1988SS

1996 Toro Wheel Horse Classic....????

tom2p
2 hours ago, 1988SS said:

Pis of the WH I hope to get. Will it be difficult to match the color of the paint? I know reds fade over time.

86 Monte SS, mostly stock, 305, 200r4orig paint...hundreds of hours were put into the car to make it look like nothing was done.. It's not fast but makes all the right sounds.

toro.PNG

AAA_3896.JPG

good looking monte carlo ss  ... the old nascar monte ... 

tractor looks very good - 314-8 with Kohler Magnum ?

if so - this would be one of the most desirable WH tractors avail for home use / medium size yard 

( and even better with a desirable 48" deck )

very few tractors would match the performance, versatility, reliability

durable as an anvil - require little more than basic maintenance - and will provide years and years  of service 

easy to work on -  install / remove attachments including mower deck and snow plow (w/no tools) - and items including belts are also fairly easy to replace (and if quality belts are used they will provide years of service before replacement required)

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 3

clueless

314-8 Wheel Horse with a 14 hp magnum, snowblower, 48 inch deck, that other than a little road rash looks to be in good condition for $800 :handgestures-thumbupright:. You ain't gonna get nothing like that for no $2000 :snooty:.

DO IT!

• Like 2

AHS

The 14hp will turn that snowblower easy! That’ll turn a 42” to 48” deck. 14hp kohler is a Cadillac of a motor. My dad is running a 79 wheel horse 10hp kohler...and she still going! 

Goofey

Is it just me or ain't there something missing here. I do not see no info on what the tasks are that it should handle. How big a lawn? Thick high grass or? Much snow? other tasks like tilling or plowing or?

Also a 48" is a tall order for a 14 hp engine no matter what you guys say. More so when it is a manual 8 speed. My crystal ball shows me a guy on a 314-8 mowing along in 3rd gear. 4 mph or so full slow speed. Because it simply cant handle a 48" in 4th. That's just how I see it.

Not trying to offend no one.

Edited by Goofey
Have to keep my open mouth in check and be more diplomatic
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Ed Kennell
44 minutes ago, Goofey said:

Also a 48" is a tall order for a 14 hp engine no matter what you guys say.

Been there done that.   

OK Goof,  If all those 14M Kohlers of yours failed to turn your 48" decks,   You either had  worn out engines, decks, or were trying to cut 10" grass in a high gear.

I have a 48" SD on a C-120H, a 312H and a 417H.  I normally use the 12 HP mowers as they run cooler.   If I get lazy and miss a regular mowing, then I may use the 417.

BTW,  I have successfully  used SS blowers on both of the  12s.            Note these are all hydros that  have less HP available at the PTO than a gear drive.  

So, to use your statement "no matter what you say"  IMO, the 314-8  with a 48" deck and SS blower will be a great working machine.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Goofey

I would think the hydro part of it is why. You can adjust speed to match the power you have much better.

But go ahead and be mad at me for saying it as I see it. 

pfrederi
1 hour ago, Goofey said:

Is it just me or ain't there something missing here. I do not see no info on what the tasks are that it should handle. How big a lawn? Thick high grass or? Much snow? other tasks like tilling or plowing or?

Also a 48" is a tall order for a 14 hp engine no matter what you guys say. More so when it is a manual 8 speed. My crystal ball shows me a guy on a 314-8 mowing along in 3rd gear. 4 mph or so full slow speed. Because it simply cant handle a 48" in 4th. That's just how I see it.

If you have 4th gear in a WH you have a very special unit...:P

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Bigtrx34

As many others have stated you cant go wrong with the horse. From a money standpoint those attachments for the "green ones" will be 3 times what you could get a used wheel horse for. Even more if it is a hydro unit. A used snowblower hydro for my buddies green tractor was over 1100 in well used condition. 

I love my 312-8 and 520 they work year round from grass to snow and everything between. From a maintenance stand point wheel horses are tuff as nails. They are simple to work on if needed but don't require much more than oil changes and a good grease gun. 

I am not bashing any other brand, you need to get what works best for you, your wallet, and your property. For me its the horse. Best of luck and welcome

1215191618_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

This little piece of attachment list says not only will a 314 handle a 48 but a 312 will too. Knowing my Kohlers I wouldn't be afraid to hook one up to a 310! 

Annotation 2020-01-14 153713.png

• Excellent 4

SylvanLakeWH

Don’t want to get off topic, but Curious...Isn’t this a question of where you send the power? By that I mean gearing down (slower speed) gives more power to the PTO...While gearing up (faster) leaves less power to the PTO... Correct? Regardless of HP...

I have cut 3’ tall “grass” on a neglected vacant lot with my 10 hp C 105 8 speed side discharge and as long as I was going in the low range gears it cut like a hot knife through butter...initial cut wasn’t pretty but with a follow up cut at regular speed / height it looked quite good...

Don’t own a hydro, so also curious if they “take” more or less power relative to speed the same way gears do?

• Like 2

JCM

WH 312-8 with a 48'' SD mower and bagger with 5 hp briggs.

Jims Camera uploaded 2019 Nov 236.JPG

• Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
2 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Don’t own a hydro, so also curious if they “take” more or less power relative to speed the same way gears do?

Without question Jim, the hydros require more HP than a gear drive.     I have seen some estimates but I don't recall the exact numbers.   1-2 HP seems to be what the hydros need.

This is clear when you engage the hydro.  Depending on the temperature of the oil, you will see a significant drop in engine RPM.  And this is with the motion control in neutral.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

a hydro, so also curious if they “take” more or less power relative to speed the same way gears do?

15 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Without question Jim, the hydros require more HP than a gear drive.

I haven't the foggiest where I came up with these numbers.

May have been my local Small engine guy.

Gear drive Wheelhorse uses about .5 - 1

HP to move the tractor on flat ground at full speed.

Same tractor with a hydro is about 2 - 2.5 horsepower.

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

I have both a 315-8 with a 48" deck and 520H with 48" deck under normal grass cutting conditions you can't tell the difference but tall wet green grass my 20hp opposed twin hydro will out cut the single cylinder Kohler and I'm sure the same goes with snow and the single stage throwers. But then again I have a 3 cylinder diesel now for most of my grass cutting.

• Like 4

chip61

You can't go wrong with that 314-8. I killed a box store mower (I didn't buy it, my father in law did) in a few short years but the Wheel Horse just keeps coming back for more!

• Like 5

adsm08
5 hours ago, Goofey said:

I have two things to say about this:

1) Out of all the WH tractors I have ever seen I have never seen one with a 4th gear.

2) All the WH tractors I have had were manual transmission, and no matter how big the yard I could never effectively corner the mower in anything above 2nd. Some stretches on my parents yard were long enough that it was worth shifting up the 3rd for them, but my yard has so many twists and turns I spend more time shifting back and forth to make corners than I do just mowing in 2nd.

• Heart 1

Jerry.Guzzi

My 520-H doesn't like tall grass at a slow speed. Just saying. I would like to know the timing of blades.

ZXT
On 1/14/2020 at 2:06 PM, Goofey said:

Also a 48" is a tall order for a 14 hp engine no matter what you guys say.

Oh wow! Thanks for your intelligent observation - and for denouncing every opinion but your own!

Again, thank you for schooling us and telling us how it is. What's next on your list? Telling us that a 10-12HP Horse can't handle a 42" deck? It's a wonder that anyone on here has ever successfully mowed their lawn!

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 2

tom2p
2 hours ago, Jerry.Guzzi said:

My 520-H doesn't like tall grass at a slow speed. Just saying. I would like to know the timing of blades.

not sure I understand your observation - slow ground speed or slow engine speed ?

520-H should have more than enough power to cut tall grass - with 42" - 60" mower decks - 

provided engine speed is appropriate and tractor / mower deck is in proper operating condition including PTO, belts (good condition and properly tensioned) and correct sharp mower blades 

• Like 1

tom2p
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I haven't the foggiest where I came up with these numbers.

May have been my local Small engine guy.

Gear drive Wheelhorse uses about .5 - 1

HP to move the tractor on flat ground at full speed.

Same tractor with a hydro is about 2 - 2.5 horsepower.

number I was given at one time is 10% ; hydro 10% less efficient ...

but this can vary because there are many variables ; manual transmissions vary as do the hydro transmissions ... number of gears / shafts involved ... variable vs fixed displacement pump ... etc etc ... 

the engine characteristics might also come into play 

when i think of power transmission and efficiency or loss etc - sprint cars quickly come to mind ... no clutch / no transmission ... direct drive ... it's in - or out ... 

1B12194C-33C9-4304-9A9A-B7C47C992130.jpeg

Edited by tom2p

1988SS

Picked her up tonight on my, new to me, 16' car hauler..pics tomorrow. Talked the seller down for minor issues.1) throttle lever loose, 2) old tires 3) parking brake not working 4)seat interlock bypassed 5) play in steering - thank you forum members for your great advice. The future plans, as with all my projects, is to restore/refurb/clean up to close to new condition and to cherish this well loved classic. In case you did not catch this - I love my, made in between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, analog technology!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6

lynnmor
6 hours ago, Jerry.Guzzi said:

Run the engine at full speed, use blades that are not worn out and correctly sharpened and there is no such thing as "timing of blades" on a 520H.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, 1988SS said:

. In case you did not catch this - I love my, made in between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, analog technology

Right There with you!!

WVHillbilly520H
8 hours ago, Jerry.Guzzi said:

When I encountered tall (above 8") grass I lift the deck ALL the way up to the tractor frame (transport mode) Then mow then repeat on the highest setting on the gauge wheels and so on until I get the desired height... You just can't go at it even with brand new sharp blades with the deck down JMO and experiences.

• Like 3

953 nut
15 hours ago, Goofey said:

Also a 48" is a tall order for a 14 hp engine

:confusion-confused:

The first 48" deck that Wheel Horse produced was in 1963 and was on a 953 which has a 9.6 HP Kohler. I have mowed a bunch of grass with that set up and had no problems. If your 14 HP won't handle a 48" deck it may be time to sharpen the blades or give the engine a tune-up.

• Like 3