Mudrig150

Let's hope...

Mudrig150

So, my intake valve on my K241 was leaking compression. Got them lapped.

Here's what I did:

• Valve springs out, valves out
  • Paper towel in valve guide hole
  • Cleaned intake with small wire brush
  • Put valve stem in drill with paper towel to protect valve stem from scratching, used wire brush and cleaned carbon off underside of valve
  • Oil on valve stem, valve lapping compound on valve seat
  • Valves lapped with quick alternating motion, lapped until seat dull grey
  • Valves in, keepers on
  • Applied gasket maker to gaskets, placed breather back in

Let's hope my motor holds compression now.

Pullstart

Your lapping process sounds right to me.  

I have used a thin film of copper rtv on a used head gasket in the past with good results, but the gasket was quite solid.  It’s more of a test of time and materials than a true fix.  I don’t actually recall which K181T I did it on now that I think of it.

Mudrig150

Let's hope it holds, because this was the last time I can safely torque the head bolts after the last 2 times I've had this head off.

Mudrig150

So... One thing I noticed is that my pan gasket is leaking. This is the second time I've torqued the pan and it's still leaking. Made extra sure the entire old gasket came off, and it started leaking a bit... Retorqued the pan and all that accomplished was making the leak worse. First time was a small leak, just a drip every hour or so, now it's leaked out probably 1/4 quart after only a month. Didn't apply any gasket maker, maybe that's the issue?

ZXT
7 hours ago, Mudrig150 said:

So... One thing I noticed is that my pan gasket is leaking. This is the second time I've torqued the pan and it's still leaking. Made extra sure the entire old gasket came off, and it started leaking a bit... Retorqued the pan and all that accomplished was making the leak worse. First time was a small leak, just a drip every hour or so, now it's leaked out probably 1/4 quart after only a month. Didn't apply any gasket maker, maybe that's the issue?

It really shouldn't leak that much if both surfaces were flat and the gasket was undamaged. I'd get a new gasket and put sealer on it. Clean the surfaces with brake parts cleaner to remove any and all oil residue. I've found Permatex Ultra Gray to work as good as anything.

• Like 1

Pullstart

It wouldn’t hurt to assemble it dry (no bolts either) with no gasket and use a .002 feeler gauge to check for warpage between the surfaces.

• Like 1