dells68

Wait times at the ER

dells68

Well, I got sick today at work and my dad had to come get me.  Lots of nausea, threw up, had numbness and tingling in my hands and felt like I was going to pass out.  Not sure if it’s the start of a stomach virus or heart issues.   Nurse at school wanted me checked out and said to go to he ER.  Well, been waiting over 2 hrs and they’ve taken lots of people back ahead of me.  If it’s a heart issue, you might see my obituary before I get back!  This is about to wear me out!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Pullstart

Get well soon Buddy!  That, or get sick all over the ER waiting room...  :mellow:

• Thanks 1

dells68
2 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Get well soon Buddy!  That, or get sick all over the ER waiting room...  :mellow:

Not far from that right now!  I hope it’s just a virus, but don’t want to take chances!

Blackhood Bill

Don’t want to start trouble, :ph34r: tell them you now have chest pains and they will get you right in,!!!

Edited by Blackhood Bill
  • Like 5

Darb1964

I learned you should call an ambulance, get you in right away. Good luck!!

• Like 2

tom2p
4 minutes ago, Darb1964 said:

I learned you should call an ambulance, get you in right away. Good luck!!

and when you receive the ambulance bill - you might need to go to the emergency room again 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Herder
28 minutes ago, tom2p said:

and when you receive the ambulance bill - you might need to go to the emergency room again 

They wheel you in and stuff you in the corner.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Darb1964

Funerals coast more than ambulance rides, corners beat rectangles.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

oldredrider

Besides all this great advice, hope you're feeling better soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

oliver2-44

Hope your home in bed now, get well soon

• Thanks 1

Sparky

Hope it’s just bad gas :lol:...couple deep knee bends should get it all outa ya !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

dells68

Hey guys - I was too pooped to post when I finally got home!  It was after 5:30 when I finally went back!  They hooked me up to a cardiac monitor, gave med nausea meds, and pumped in a whole bag of fluids.  My blood work showed an infection.  They said most likely I had another stomach bug just two weeks after the first one.  If that doesn’t resolve itself, I have to have a CT scan of my digestive tract.  Possibly diverticulitis since “I’m get up there around that age!”  It’s almost 4 am and I’m feeling some better.  I wouldn’t wish an ER visit on anybody!  Seems my body was just reacting to dehydration - thank goodness.  Have a great day - I can just lie around per doctor’s orders.  Dang, there goes that honey do list for the weekend:ROTF:!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Heart 1

rjg854

So happy to hear you're feeling better Dells

• Thanks 1

ohiofarmer

I went to two ER:s this spring. Bad fall bruised my hip and someone called the life squad.  The first ER have me too much pain meds and almost killed me.  Charged seventeen thousand for that .Then they put me on an ambulance to a level one ER

The second one charged all kinds of stuff to the insurance.  Almost fifty thousand for the entire mess.

A fun fact is that they charge $ 385 per hour for that bag of saline solution.   When it's dripping into your arm they are monitoring your hydration. I didn't need it at all, but what an easy way to get money 

So get better soon and God bless.

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Sad 3

Mudrig150

Ah, the American Healthcare system... People will refuse to get low cost or free health care like most every other country...

I had an ultrasound for some swelling down there... Cost 1700$ for them to tell us it's a benign sac of fluid. Don't even wanna know how much the surgery's gonna be.

Edited by Mudrig150
  • Sad 1

rmaynard
4 hours ago, dells68 said:

Seems my body was just reacting to dehydration 

@dells68My doctors have always stressed that I keep a case of bottled water in the refrigerator and drink a minimum of 4 of them every day. Sometimes that is hard to do, but I'd rather keep hydrated than suffer the alternatives. In warmer weather I add electrolyte drinks such as Gatorade or Smartwater to the mix.

Glad you are feeling better.

@ohiofarmerAs to your horror stories about ER charges, I have been to the ER three times in 2019. I am on Medicare, and I read every statement of charges. I have had CT scans, blood work, ultrasounds, MRI's, IV infusions of everything from saline to antibiotics, and pain killers. Never have I seen charges as high as those stated in earlier posts. I'm not sure what kind of ER's you have where you live, but I'd be reporting those kinds of charges to someone. No wonder healthcare is so expensive.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2

Pullstart
4 hours ago, dells68 said:

Hey guys - I was too pooped to post when I finally got home!  It was after 5:30 when I finally went back!  They hooked me up to a cardiac monitor, gave med nausea meds, and pumped in a whole bag of fluids.  My blood work showed an infection.  They said most likely I had another stomach bug just two weeks after the first one.  If that doesn’t resolve itself, I have to have a CT scan of my digestive tract.  Possibly diverticulitis since “I’m get up there around that age!”  It’s almost 4 am and I’m feeling some better.  I wouldn’t wish an ER visit on anybody!  Seems my body was just reacting to dehydration - thank goodness.  Have a great day - I can just lie around per doctor’s orders.  Dang, there goes that honey do list for the weekend:ROTF:!

The things a guy will do to not get plumber’s crack for the wife!

There’s a hole in the bucket dear Liza!

I wish you well in recovery!  Christmas time the same happened to me.  We went to my brother’s house, had a bonfire, kids all playing, great time.  Wake up in the morning, I feel like I have the flu!  I couldn’t keep away from the bathroom for more than 10 minutes, body ache, shaky, temp swings...  I had suffered from exhaustion, dehydration and acute diarrhea.  Thing is... wasn’t nothin’ cute about it!  A trip to the ER and a bag of fluids and I was set to go home and rest and feel better too!

• Sad 1

dells68
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

The things a guy will do to not get plumber’s crack for the wife!

There’s a hole in the bucket dear Liza!

I wish you well in recovery!  Christmas time the same happened to me.  We went to my brother’s house, had a bonfire, kids all playing, great time.  Wake up in the morning, I feel like I have the flu!  I couldn’t keep away from the bathroom for more than 10 minutes, body ache, shaky, temp swings...  I had suffered from exhaustion, dehydration and acute diarrhea.  Thing is... wasn’t nothin’ cute about it!  A trip to the ER and a bag of fluids and I was set to go home and rest and feel better too!

I’m not sure what all is going around right now, but it is viscious.  I feel exactly like I did the first round just before Christmas.  Hoping for a quick recovery - got things to do!  Glad you’re feeling better buddy - now if I can just follow suit!

• Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@dells68 Glad to hear that won't be looking in the obits for your name. There has been something nasty going around my neck of the woods since December 1st.  Hope you get to feeling better. 

• Thanks 1

Darb1964

Good to hear your on the mend Dells, I've been to the ER by ambulance 🚑, driven to by my wife,more times than I care to remember. Infections,complications from MS, never fun. Now I have a hernia in my groin area, that needs Sergey,seems like one thing after another. Luckily I have good insurance and a relentless Bride that question everything they do. They have saved my life a few times so I don't like bad talking the health system but we all know it could be better, how to fix it is the big unknown.

• Like 3