Ed Kennell

One armed bandit

sergeant
11 hours ago, ronhatch said:

A single arm loaded makes sense on a IH Cub, 'A' and a 'B'  because the engine, trans and rear end are offset.

Well did You Know for the Off set design Somebody did Make a Front Mounted Backhoe at one time for them My Great Uncles Neighbor had one On the Neighboring farm. Wish I had a Picture But the last Time I saw it was 46 years ago:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Goofey

I ain't the smart one here but I can see that this is spiraling down the drain now.

Putting a back hoe on the front with a pivoting axle under it as support :laughing-rofl: :wacko: Come on now. Seriously. These things was tested and discarded 50 or more years ago. Laws of physics hasn't changed since and I doubt they are about to.

Just because some pimpled teenager has fantasized it up on a computer and put it on cadplans don't make it a good idea. Or good engineering for that matter.

Can it be used as it is? yes in it's very limited way as mentioned. But why go for limited and flawed and most likely a bit dangerous too when you can get something that actually works.

To me it looks a whole lot like a homemade contraption made with no understanding of engineering basics.

Just my:twocents-twocents:

WHX??

Point taken Goofey but if it weren't for things tested and discarded 50 years we probably wouldn't have the machines that actually do work these days. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Goofey

True. Just don't understand the urge to go back and do a rerun.

Sorry if I came on too strong.

WHX??
4 minutes ago, Goofey said:

Sorry if I came on too strong.

Naw don't sweat it .. been known to get worked up about a tractor or two myself :lol:

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

I just saw this one on our classified 

section. 

Ed Kennell

So, we have all offered our opinions  (positive and negative).

The question, " Does anyone have any experience with this one armed bandit",  still remains unanswered.

BTW Eric,  @ebinmaine  some day, maybe at the big show,  we should talk about some of the exciting lifts I have witnessed in the 150 ton hydro industry.

The real heart stopper occurred while turning a $250,000 5 axis Sundstrand OmniMill .

-

• Like 2

wallfish
1 hour ago, Goofey said:

I ain't the smart one here but I can see that this is spiraling down the drain now.

Putting a back hoe on the front with a pivoting axle under it as support :laughing-rofl: :wacko: Come on now. Seriously.

True Goofey! :laughing-rofl: Since you don't know any better I might think you were trying to insult me, but if you can read, it was already mentioned. " And figure out a way to keep it from mashing down on the front end.":wacko: You're a fairly new guy around here so not sure why you want to make friends this way. This ain't Facebook!  I think the one on CAD plans is for adding to the front bucket of a skid steer if you actually look but it was my crazy idea to add the hoe bucket to that thing.

The weight of the attachment itself obviously isn't a big issue to overcome but the bucket pulling down would be the issue on the front end. Remember, this is a small garden tractor, not a bulldozer for moving large amounts of earth commercially everyday so the weight we are talking about here is very small. A 6 or 8 inch hoe bucket would be plenty for homeowner use to dig holes for plants or saplings, pulling out rocks, break ground for a garden or digging a trench ect. ect.. A simple swing bracket that pivots down to the ground when the boom arm goes down will support the front end when the hoe bucket is engaging the ground and swings up when the boom arm is raised to allow transport to the side to dump it. A simple slide pin can engage and disengage that mechanism when not using the hoe.  I don't have the engineering degree as the guy John Mikulas from CAD does or many others do but years of backyard engineering tells me I can definitely build one so it works, and beats you with a shovel for speed and ease any day of the week. Would it be the most effective way to build one, certainly not! But it's smaller and much easier to build for most homeowners. It's not always about having the most perfectly designed machine to do the job, as that has already been built. It's more about sharing ideas of adding flexibility and attachments to the machines we already have and having fun with it. But so much for having fun with this one now, Thanks!  Going by your philosophy and wisdom, why even have a loader on a garden tractor, get a skid steer. It's better designed. Why build a tractor with a bed on it, buy or use your pickup or a trailer. Why build a little hoe bucket, use a shovel. Such vision.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Goofey

Sorry if I offended you. That was not my goal. I will try to keep my opinions to my self in the future.

ZXT
1 hour ago, Goofey said:

Sorry if I offended you. That was not my goal. I will try to keep my opinions to my self in the future.

Sharing opinions is one thing but cursing and insulting members is another. There's nothing wrong with sharing your opinions, just tone it down a bit. 

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

John @wallfish  check out the pics the owner of this loader added in the classified section.     C-160 collection of a lifetime.

Now we have an opinion from the man that built and used two of them.

Edited by Ed Kennell

Skipper

I see the Chicago Diplomat is on a roll today :angry-steamingears: :bitch:

Just a friendly reminder @Goofey. I have helped you out a lot with parts and info on your 195, and we have spoken several times on skype, and I think we have come to know one another a bit, so I guess it also falls on me to say this. The way you have carried yourself in the two threads I have seen today, is not something I recognize from our talks. Now, It is absolutely not my business to correct or try to reprimand you, neither do I know what has sparked your outbursts and I hope all is well. That being said, I also don't think you are making many friends here with that attitude, so again, just as a friendly reminder. Please dial it down a tad. Don't make it personal when you disagree with someone.

Is something wrong, then let us know, so we can try to be understanding.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Ed Kennell

Thank you @Skipper.   All constructive  opinions are valued,  but it  may be a good practice to stop and pretend we are facing the person  we are addressing before hitting the send button.

• Like 2

sergeant
22 hours ago, Goofey said:

Putting a back hoe on the front with a pivoting axle under it as support :laughing-rofl: :wacko: Come on now. Seriously. These things was tested and discarded 50 or more years ago. Laws of physics hasn't changed since and I doubt they are about to.

Just because some pimpled teenager has fantasized it up on a computer and put it on cadplans don't make it a good idea. Or good engineering for that matter.

Can it be used as it is? yes in it's very limited way as mentioned. But why go for limited and flawed and most likely a bit dangerous too when you can get something that actually works.

To me it looks a whole lot like a homemade contraption made with no understanding of engineering basics.

Just my:twocents-twocents:

Yes they actually did Make a Backhoe(It Might have actually been Wagner) weather it was a good Idea or not. Some people actually bought them. I didn't say it was On Cad Plans. Somebody mentioned a  1 Arm Loader on the offset design and I remember as a Child a neighboring Farmer had a Backhoe on His offset Farmall Cub off the front.  But the 1 arm Loader has been around a very long time. Long before CAD Plans started producing kit Plans. I have seen a few of the CAD Plans 1 arm loaders In Person at shows There fine for these small Garden tractors as long as the Have enough Ballast on the opposite side it seems. If I didn't have 3 traditional Loaders already I would consider the design to be used on my old IH Cub Cadet 106 Because I Like odd Ball attachments weather it's Practical I could care less. It would be fine for mulch & snow removal  and as we see modern manufacturers still use the 1 arm Loader design In certain applications where it seems to be practical on a skid steer or track loader. I wouldn't say JCB's design is flawed. But Loader's In general are limited On Garden tractors anyways  The Kwik-way Loader for Most Wheel Horses were Limited at 350Lbs anyways Though they can pick up a Bit More. The Kwik-way On My 1999 White GT2055 Can Pick up about 475lbs just fine. But the lack of Power steering On the Tractors Makes it a bit hard to turn with over 350lbs at 36inches high:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

wallfish

Well ain't that a hoot.

hoe.jpeg.ade3577e76da20f56640d29b484a3642.jpeg.cf4be8ead8ca0282b117f54e47b8a6be.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

Cvans

That's pretty neat but I don't see any swing on it. What do you do with the dirt you took out of the ground? Do you have to move the tractor each time to empty the bucket or am I missing something?

Ed Kennell

Nope, you got it.  Move the tractor to the dump area.   More seat time and less painful than using a shovel.

• Haha 1

Pullstart
On 1/14/2020 at 2:20 PM, wallfish said:

Why build a tractor with a bed on it

Cuz there’s something women love ‘bout a pickup man....

..you can set my truck on fire and roll it down a hill...

..and I still wouldn’t trade it for a coupe deville...

• Haha 3