Oldskool

Newb to the group

ebinmaine

@Oldskool

Good folks around here.

We been known to have a get together occasionally as well.

• Like 2

Stepney
11 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Cute little thing isn't it??

Tiller steer is interesting.

@Stepney Spenser check this out...

The Speedex.... I'd love one...

My vote goes to an early Huffy.

Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 5.25.10 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool

@ebinmaine Yes ever body here seems to be very helpful and polite. A refreshing change compared to other groups I am in. @Stepney, thanks for the input on the mystery mower and dont worry about the double post lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Have to give the moderators due credit for that.

Good folks.

• Like 3

Oldskool

@stevasaurus could you point me in the direction of the part numbers. If I am going to crack this trans open I would like to replace all bushings,bearings, and seals at once.

• Like 1

WHX??

• Like 1

WHX??
19 hours ago, wallfish said:

@Oldskool You're gonna get skooled on that tranny now! Once I tagged Steve about the trans in the above post, he's gonna be all over this like Oprah on baked ham! Follow his direction and it'll end up good as new.

:text-yeahthat:Check out his videos and let us know of any problems … Steve does like to work on these trannies! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Don't know if you have the Manual yet.   Part numbers in here.

This manual has instructions on how to tear down and re-build the trans.  Use Section I for your transmission.

The above manual is excellent, use it with the videos.  You do not need to buy all of the bearings at once.  Buy the seals and gaskets...yes.  You can open it and see if you need to replace everything first, it only takes a couple of days to order and get bearings.

Oldskool

Thanks guys for the info. @stevasaurus I did not have a manual yet. Thanks for the downloadable. Going to look into whats available local. My step family has a small parts store here in town

• Like 2

stevasaurus

@Oldskool  I was stationed in the Navy, Winter Harbor 1971-1974.  Know my way around out there...had friends in Milbridge.  Worked at the site east of Prospect Harbor.  Love that part of the country.  Used to fish the Chamberlin River for Strippers.

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Love that part of the country.

That's cuz you're "smaht" 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

By Jesus...you are right.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Question is...are you old enough to remember Frankinstien's Country Jamboree out of Milbridge???

Frankinstiens was a hardware store in Milbridge.

Ed Kennell

Just curious Steve....exactly what do you do with hose strippers you fish out of the Chamberlin River?:confusion-shrug:

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Oldskool
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

@Oldskool  I was stationed in the Navy, Winter Harbor 1971-1974.  Know my way around out there...had friends in Milbridge.  Worked at the site east of Prospect Harbor.  Love that part of the country.  Used to fish the Chamberlin River for Strippers.

I believe my former stepfather was working at that base at the time as a fireman. So you was also at what the locals in that area now call the elephant cage?  As far as Frankinstiens goes, YUP I remember it well. Bought my first um "pre" aged beer there lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WHX??
48 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

.....exactly what do you do with hose strippers you fish out of the Chamberlin River?:confusion-shrug:

Spare us the details Steve...... might be :text-tmi:... he was a bit younger back then Ed....:laughing-rolling:

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

ebinmaine
54 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Just curious Steve....exactly what do you do with hose strippers you fish out of the Chamberlin River?:confusion-shrug:

Well done Ed.

• Haha 1

Ed Kennell

Please forgive me :rs:  I just couldn't help myself.  Probably gonna be sorry I started this one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

WHX??

You wouldn't have I would Ed... this is exactly  why we need to upgrade the Dino's Windows 95 to something with a spell checker! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ZXT
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

You wouldn't have I would Ed... this is exactly  why we need to upgrade the Dino's Windows 95 to something with a spell checker! :lol:

I think Windows 95 does have a spell check. I know the WIndows 98 laptop that I often use around here does! :lol:

oliver2-44
6 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Thanks guys for the info. @stevasaurus I did not have a manual yet. Thanks for the downloadable. Going to look into whats available local. My step family has a small parts store here in town

@Oldskool you should be get all the bearings, bushings and seals locally except the axle end seals.  These do not cross reference to any other seals and thankfully Lowell at Wheelhorse parts and more has sourced having these made. 

• Like 3

stevasaurus

I was going to say they taste good, so we ate them.  Some of those strippers were big enough to pull your hoobie-doobie back out to sea with the tide.  :occasion-xmas:

@Oldskool   Not sure if this guy was your step-father, but this guy had the nickname "Suds" and his name was John Purington.  He took some of us out cod fishing one day, I had taken off the heads of the Pontiac engine in his lobster boat and fixed his engine for that trip.  We were at his house once for dinner.  He had some home made Blue Berry wine that was excellent.  I remember he showed me how to fix the netting on the nets they would use on the lobster traps.  Small world if your step-father is John.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Not sure if Purington is spelled right.

Yep, I was at the cage...39 months.

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Oldskool

@stevasaurus Yup John Purington, you spelled it correctly. He was my stepfather.  Unfortunately he passed in the early 90's, but yes a small world indeed

• Heart 2

ebinmaine

Man oh man....

Another crazy example of how these little red tractors bring us together....

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Oldskool

Well I couldn't stand it. One of my pet peeves happens to be floppy steering on anything. So I chucked up some steel and made new king pin bosses. Surprisingly enough the king pins were in good shape. I also noticed the 3/4" dia. pin that the tie rod and the drag link connect to has a set screw in the side of the top cap. Is  that for adjustment?

102_0497.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1