dells68

Boiled linseed oil attempt 2

WHX??

Tom finds out you did anything to hurt the the orginal Dells expect a world of hurt! The MN boys have got a real fetish for orginal but whats worst is they got me on it! 

The linseed thing has got it's pros and cons like other resto options I guess... clearcoat, sanding , Whatever suits your  preferences for keeping that left out patina and look. I'll say try it on a small area and if you like it go whole hog. 

• Haha 2

dells68

Can’t risk getting them mafia boys after me!  I hear tell that the last person to mess with one of their tractors ended up dipped in boiling linseed oil!  I like the look so far and it makes me feel better than robbing the little tractor of all of its history.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 2

Shynon

I don't know @dells68 I think I may have to bring that one back home with me in June. :ychain:   That thing looks sweet, great job. 

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Jennifer

@dells68 Hello friend, I am so glad you posted this!  My husband has been talking to you on the phone but isn't understanding the process as he is trying to get those results on the 702 with HY-2 you turned us on to... Thanks again for letting us swoop in on that..  the 11 and a half hour drive one way was worth it.  He loves it.  With your post I see what he was talking about and wanting to do to this 702!!!  I think I hurt his feelings a bit as I told him I rather have it painted, LOL!  Its his tractor and he is very happy and excited with it but is struggling with the proper steps and getting the results you got.  Could you please brake it down to a step by step list.... He has been sanding by hand, is that the way to go or a power sander?  We would both be happy if he got it done as its in our living room!!!!  I am so forgiving but it has got to get out of the house!!!  PLEASE help>>>> . 

• Haha 1

Chris T

Looks great @dells68! The Patina is awesome on that machine, hope to see it at the show in June! :wh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68

Hey @Jennifer.  The process isn’t too bad.  I broke the tractor down to be able to get at the hard to reach areas.  I cleaned all of the cast areas with a softer wire wheel on a drill.  On the tins I first sanded any rough areas with 400 grit wet or dry paper by hand.  I then moved to 800 grit wet or dry and then on to 1000 grit wet or dry.  This should get the tins really smooth to the touch.  You just have to keep sanding, wiping, and checking until you get the look you want.  I then coated it with a coat of boiled linseed oil cut with just a little mineral spirits.  I learned pretty quickly that you need to wipe it down within a few hours to keep it from drying down too sticky.  It’s just a take your time and go slow until you get the look you want process.  You would never have known how much red was left before sanding and oiling! 

21 hours ago, Shynon said:

I don't know @dells68 I think I may have to bring that one back home with me in June. :ychain:   That thing looks sweet, great job. 

Thanks Tom!  I agree that this guy just had too much original character to sand down and paint.  I really love the look!  How much do you like it:ph34r:$$?  Just kidding, I’m not planning to let this guy go anytime soon!  If I ever did decide to, you’d have first choice.

• Excellent 1

WHNJ701
22 hours ago, Jennifer said:

@dells68 Hello friend, I am so glad you posted this!  My husband has been talking to you on the phone but isn't understanding the process as he is trying to get those results on the 702 with HY-2 you turned us on to... Thanks again for letting us swoop in on that..  the 11 and a half hour drive one way was worth it.  He loves it.  With your post I see what he was talking about and wanting to do to this 702!!!  I think I hurt his feelings a bit as I told him I rather have it painted, LOL!  Its his tractor and he is very happy and excited with it but is struggling with the proper steps and getting the results you got.  Could you please brake it down to a step by step list.... He has been sanding by hand, is that the way to go or a power sander?  We would both be happy if he got it done as its in our living room!!!!  I am so forgiving but it has got to get out of the house!!!  PLEASE help>>>> . 

there are many different ways to get this result. dont use a power sander!

I wash and degrease the parts and dry then I use red 3m scotch pads.  then rub in Johnsons paste wax.  simple as that. with all these different methods unless its clear coated a yearly oiling is needed.  on nice hot sunny day a rag with old motor oil and wipe it all down really brings out the patina.

talking with a lot of collectors lately the market has shifted to original paint rather than repainted ones

• Like 1

WHX??

Agree 100% Jabel... absolutely no power but you want to send your nice hot sunny days my way?!?! :)  the paste wax is a tried and true method.

Even then with Dells progressively smaller grit  method one has to be careful as to not apply too much elbow grease.. don't ask me how I know. :hide: One has to be gentle and lots of patience @Jennifer

Mike @prondzy has considerable expertise on bringing out patinas hopefully he will chime in. 

I do applaud your wanting to to keep things orginal Dells. I always thought is was easier to do full blown and paint but now considering the time and patience, which I have little of, to stay orginal. In looking at your pics that is just wonderful. 

• Thanks 2

Jennifer

Well, Thanks to all who are offering help!  Went to Walmart got the boiled linseed oil tonight.. He has torn it down in the living room floor!  I could have killed him.., lol. Oil stained hard wood floor now... when he is done with the sanding on this tractor he will have to start sanding and refinishing the floor!  We power washed this tractor before it came in the house then he torn it clear down and cleaned it up more!  The livings room was a mess🥺.  He cleaned it all back up nice other then the oil stains..  this could be a trial and error!! I would post pictures but must no longer be allowed to..

WHX??
26 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

He has torn it down in the living room floor!  

Ahem. .. not to take sides here Jenny but he sounds like our kinda guy! :)

• Haha 3