Pullstart

My next custom Wheel Horse

callum12

I like the sound of this project, deffo following! 

so you are going hydrostatic for this? I don't this the wheel base will have to be massively long, the bed could overhang by almost half.

or you could go for 4 wheel steering!! ;) 

Callum 

• Thanks 1

oilwell1415

What about doing a box like a 50s or 60s step side pickup?

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

I found this little guy locally and inquired about it.  As much fun as building a custom box might be, it would be nice to just modify one to fit as well..  It’s a 60’s/70’s era Jacobsen “Garden Butler” trailer.  I like the back gate action, it looks like a dump truck multi function unit!

A4086B80-C37D-4D24-BAD7-0B1B29FD0284.jpeg

68819C91-0851-4CF3-A864-BB4A97422A12.jpeg

2E1ED52A-2731-4D52-8F26-DB34CDF1A4E1.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Good idea!

Correct color too!

:handgestures-thumbupright:

Pullstart
Just now, SylvanLakeWH said:

Good idea!

Correct color too!

:handgestures-thumbupright:

Yep, but hopefully this build will be stripped and repainted before it gets put to hard labor earning it’s keep!

Tractorhead

Nice add on.👍

oilwell1415

This popped up for sale in my area today and made me think of this project.  Love those fenders.  Ad says it's 43x55.

81433402_167576367951811_6698306131552370688_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQnX31OKLxNhkYPjMwBPhdaTnkeAqA7gRTawTXWCSg0YNJmx5V14XhXbaUS8sDwX5lw&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&_nc_tp=1002&oh=e1579d4dc62f2d6f495c349c58a60c29&oe=5EA082B2

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, oilwell1415 said:

This popped up for sale in my area today and made me think of this project.  Love those fenders.  Ad says it's 43x55.

81433402_167576367951811_6698306131552370688_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQnX31OKLxNhkYPjMwBPhdaTnkeAqA7gRTawTXWCSg0YNJmx5V14XhXbaUS8sDwX5lw&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&_nc_tp=1002&oh=e1579d4dc62f2d6f495c349c58a60c29&oe=5EA082B2

What’s the asking price on that?  Might give me some ammo for bargaining?

oilwell1415
1 minute ago, pullstart said:

What’s the asking price on that?  Might give me some ammo for bargaining?

$160.  Thinking about getting it myself.

• Thanks 1

lynnmor
2 hours ago, oilwell1415 said:

$160.  Thinking about getting it myself.

With leaf springs and a coupler, it may have been designed for road use.  I would buy it if that is the case.

oilwell1415
17 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

With leaf springs and a coupler, it may have been designed for road use.  I would buy it if that is the case.

The ad says it's for road use.  When I first saw it I thought it would be good for hauling my tractor around and when I got the tractor where it needed to be I could pull the trailer behind the tractor.  But I'd like it to be about a foot longer to comfortably fit the tractor.

• Like 1

WHX??
On 1/7/2020 at 7:56 AM, 19richie66 said:

Sad thing is, this thread will 18 pages long before he starts on the tractor.

Yup sure looking that way.... Gotta love the under the orchard tree engineering tho! :laughing-rolling:

OK Ill shut my mouth :shhh: and not chime in again until at least two grinders are toast, the BFH :tools-hammer: and the rosebud and coat hangars come out! :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Pullstart
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

Yup sure looking that way.... Gotta love the under the orchard tree engineering tho! :laughing-rolling:

OK Ill shut my mouth :shhh: and not chime in again until at least two grinders are toast, the BFH :tools-hammer: and the rosebud and coat hangars come out! :lol:

Jim I had to TIG weld a bolt to my plow stake hole maker so I could run my slide hammer on top into the frozen ground the other night.  I couldn’t find any filler, but found a steel wire looking hanger thing on the floor in the shop.  I have no idea the material, but it flowed as filler just great!  It’s been a while since I ran a torch and clothes hanger.  Seems it was on a plow truck to get it in to the welder from a driveway though!  Maybe I should do a backwoods build some day.  Drills, grinder good sized hammer and torch welder.  Thanks for the idea!  We’ll call that tractor Smokey or Chewy or Jim Parsons or something.  Real simple and backwards!

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

WHX??

Lol ...many years ago when I was gainfully unemployed I was helping out a buddy pro bono who had a mobil welding rig. We got called to a junkyard where their Pettibone lift need repair. Mysteriously ther was no more welding rods on the the truck so my buddy went at it with the cutting torch and whoknowswhat for filler. We still have a laugh about it to this day.! 

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/cutting-torch-5.html

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

It’s dark out.  The trailer is a heavy heavy pig.  We grunted to tilt/lift it into the truck bed.  It’s super thick steel and in really great shape.  Pictures in the daylight... but well worth the $40 I had to give for it!  He had an entire Jacobsen package and this was the last of the tractor and implements.

• Excellent 1

WHX??

Oh Balls......

Just sayin the things you pick up in the daylight scares us.......:lol:

Edited by WHX24
  • Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH
23 minutes ago, pullstart said:

It’s dark out.  The trailer is a heavy heavy pig.  We grunted to tilt/lift it into the truck bed.  It’s super thick steel and in really great shape.  Pictures in the daylight... but well worth the $40 I had to give for it!  He had an entire Jacobsen package and this was the last of the tractor and implements.

So...

No flash on your camera?

Gotta wait til tomorrow...?

:confusion-confused:

Oh all right...

:ychain:

• Haha 2

Pullstart

Here’s a video update for the dump box!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

wallfish

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus it has the 4 square tubes in the corners if you want to add to the height and go woodie style.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

oilwell1415

I picked up that little trailer I posted earlier this morning.  Got the guy down to $120.

• Like 3

WHX??

Nice I like those fenders as well, guy can not just not have too many tubs! 

That does look like a heavy thing Kev... sure won't find one like that at a big box.  Almost to nice to cut up but some must die so others can live! 

Edited by WHX24
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
Just now, WHX24 said:

Almost to nice to cut up but some must die so others can live! 

I was thinking the same, but I got it for just that reason.  It’ll look good on a Wheel Horse!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68

OK, @pullstart how much would it take to keep you from sending that cart to the chop shop?  Being that it's a Jacobsen, it would look great behind Dad's Jacobsen built Ford LGT!  I know there's no use, but a fella couldn't help but try - right?!:ROTF:Nice score!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Pullstart
Just now, dells68 said:

OK, @pullstart how much would it take to keep you from sending that cart to the chop shop?  Being that it's a Jacobsen, it would look great behind Dad's Jacobsen built Ford LGT!  I know there's no use, but a fella couldn't help but try - right?!:ROTF:Nice score!

I’ve got a feeling there won’t be a trailer hooked to my dump box in about 3 hours or so.  Momma and Rylee are in TX for a gymnastics meet, Jada’s going to spend the night with my mom and aunt, my niece is about to go to Grandma and Grandpa’s for the weekend.  You know where you’ll be able to find me... 

... with Jim’s coat hangers and a torch in the shop!

• Haha 4

Pullstart

@dells68 sorry buddy.  But have I mentioned I love my Milwaukee metal cutting saw?

also, my eta was right on.  It’s been 3 hrs since I posted!

7A02ADF1-13AC-4A66-B232-5951581097F0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1