Newb to the group

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

flushing

Do you use diesel?

Oldskool
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Do you use diesel?

Yes I will be using diesel. I also have noticed some play/slippage in the wheel hub. Another thing to look into. Would like to have a spin around the driveway before the rain starts today.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Would like to have a spin around the driveway before the rain starts today.

Great time to do the flush....

Careful of the ice storm....

• Like 1

Oldskool
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Great time to do the flush....

Careful of the ice storm....

HAHA yes you as well

• Thanks 1

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

What a great project.  

• Like 1

Oldskool

Well took my first ride round the driveway today. Yup rides like an old tractor lol. Needs a bit more adjust on the carb and new seals in the trans. The smoking issue while running is down to a minimum now. The tinkering continues.

• Excellent 3

ZXT
Just now, Oldskool said:

Well took my first ride round the driveway today. Yup rides like an old tractor lol. Needs a bit more adjust on the carb and new seals in the trans. The smoking issue while running is down to a minimum now. The tinkering continues.

Very cool! The rings could've been stuck and they're freeing up now. I'd throw a little Marvel Mystery oil down the spark plug hole and let it soak. It'll smoke like everything the next time you start it but if that was the issue it should clear up completely.

Oldskool
6 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Very cool! The rings could've been stuck and they're freeing up now. I'd throw a little Marvel Mystery oil down the spark plug hole and let it soak. It'll smoke like everything the next time you start it but if that was the issue it should clear up completely.

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

• Like 1

wallfish

Blue smoke, that's typically extra fuel burning and usually an easy fix. White smoke is oil, not so good.

Quick steering on that thing, huh?

ZXT
3 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Blue smoke, that's typically extra fuel burning and usually an easy fix. White smoke is oil, not so good.

Quick steering on that thing, huh?

I've always known blue smoke to be oil burning and black smoke to be from excess fuel. White "smoke" is typically from coolant getting into a cylinder (which obviously isn't an issue here).

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 1

Oldskool

Also gathered up this little gem. Don't know what it is, but thought it needed a new home. Might gather up "what I believe to be a Speedex s23 tractor basket case". Still on the fence on that one

1950.jpg

• Like 3

oliver2-44
28 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

If you filled the tranny filled with diesel when you noticed the seals leaking?  I've had some leak with diesel, then do OK with 90w gear oil. 

You can get new seals from our vendor "Wheelhorse parts and More in the vendor section.  

• Like 3

wallfish

Maybe in a car engine but put a couple drops of used motor oil into the head on a small engine and it will come out the other end white.

Maybe should've said dark instead of blue for the fuel. I can never see the difference

• Like 3

ZXT
17 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Also gathered up this little gem. Don't know what it is, but thought it needed a new home. Might gather up "what I believe to be a Speedex s23 tractor basket case". Still on the fence on that one

1950.jpg

That seat bracket makes me want to say Mowett, but I've never seen one with that style of steering.

• Like 1

Oldskool
6 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

If you filled the tranny filled with diesel when you noticed the seals leaking?  I've had some leak with diesel, then do OK with 90w gear oil. 

You can get new seals from our vendor "Wheelhorse parts and More in the vendor section.  

It looks like they were leaking for a while. Just more so now with the diesel.

Oldskool
7 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Maybe in a car engine but put a couple drops of used motor oil into the head on a small engine and it will come out the other end white.

Maybe should've said dark instead of blue for the fuel. I can never see the difference

Any idea what my compression tester should read for that engine?

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, Oldskool said:

1950.jpg

Cute little thing isn't it??

Tiller steer is interesting.

@Stepney Spenser check this out...

The Speedex.... I'd love one...

• Like 1

Oldskool
58 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Cute little thing isn't it??

Tiller steer is interesting.

@Stepney Spenser check this out...

The Speedex.... I'd love one...

The Speedex.. Its a basket case but its for sale

ebinmaine
47 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

The Speedex.. Its a basket case but its for sale

Nothin wrong with a basket case.

Just more adventure bringing it back to proper.

• Like 1

Oldskool

Took a moment today to mess around with the new mystery rider. What would ya know. I took it for a ride around in the garage. The little RJ looked neglected so back to it.

• Excellent 1

wallfish
12 hours ago, Oldskool said:

It looks like they were leaking for a while. Just more so now with the diesel.

Unfortunately the "bearings" inside the trans are actually bronze bushings. They're typically worn after 60+ years of use and the axle shaft wobbles in the hole. New seals won't seal that condition. BUT fortunately, you can get all the parts and follow the video tutorial by @stevasaurus to rebuild that trans and fix it properly.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square.  That RJ sure is a nice find.  If you are leaking by the rear axle bushings, you will want to replace them.  You have to open the transmission to do that.  Another reason to open the transmission...you stated that it was 1/2 full of water for quite a while.  Pull out the shifter (loosen the lock nut and back out the 1/8" Allen Head set screw) then lift the shifter out.  Keep transmission in neutral.  Loosen and take the 2 bolts out of the spring holding it to the transmission.  Look down the 3 holes with a good flashlight.  If you see anything like this...all the flushing in the world is not going to clean all that out.

1.5.JPG

2008_0308LANES10004.JPG

You should also pull the hubs off and carefully tap off the seals (they are already leaking anyway), then you can see the end of the axle bushing.  You are looking to see if the bronze is equal in thickness all the way around the axle.  Move the axle up and down and side to side to see any play.  Play should be little to none.

Tap off seal

2008_0304LANES10005.JPG

Bad bushing...see how thin it is near the bottom?

2008_0307LANES10002.JPG

How to pull out bushing.

2008_0304LANES10003.JPG

2008_0304LANES10004.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

wallfish

@Oldskool You're gonna get skooled on that tranny now! Once I tagged Steve about the trans in the above post, he's gonna be all over this like Oprah on baked ham! Follow his direction and it'll end up good as new.

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

Oldskool

@stevasaurus Thanks for the info. You will definitely be my go to guy for the rebuild. Hope to get some time to check things out tomorrow.

• Like 1

Oldskool

@wallfish Thanks for steering me in the right direction