Oldskool

Newb to the group

wallfish
5 hours ago, Oldskool said:

I also noticed the 3/4" dia. pin that the tie rod and the drag link connect to has a set screw in the side of the top cap. Is  that for adjustment?

Post a pic. Sounds like a PO did some mods.

Those steering pins get worn and create slop. 3/4 ID by 7/8 OD bronze bushings and new pins were done by some members. The axle hole too.

• Like 1

Oldskool

@wallfish This is the only pic I have at the moment  The set screw is in the area of the end of the arrow.  It looks like the pin had a collar on the top that was held on by the set  screw thru its side. For slop adjustment?. The collar may have been brazed in place by a PO. Just not sure what the set screw did1040995659_Copyof102_0497.JPG.08088619305a74ebba7cd4c5b93d4ff7.JPG

wallfish

IMG_6193.JPG.7caa29fb65994448859afeb488044991.JPG.3fbaec7e6b6df2da11eac6cb1d3f26e1.JPG

No set screw, it should just be a pin with a flat thin flange on the top. Can't remember the hole size in the bottom.

Not trying to show off but this is the only pic I have of one at the moment. I can get a better one if you need it.

That RJ pin was used on a display for a little model of an RJ-58 made of toothpicks.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Oldskool

@wallfish I couldn't stop looking at the tractor.    :bow-blue:   THAT IS AWESOME!! Did you make that? As far as my pin goes I will get a GOOD pic tomorrow. Thanks for the pic

WHX??

We think he did by the amount of plaque on the toothpicks  Skool....we can neither confirm or deny that tho...:lol:

Seriously that front end looks like it was hammered on by the looks of those welds on the spindles so who knows what has been done to the rest of the linkage.  Book has it that guys used to pound on the front end 'cause of the lightness and bust them all up. Hence the design of 60 and up tractors.

• Like 1

wallfish
9 hours ago, WHX24 said:

We think he did by the amount of plaque on the toothpicks  Skool....we can neither confirm or deny that tho...

:laughing-rolling: Funny! You're on a roll lately

9 hours ago, Oldskool said:

looking at the tractor.

Here's the build thread on it when it was made last year

• Excellent 1

Oldskool

@wallfish The pin does look like it has been worked a bit/replaced. It will do for now with another washer on it.

102_0506.JPG

102_0505.JPG

wallfish
1 hour ago, Oldskool said:

The pin does look like it has been worked a bit/replaced.

It's homemade and shouldn't be that long. There should be 2 of those pins and both are the same part.

Not like it should make a difference in the steering play since it's probably the same diameter. Just letting you know it's not factory

• Like 1

Oldskool

Now that the weekend has past and the wife has had her B-day party in the garage I get my workshop back. So did alittle scrounging in the snow and found some diamond plate today. With some info from @wallfish and a diagram I found  on here "sorry I can't remember the members name" I made some foot rests for the RJ.102_0517.JPG.f5b3af1932b9ce52447cba8dcf9d50c4.JPG
Dug around in the shop and found some steel bushings, square nuts, and the square headed set bolts102_0518.JPG.50288d820c9aef8dd1d9f21bc08f1971.JPG

Let the fun begin

• Like 1

Oldskool

Had to build a high tech bending jig for the job

102_0519.JPG

102_0520.JPG

102_0521.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

high tech bending jig

Good that you used the high tech scraps and high tech speed square.

:lol:

Nice work there.....

Oldskool
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Good that you used the high tech scraps and high tech speed square.

:lol:

Nice work there.....

Scraps is were it's at

• Like 1

Oldskool

102_0522.JPG

• Like 1

Oldskool

A bit of wire wheeling with the grinder and they cleaned up pretty well.

102_0525.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

VERY nice

• Like 1

Oldskool

And here they are. A good little upgrade for the little buggah

102_0527.JPG

102_0528.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

wallfish

There ya go! Nice

• Like 1

Oldskool
2 minutes ago, wallfish said:

There ya go! Nice

Thanks. A little here a little there. Did you say you could get dimensions for the tool box? That might be the next thing built right along with trying to save the original front rims

wallfish

Yes,

I have one out in the shed somewhere. I'll find it and get you some pics with dimensions.

Did you get the fenders?

oliver2-44

If your going to save those front rims, you night want to derust them with an E-tank if you don't have access to a good sand blaster.  If your not familiar with using an E-tank (electrolysis tank) google it, there are lots of examples.   Rust is causes by electrolysis, so rust can be removed by electrolysis. 

• Like 1

Oldskool

Not yet. The guy works nights so it's hard to get our schedules to coincide on days other than weekends and we also just got about a foot of snow. Im hoping this weekend

d

Oldskool
2 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

If your going to save those front rims, you night want to derust them with an E-tank if you don't have access to a good sand blaster.  If your not familiar with using an E-tank (electrolysis tank) google it, there are lots of examples.   Rust is causes by electrolysis, so rust can be removed by electrolysis. 

Good point on the electrolysis, but I do have a sandblaster and also access to a blasting cabinet and if they don't do it the ole muriatic acid will lol

WHX??

Really nice job on those foot rests Skool... let us know when you are ready to go into production! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Oldskool
1 minute ago, WHX24 said:

Really nice job on those foot rests Skool... let us know when you are ready to go into production! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks, but I think I would need a better jig than the one I used to make these. Although I would probably make some if needed.

• Excellent 2

Oldskool

Looking for several bits of info today. I cleaned the I.D tag off so I can read the number it's 1757. I can't find the transmission date code. Where is it located?

I am just curious of it's birthday.

Second bit of info: Does anybody have a pic of an original ball hitch for the RJ?

The third bit of info would be engine related. I think the poor thing deserves an oil change. I assume I would be using non detergent 30wt oil for this. Should I also be using lead additive in the gas?

Thanks in advance guys. Hope I'm not wearing out my welcome with all the piddly questions.