Razorback

First ploughing with my C160

Razorback

We had a beautiful day here .....so..... after church I got the Wheel Horse C160 and a Brinly plough out of the shed and turned over some furrows in my garden spot. This was the first time I have used the C160 for this since I got it 15 months ago. It did quite well, although my Speedex 1630 is still my favorite for this job. My only “complaint” about my C160 is the cable lift for the rear attachments..... just not a huge fan.
Glad to finally get that done!
Also used the WH aerator on the back yard while I was at it. Just about ran out of daylight before I got everything put back in the shed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 4

Pullstart

@Razorback I am not sure if you tried to post pictures, they didn’t come through for me.  The cable lift has kept me weary, but at Jim’s plow day we use a lot of cable, a lot of lifts out of the sod all day and don’t seem to have (too many) failures.  The ones that break were probably original or just old.  @wheelhorseman Lowell makes a fine stronger than stock quality lift cable and I’d endorse it for sure!

• Like 5

Razorback

Hmmmmm. Well..... I posted pictures, but they are links to another URL where they were uploaded.

The cable lift is the ONLY thing I don’t care for..... otherwise, the C160 is fantastic!!

oldredrider

I have a C-160 auto that has a rod in place of the cable lift. Don't know if it's original, but looks factory. I'll try and get a photo tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Achto
1 hour ago, oldredrider said:

I have a C-160 auto that has a rod in place of the cable lift. Don't know if it's original, but looks factory.

I'll be interested to see these pics. I've been thinking about trying this on a tractor.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Yep, it’s crossed my mind a time or three.  Awesome!

oliver2-44
2 hours ago, oldredrider said:

I have a C-160 auto that has a rod in place of the cable lift. Don't know if it's original, but looks factory. I'll try and get a photo tomorrow.

I too would like to see the rod design!

oldredrider

Ok, here's what I have. It's a 3/8" rod with closed end loops. That ain't gonna break easy.

20200106_115900.jpg

20200106_120018.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

Razorback

like that!!!!!

Thank you for posting!

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: I might need to make that a future upgrade on GhostRider...

F8463D61-857C-42D6-8E58-35B454C73794.jpeg.02e9275f06eae8921b1ba8259e2638fd.jpeg

Now that it has a lift system that even ZacMan can operate, and a new custom hitch from Kevin, a rod like that might be a great upgrade.  I’ll probably wait till the cable breaks just to see how long it lasts with the Punisher in tow.  

Thanks @oldredrider for the pics. 

@Razorback wish I could view your pictures too.  They aren’t showing up on my device—I’ll have to check on my computer.  Glad to here that you enjoyed plowing with the C-160:thumbs2:

• Like 2

Pullstart
7 hours ago, Razorback said:

This is another site I post on.... that is where I originally posted the pictures, and linked to them when I made my post on the WH forum:

https://tractorfanatics.com/threads/first-ploughing-with-wheel-horse-160.2929/

That’s a heckuva plow there!  I don’t know why, but for some reason my head was wrapped around this being an auto C-160.  Makes so much more sense being a gear jammer!

Razorback
On 1/5/2020 at 6:29 PM, pullstart said:

@Razorback I am not sure if you tried to post pictures, they didn’t come through for me.........

I edited the pictures in the first post..... please tell me if you can see them now.....

• Thanks 2

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, Razorback said:

I edited the pictures in the first post..... please tell me if you can see them now.....

Yessir :handgestures-thumbupright:

Razorback
1 minute ago, pullstart said:

Yessir :handgestures-thumbupright:

Excellent!

It's just a bunch of blah, blah, blah without pics!!

Not sure why it didn't show before..... could see them. Originally, I started this thread from my phone...... I edited that first post just now using my laptop..... whatever!!!

PeacemakerJack

They are the plain and clear now! Looks great...it is hard to imagine plowing here in Wisconsin in January.  The ground is usually like a rock.  Looks like the 160 handled it’s business just fine. 

Razorback

Yes....... so far we have had a very mild winter. But, there's still plenty of opportunity.

I'd love to go to a Plough Day sometime, where I could plough for more than 50 feet or so at a time. Ideally, I LOVE using my Speedex, because it sits up high and allows you to get a really nice, deep furrow without high-centering on the un-cut edge of the furrow.

In Sunday's exercise, I ploughed across the slope (about 40'-50' each pass) to eliminate the possibility of a rain washing the garden spot down the hill before I have a chance to till and hill like I want it.

It's a beautiful sight when it's all done!

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 1