1988SS

1996 Toro Wheel Horse Classic....????

1988SS

Honestly, I never knew anything about garden tractors but recently I bought a house with a good sized lot and my Wife suggested, (ordered me) to get a machine. I found a 96 Toro, in the local classifieds, with snowblower and 42"? deck. Hope to pick it up this week. I hope to learn and also to contribute to this forum. I have great interest in older cars, fixing things and guitar.

The seller is asking $800...supposedly well maintained, fully functional. A friend suggested I buy a new John Deere for $2K and not worry about repairs for 3 years and buy a separate snow blower instead. Are they good working machines at that age or are they neat collectables?

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Welcome to Red square.

Let me put it to you this way.

A new... Anything... Is just a lawn mower. You might not get five or eight years out of it.

Not being negative. Being honest.

Nearly any model Wheelhorse is not a temporary machine. My Honey and I work with some from 1974 and 1967 that have never had major overhauls.

A Wheelhorse isn't a purchas that lasts a few years.

It's EQUIPMENT. Meant to be around potentially forever.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:             Eric  has correctly steered you down the  :wh: path.   

The only problem you may have....they are sorta like those chips.  You can't stop with one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

This link will take you to what we have on the 1996 model 312-8. Model number and serial number will confirm these are the correct ones.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q=1996 312-8&type=downloads_file&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

The first model that started this basic design was the 1961 model 701 and they did not mess with success.

Garry

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

My 414-8 is 35 years old and strong 

as an ox! Well maintained they will last

a long time. ! 
:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

:wwp:

• Like 3

857 horse
49 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:             Eric  has correctly steered you down the  :wh: path.   

The only problem you may have....they are sorta like those chips.  You can't stop with one.

ED,,,YOU JUST HAD TO TELL...................WELL HOPEFULLY THEY FIND OUT ....PLEASANTLY ,,,,,

WHO EVER KNEW..????     :banana-skier:

• Haha 4

lynnmor

You would do well to post photos and any other concerns here.  Buying used is always a risk because there are folks out there that can break an anvil.  IMO the reason that good equipment went by the wayside is that consumers just consume and will not pay the price for something that they will destroy anyway.

JCM

:text-welcomeconfetti:  To     :rs:The Classic series was once the 312-8  and 312-H, wonderful piece of machinery. Pictured is one bought in 1989 and is one of the best things I have spent $ on. Go for it.

P1012400.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

AHS

Welcome to RedSquare! I have a 2000 312 8, and all I have to do is oil changes. The attach o matic (available on 1973 and up wheel horses) is a breeze swapping out lawn mowers, snowblowers and plows. Eric is right, wheel horses are made to last!👍🇺🇸

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Mine are early 80’s and still going strong...

• Like 1

1988SS

Thanks all for the warm welcome and encouragement and a whole whack of info I did not expect to see. I can visualize it being parked next to my refurbed stock 1986 Monte Carlo SS...two classics side by side.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 2

The Tuul Crib

There are a lot of us here that like classic autos as well! And you will have to share pictures with us ! Sort of bragging rights. 

• Like 2

adsm08
3 hours ago, 1988SS said:

Are they good working machines at that age or are they neat collectables?

My dad has a 1988 312-8 and a mid 90s 420-8. I have a 1965 855.

These are our primary working tractors for yard work, mowing, and snow removal.

I know the 312 has never had anything more severe than a carb rebuild done to it. The other two I have less complete histories on, but they don't seem to have had any major work done since new.

On top of that the guy who lives across the street from me runs a little mower repair business out of his garage. He has admitted to sitting over there and just watching me mow when he hears my tractor fire up because he likes the looks of the old girl, so they are both good working machines AND neat collectables.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

AHS
54 minutes ago, 1988SS said:

Thanks all for the warm welcome and encouragement and a whole whack of info I did not expect to see. I can visualize it being parked next to my refurbed stock 1986 Monte Carlo SS...two classics side by side.

Nice! @1988SS 350/700R4? (Things usually get off topic here!😁)

• Like 1

JCM

Great workers and nice collectibles even after 30 plus years and don't owe me a thing.

• Like 1

tom2p
6 hours ago, 1988SS said:

Honestly, I never knew anything about garden tractors but recently I bought a house with a good sized lot and my Wife suggested, (ordered me) to get a machine. I found a 96 Toro, in the local classifieds, with snowblower and 42"? deck. Hope to pick it up this week. I hope to learn and also to contribute to this forum. I have great interest in older cars, fixing things and guitar.

The seller is asking $800...supposedly well maintained, fully functional. A friend suggested I buy a new John Deere for $2K and not worry about repairs for 3 years and buy a separate snow blower instead. Are they good working machines at that age or are they neat collectables?

in guitar terms - an old Wheel Horse garden tractor is similar to a vintage made in USA Gibson or Fender guitar 

the $2K John Deere would be similar to a made in China low cost guitar that would be frustrating to set up and intonate 

would need to pay much more than 2K to get a current tractor that might be similar to an old Wheel Horse tractor 

in the 90's could spend $4K for a Wheel Horse - and that might not include a mower deck 

• Like 4

WVHillbilly520H

Welcome aboard G body fan and soon to be WH fan... The :wh: with the cab is a 1996 Anniversary model 520H I bought brand new in 1998 and of course the last pic my 78 Malibu I've owned for 19 years... Nothing you buy today from JD Cub Cadet or Simplicity ect for $2k will compare to that WH you are looking to buy, if buying new today that same tractor would be of the smallest compact 4x4 tractors like a Kubota BX or Mahindra eMax 20es... Good luck.

IMAG3961.jpg

IMAG3960.jpg

IMAG5467.jpg

EFFECTS.jpg

• Like 6

Herder
49 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

EFFECTS.jpg

:woohoo::auto-layrubber:

• Thanks 1

953 nut

:WRS:

If a Wheel Horse of any model is well maintained it will last forever! ! !    A casual inspection will reveal issues that would be concerning. If it is in good condition, runs well and drives well the asking price sounds reasonable to me.

I have a 310-8 (two less HP) from 1990 that works as well as the day it was new. I also have several others that are half a century or more old that will work a BIG BOX STORE mower into the ground. Once you have owned one you will be overcome by the irresistible urge to by another.     :ychain:

1250299087_1Horse-a-holic.jpg.4051d0ece65d3a06524e3e89e7969bf7.jpg

• Like 7

oilwell1415

You could buy a brand new $2000 tractor today and next year you'll have a $1000 tractor, the year after that you'll have a $500 tractor, and the year after that you'll have a $100 tractor and be shopping for another new one.  If you buy an $800 classic Wheel Horse today, in a year you'll still have an $800 Wheel Horse, the year after that you'll have an $800 Wheel Horse, and the year after that you'll still have an $800 Wheel Horse.  So your options are basically to spend $2000 knowing full well that you'll be doing the same thing again in a few years and have nothing to show for your money, or spend $800 and have a piece of equipment that is already fully depreciated and may actually go up in value over the same time.  Seems like a simple choice to me.  BUT, and it is a big but, you may have to work on the Wheel Horse a little, which most people who are even asking your question won't mind.

• Like 5

lynnmor

You can still get the paint, here is one source: New Red

The Tuul Crib
55 minutes ago, 1988SS said:

Pis of the WH I hope to get. Will it be difficult to match the color of the paint? I know reds fade over time.

86 Monte SS, mostly stock, 305, 200r4orig paint...hundreds of hours were put into the car to make it look like nothing was done.. It's not fast but makes all the right sounds.

toro.PNG

AAA_3896.JPG

That magnum 14 is a great engine. Mine 

runs great and simple to work on 

and you can still get parts for them. Thats a good lookin tractor. Nice monte carlo

too!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:

And that is a 48" deck not a 42".    The 14M will turn that deck as well as the snow blower.  

• Like 1

WHX??

:WRS: '88SS 

Sounds like the fellas have voiced their thoughts on the quality of a Horse and got you covered there.

You may have figured out by now we do like our :text-coolphotos: so you might need one of these.....:)

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/store/product/2-1-year-redsquare-support/ 

Helps keep the lights on and ad free around here. 

• Like 4