Alex175

Salt Spreader on a C-195

Alex175

I have a spare salt spreader that we don't use at our offices anymore and I am debating bringing it home and trying to hook it up to my C-195.  The spreader in question is a Salt Dogg with a 1/2 horsepower electric motor.  It fits into a 2 inch receiver and I have a receiver on my 3 point hitch on the C-195 so physically it will mount with ease, but the question I am asking myself is will the charging system put out enough power to run the spreader.  My driveway isn't crazy long, maybe 200 feet so I figure that the battery should have enough power to run it while I salt once in either direction and then I could park the tractor back in the garage and charge it up, but if the charging system was powerful enough to run it that would be even better.  Does anyone have any experience doing something like this, or know more about electrical than me when it comes to running extra accessories on these machines?

1038752_2000x2000.jpg.7ccafbdac64ffa0e962e11200968dd85.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

If you're only going to be running it for a few minutes at a time you should be okay.

I think a lot of the Wheelhorse charging systems are around 15 amps output. Engine uses two or three.

Maybe you could get the specs about that Saltdogg off of the motor?

You might be able to do a search online but I don't think a half horsepower motor at 12 volts is going to draw very many amps.

• Like 2

pfrederi

Found a replacement salt spreader motor of 1/4hp...it draws 2.3 amps so I would guess yours around 5-6 amps.  You should be fine.  As Eric said you have 15 minus 4-5 for ignition just don't use the head lights alot (or get some LEDs)

• Like 2

N875ED

A typical 1/2 horsepower motor draws around 8 amps at 120 volts, or 80 amps at 12 volts. (Ever see the cables going to a Jeep winch?...they use 00 battery cable to feed it.). This amount of current will draw down the garden-tractor battery pretty fast, even subtracting the 12 - 15 amps provided by the engine's alternator. (Automobile or truck alternators generate about 80 amps or more)

Did you check the dataplate on the spreader's motor? It should give you a current rating at 12 volts.

pfrederi
12 minutes ago, N875ED said:

A typical 1/2 horsepower motor draws around 8 amps at 120 volts, or 80 amps at 12 volts. (Ever see the cables going to a Jeep winch?...they use 00 battery cable to feed it.). This amount of current will draw down the garden-tractor battery pretty fast, even subtracting the 12 - 15 amps provided by the engine's alternator. (Automobile or truck alternators generate about 80 amps or more)

Did you check the dataplate on the spreader's motor? It should give you a current rating at 12 volts.

Found rating for a buyers spreader motor 300096 Which uses 5 amps  they have a lot of salt spreaders but even the  bigger ones do not use a 1/2 hp motor. 

motor.JPG

Alex175
1 hour ago, N875ED said:

Sadly there isn't much info on the motor itself besides 12v and the part number which I haven't been able to tie back to an amperage rating yet.  But regarding cable sizes the newest version of this salter can be powered off of a cigarette lighter, so it doesn't have the same kind of draw as a winch.

I may have also been hasty in stating 1/2 hp, that seems to be the bigger version of this salter, the more economy version that I believe I have looks like it may be 1/8 hp.

20200113_145137.jpg.63728d7f960d4b08d32680934fa69bbc.jpg

Edited by Alex175

Goofey

1/2 hp is 373 watts with no losses anywhere. More like 400 watts in real life. In a 12v system that's over 30 amp. Engine won't draw full power all the time if ever but it still is way overkill on a 15 amp charging circuit. You will have perhaps 10-20 amps going out of pocket if your power rating is right.

Are you sure it's 1/2 hp. That's a whole lot to throw a bit of salt.

Would also require some quite big wires. 1/2 hp would not be that far from what you starter motor draws.

I would guess it is not a 1/2 hp motor or it just ain't under any real load and so don't use much power.

Edited by Goofey

pfrederi

BP 801-003E crosses to motor number 3014441  Can't find an amp rating but the wires are very skinny....

wallfish
6 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Can't find an amp rating but the wires are very skinny....

That's how I determine the wattage and load rating too! Skinny wires means you are good to go on your tractor

• Like 1

formariz
12 hours ago, Alex175 said:

Does anyone have any experience doing something like this

Yes I have some experience with similar attachments. I cannot state without going back to look at motors, what is their power rating. However I use a similar setup to fertilize the lawn in my property. I have about one acre of lawn and each time I do it I really go over it twice. This one is attached to a 520H and I never had any problems with the charging system being able to handle it.

The other attachment is a sprayer with I believe a 35 gallon tank that I use to spray the tall Bradford  Pears in the front of the property. That process is a lengthy one lasting over one hour. Again also no issues. I actually used that sprayer for the same purpose, a couple of times attached to a RJ58 with a K91S with a starter generator, again with no issues in keeping the battery charged.

• Like 4

Pullstart

I have a large capacity Salt Dogg spreader and I believe it took a 30 amp fuse.  Maybe only 20... if that tells you wiring needs.  I didn’t have enough customers to warrant carrying it around so I gave it to grandpa to spread coop poop on his truck patch garden and got a walk behind spreader.  It was actually quicker, because I had such better visibility.  

Tractorhead

I found a site with spare part motor.

https://www.radwell.de/en-GB/Buy/BUYERS PRODUCTS/BUYERS PRODUCTS/BP801-003E/?redirect=true

But there is also no closer info about.

If i see this cables, but on the Picture they look no too thick, but this can be an illusion.

The correct Way will be a Current measurement in use,

To know how strong the fuse must be, was Measuring via an Amp- meter clamp while running.

Another reference will be the Motor Cable itself.

What AWG is the cable?

This should give you a basic info, what max current can be happen.

Because each AWG has its maximum ratings,

no honest company will run a thing above this ratings.

if you ain‘t sure, ask an electrician, what AWG this cables directly on the motor are.

Than you get an idea, about the Current, it can reach.

Searching for more info‘s..

Ha, found something interesting....  😎

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A1wfsXuqciL.pdf

Aunt edit..😎

in this link at the seller (or manufacturer) 

they told something about an 40 Amp fuse in the motor internal.

https://pimimages.buyersproducts.com/Products/Documents/3019468_C.pdf

the followed Version has a 50A Circuit breaker.

https://pimimages.buyersproducts.com/Products/Documents/3011864_2018.pdf

That will be inserted for the worst case, so i guess it should drawn something between 15-30A

in working condition.

Current draw May increasing shortly up to 40A depending on weight of salt onto the spreaderplate, to start moving. If it moves, i would calculate something between 12-20A  for working condition.

( no Warranty, without measurements).

just a feeling about similar thing’s i installed allready.

Edited by Tractorhead