Ed Kennell

One armed bandit

Ed Kennell

Anyone have any experience with one of these

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 6

ZXT

No, but it would be pretty cool if the seller posted about the tractor and the attachments outside of the for sale ad. Looks to be quite a collection. Never knew that a one-armed loader was available.

Cvans

Ford made a one armed loader for many years. I believe the model 711 was made into the 70's. 

Image result for ford one arm loader

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine

I've heard of them being on a Farmall of some sort as well.

Cub??

Would want to be conscious of the weight distribution.

I'd have no problem using it.

• Like 3

Pollack Pete

I'd be worried about weight distribution too.I've used enough 2 arm loaders that raise one rear tire off the ground when the bucket isn't loaded evenly.Scary feeling when that one tire comes off the ground.Ya gotta lower the bucket...…...REAL quick.

• Like 2

953 nut

I saw that one on :techie-ebay:. I have also seem therm on IH Cubs.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, Pollack Pete said:

I'd be worried about weight distribution too.

Although with first glance, I agree, it appears to be unstable and would easily tip to the left.         But in reality the way the load is transferred ( one or two arms) to the   tractor has no affect on the stability of the tractor.    With an evenly loaded bucket, this tractor would be more likely to tip to the right   due to the extra weight from the arm on the right side.

The arm looks pretty robust, but with that cantilevered load, there  has to be an enormous amount of twist on the arm and friction on the swivel pins.

• Like 4

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

arm looks pretty robust, but with that cantilevered load, there  has to be an enormous amount of twist on the arm and friction on the swivel pins.

I run a crane for a living that has the capability of picking up over 7,000 pounds next to the truck. That's a single arm.

If that single arm bucket loader is engineered correctly those points will not be a concern.

A bucket loader or a backhoe is in a similar manner to any other lifting device such as a forklift or crane in that as long as you don't leave the safety triangle in a vertical fashion you will never tip.... Provided there is no mechanical failure.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I saw the classified and asked what the manufacturer is and what the advantages are.  It sure looks interesting.

I think it’s BMW, makes a single sided swing arm on motorcycles.  I have a hard time believing there isn’t some odd force with cornering and bumps... but I’m sure being BMW it’s well capable and just as stable at 100+ mph speeds.

• Like 2

Alex175

Despite any potential off balance issues this thing could have, there is one thing that can't be argued....it's just dang cool.  Saw that for sale the other day, don't have the kind of scratch lying around that it would take to buy it but I'd be lying to say I didn't think about it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

ronhatch

The arm is the only thing off center. The tractor and bucket are still inline with each other, so it's not a problem. 

• Excellent 1

Goofey

IMO

I may be an ass for saying it out loud but it's a dumb ass construction. The buckets weight/center should be centered on the arm that lifts not to make crazy twisting in that arm. Eric's crane has the load in a center point. This thing has it way off center. That's the difference. Doesn't affect the tractor, but sure as hell puts strain on that arm. Just imagine the twist when you ram that bucket into something in the corner that ain't supported. I'm no engineer by any means but this thing is just made wrong.

Look at the Ford. It has the bucket much more in center of the arm. Downside is it then shift the weight to the side of the tractor.

BMW swing arm is not comparable. It still centers the wheel on axis and has no twist or slamming abuse just remotely in comparison.

There's a reason why loaders are made with two arms!  I'm sure someone smarter than me can chime in and explain the physics.

It is cute - YES

Is it rare - YES obviously (for a reason)

Is it collectible - ? Maybe. There's an ass for every seat! Head for every hat! Take your pick. I for one don't wan't something that smells like brain fart. I like my things to be made right. 

Is it made on sound mechanical principles - NO frickin way can anyone convince me of that!  

IMO that is :laughing-rofl:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

lynnmor

I would be concerned with how the sub frame distributes the loads on the tractor frame.  From the photo it appears to be much less robust than the Kwik Way two arm loaders and may be harmful to the tractor. 

Edited by lynnmor

Skipper

As a Novelty I love it. It is an ugly duckling, and as long as you see it as such, and don't expect it to be good at what it was meant to do, I have no beef with it. Unfortunately it will newer turn into a swan.

From an engineering standpoint, that thing is just one big blunder. Forces are going all the wrong places, creating torque/rotational forces in all the places you absolutely don't want such forces. If an Engineer ever created that thing and put it to production, chances are he is not an engineer any more :D

To sum up the best words put on it in this thread as I see it:

Quirky lovely little brain fart.

• Like 5

wallfish

The thing looks like it's used and the tractor looks perfectly fine along with the loader itself.

IMO If it's a manufactured item, which I believe it is, then it was engineered to work within it's limits. Whatever they are. I would have zero issues or concerns using it just like it is. My 2 arm Ark loader is only rated for 300-350 lbs so it's not dealing with big heavy loads. Move a little dirt, snow and some mulch. Sure as heck beats a shovel and a wheelbarrow any day of the week! It would look more stable if the bucket was lowered

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Saw that too and did a double take.

I gotta side with Goofey and Skipper on this. BUT I don't think it would be a big problem if one didn't abuse it or overload it. But you know some idiot, like me, is gonna do that!  Like repeated ramming it into a pile of pit run. Does look like the bucket is abit oversized but would be OK for lighter duty yard work and landscaping. 

You can't compare it to the the rigs you run EB that's apples and oranges.

IMHO I would save my coin for something I could gently abuse ...:lol:

• Like 1

953 nut
12 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I saw that one on :techie-ebay:. I have also seem therm on IH Cubs.

Image result for ih cub loader

Image result for ih cub loader

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Cvans

The Red IHC above looks to be a well thought out design. You could park that in my garage. 

If you ask me this is the best combination I've seen yet. Ease of access, good visibility, better balance.  I'm not a fan of driving skid steers but would own one of these. 

Edited by Cvans
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2

ronhatch

A single arm loaded makes sense on a IH Cub, 'A' and a 'B'  because the engine, trans and rear end are offset.

• Like 1

wallfish
7 hours ago, sergeant said:

Loader almost looks Like A CAD Plans Loader Kit 

You're right, that's pretty close. The Cub sub frame appears to be beefed up compared to the WH but I'd still use it in a heart  beat. 

I'm guessing the idea is to loose the weight of the second arm and the hydraulics. Maybe? Maybe for being simpler to build?

Add another ram and a small bucket on the end of it for a hoe attachment. You'd have to move the whole tractor to simulate the swing but beats using a shovel. And figure out a way to keep it from mashing down on the front end.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:

:text-woo: Sounds like the  Fish The Brain Surgeon may be ready to stow his toothpicks and break out his BFH for a new project.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

wallfish

1 minute ago, Ed Kennell said:

Sounds like the  Fish The Brain Surgeon may be ready to stow his toothpicks and break out his BFH for a new project.

LOL :lol:

Yeah, been hankering for a BFH project. It's been way too long. Problem is, winter time is for the dreaming and spring summer fall are for building. Spring summer fall is my busy time with work. If I was a retired millionaire like you, I'd build a big heated pole barn and tinker all day everyday.

• Haha 4

oilwell1415
19 hours ago, Goofey said:

IMO

I may be an ass for saying it out loud but it's a dumb ass construction. The buckets weight/center should be centered on the arm that lifts not to make crazy twisting in that arm. Eric's crane has the load in a center point. This thing has it way off center. That's the difference. Doesn't affect the tractor, but sure as hell puts strain on that arm. Just imagine the twist when you ram that bucket into something in the corner that ain't supported. I'm no engineer by any means but this thing is just made wrong.

Look at the Ford. It has the bucket much more in center of the arm. Downside is it then shift the weight to the side of the tractor.

BMW swing arm is not comparable. It still centers the wheel on axis and has no twist or slamming abuse just remotely in comparison.

There's a reason why loaders are made with two arms!  I'm sure someone smarter than me can chime in and explain the physics.

I am an engineer and I agree with you 100%.

The BMW swing arm is different than this in many ways.  First, the swing arm is much larger for the load it carries and is designed to minimize twist.  There's some black magic known as shear center involved that allows them to neutralize all of the unwanted twisting that the design would have otherwise.  There is also a significant benefit to a one armed swing arm:  It reduces the unsprung weight of the rear suspension significantly.  Not only is it unsprung weight, but it's unsprung weight that moves in an arc, which means you get even more benefit from removing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3