Pnptractr

Trans #5053 Input Shaft

Pnptractr

Got a lot of “play” on input shaft.  Just reassembled with all new bearings and seals.  But input is worn about .005” (0.700” diameter) on outboard side.   Less on the inboard side.   Wondering if this contributed to 3rd gear wear down to dis function or maybe not....not planning ant hard pulling.  Light use around house pulling a yard cart.....this horse has had at least three engines in its life and shows signs of use at all moving points.  Front end  will need overbore and sleeves...new tie rods...and lots of other fixes at all points of contact....it’s like every joint has been worn down from vibration.....I am goin to a vibration heavy rubber engine mount to ease this old girl into retirement.   But any advise on the input shaft would be appreciated.

WHX??

You do know we like our :text-coolphotos::) What tractor we workin on here?

I wouldn't worry about the input shaft too much. There is actually little pressure on that shaft other than belt tension. The real grunt takes place on the cluster gears and back. This is why the input shaft is a small 5/8ths but shafts and bearings get larger further back. Keep the water out and up on oil and you should be ok if you are not pulling stumps with her.

Doubt that would cause wear on the 3rd gear much. The damage to those comes from trying to shift on the fly... guilty as charged :lol: ....or the belt brakes not stopping the belt completely. 

oliver2-44

If the input shaft has a lot of " in-out" play that can cause some wear on 3rd gear.  You can put a shim under the apposing bearing to take up the play.  But I won't worry about .005.  

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Don't tell WHX??, but the input shaft on the #5053 is 3/4".  :ph34r:  Regardless, you should be fine with new bearings and what you have.  I doubt that the issue had anything to do with the 2nd/3rd fork gear.  Like WHX?? said, not coming to a complete stop to shift is the culprit that ruins the inside of that gear.

I am fast becoming a fan of the spacer washer to take out excess in/out slack from the input shaft.  As Jim said above...but if you did not have that slack you should still be OK.