1988SS

1996 Toro Wheel Horse Classic....????

953 nut
6 hours ago, 1988SS said:

I love my, made in between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, analog technology!

:canada:                                                                  :USA:

6 hours ago, 1988SS said:

The future plans, as with all my projects, is to restore/refurb/clean up to close to new condition and to cherish this well loved classic

Let us know if any questions come up, we are here to help.                   :wwp:

• Like 1

AHS
22 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Without question Jim, the hydros require more HP than a gear drive.     I have seen some estimates but I don't recall the exact numbers.   1-2 HP seems to be what the hydros need.

This is clear when you engage the hydro.  Depending on the temperature of the oil, you will see a significant drop in engine RPM.  And this is with the motion control in neutral.

Yes! I have 73 14hp/hydro and a 42” RD... in forward.. I hear the motor lug down. It seems like a 12hp. Its wierd to explain!

AHS
15 hours ago, 1988SS said:

Picked her up tonight on my, new to me, 16' car hauler..pics tomorrow. Talked the seller down for minor issues.1) throttle lever loose, 2) old tires 3) parking brake not working 4)seat interlock bypassed 5) play in steering - thank you forum members for your great advice. The future plans, as with all my projects, is to restore/refurb/clean up to close to new condition and to cherish this well loved classic. In case you did not catch this - I love my, made in between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, analog technology!

Well, post all that you have of problems! Welcome to your wheelhorse!👍

tom2p
On 1/14/2020 at 5:26 PM, Ed Kennell said:

Without question Jim, the hydros require more HP than a gear drive.     I have seen some estimates but I don't recall the exact numbers.   1-2 HP seems to be what the hydros need.

This is clear when you engage the hydro.  Depending on the temperature of the oil, you will see a significant drop in engine RPM.  And this is with the motion control in neutral.

significant drop in rpm ?

on 416-H - cannot recall drop in rpm when i engage trans 

this includes my old / tired / worn 1000 hour 416-H 

if there is a drop certainly is not significant ... again not that I can recall 

???

Ed - does your 520 do this ?

rjg854

I notice a drop in rpm on my 877, but not so much with the 16 auto. 

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, tom2p said:

significant drop in RPM.

Ed - does your 520 do this ?

Sure does Tom.  I see a drop in the 312, 417, and the 520.   They all have the  Eaton 1100s.   The drop is more significant in cold temperatures but the governor brings it back to normal  idle speed quickly.   The point is, it requires power to turn the pump even in neutral and I believe it takes more power than is required to turn the input shaft on a gear drive tranny with it in neutral.

The feeling is identical engines have about one more HP available at the PTO with a gear drive.   Having said that, all my tractors have hydros and I have no desire to own a gear drive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AHS
On 1/14/2020 at 4:38 PM, Bigtrx34 said:

As many others have stated you cant go wrong with the horse. From a money standpoint those attachments for the "green ones" will be 3 times what you could get a used wheel horse for. Even more if it is a hydro unit. A used snowblower hydro for my buddies green tractor was over 1100 in well used condition. 

I love my 312-8 and 520 they work year round from grass to snow and everything between. From a maintenance stand point wheel horses are tuff as nails. They are simple to work on if needed but don't require much more than oil changes and a good grease gun. 

I am not bashing any other brand, you need to get what works best for you, your wallet, and your property. For me its the horse. Best of luck and welcome

1215191618_HDR.jpg

Bingo!! Your garage looks just like mine!! Look a wheel horse over there and over there!!👍😁

pfrederi
10 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Sure does Tom.  I see a drop in the 312, 417, and the 520.   They all have the  Eaton 1100s.   The drop is more significant in cold temperatures but the governor brings it back to normal  idle speed quickly.   The point is, it requires power to turn the pump even in neutral and I believe it takes more power than is required to turn the input shaft on a gear drive tranny with it in neutral.

The feeling is identical engines have about one more HP available at the PTO with a gear drive.   Having said that, all my tractors have hydros and I have no desire to own a gear drive.

All of my hydros (sunstrands) will slow the engine down notably when you engage the drive belt. Especially in the winter, if it is really cold have to play with the choke to keep things running there is that much load.

• Like 2

oilwell1415

Something about old tractors that gets overlooked is the size of the engines vs their power output.  Before the turn of the century a 12hp engine was typically in the 500cc range.  Once the government started dumping rules and regulations on small engines the way they put them on cars that started to change.  Engines got smaller, but maintained their power output through technology.  These days a common 12hp engine is down around 400cc  Sounds great on paper but, just like we've seen in cars and trucks over the last 30 years, power isn't what you need to do work.  You need torque and larger engines make more of that.  Even back in the day a Kohler engine of a given power rating was usually 10-20% larger than a Tecumseh or B&S of the same power rating.  That's why Kohlers are known for being better workers; they make more torque.  Just like in a car or truck, 90% of the people will never feel the difference.  But those that are using their tractor to do real work spend a lot of time "off the governor" with the throttle actually open where the added displacement can really help.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

AHS

Good write up @oilwell1415 👍😁

• Like 2