and I wanted more speed!  Danny

• Thanks 1

dells68

I always wanted an erector set, but we couldn’t find anything very big, other than small sets.  Mind you this was in the pre internet days of the 70’s and my parents searched all of the local toy stores.  I did have Lincoln Logs and loved them though.  Most of my time was spent outside playing with toy tractors and construction equipment when the weather allowed!

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Growing up poor we got fruit and nuts as presents and clothes at Christmas. We played with rock and sticks that were make believe tanks , Army men , and rifles.  If we got a toy it was either taken apart or broke by bed time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Heart 2