Howie

GTO progress

Howie

My daughter and son-in-law live in Chicago and have a house on the lake here, I got the 

impression they were coming down. She wanted to come and go with dad to this show.

She was probably 3 years old back when it was on the road so she does not remember

the car although I'm fairly sure she has been in it. So that was special to have her ride

down with me and spend the day. Son has yet to see the completed car but will tomorrow.

I'm sure there was a lot of smiles per mile on the drive, was a little over a 30 mile drive.

I think the deal with the transmission was because it had sat here way to long after being

rebuilt.

• Heart 2

Lane Ranger

Josie:  It doesn’t get much better than your GTO!   Looks like your trophy 🏆 has a great Wheel Horse 🐎 on it!

Howie

Well tomorrow is the local car show. I think they have had close to 500 cars before. I will be there

with the GTO. Don't know how it will do in that deal. Have had it out about 6 times and only one that

was a bigger show over 300 cars I think. Was in the top forty that day. Stacy David is to be at this

show tomorrow. 

At the show Labor Day weekend a guy looking at the came back to me and told me he remembered

the car. Worked at the dealership where it sold, parts manager and sold some cars too. I have the

PHS papers on it and had a copy laying on the dash.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Keep us posted on how you do today!

Howie

Well the show is history. There was 620 judged cars they said. My car

did not win in the 68-72 Muscle  Car class. Here it is at the show. 

PXL_20211009_175105384.jpg.202d155f7512c4a01347858958ce3fdb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19richie66

You got to drive it home. I’d say you’re a winner. Beautiful car.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Howie

Well I did drive it home but only had to drive maybe nine blocks! :rolleyes:  I told people that

I got put in the Chevelle class. Now don't anyone get upset it was tongue in cheek comment!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Howie

Well, the GTO was fitted with a ram air setup this winter.PXL_20230331_171750259.jpg.9cca4967c5f69b3b408f4ca103334c2a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

PeacemakerJack

Awesome! My son @Coulter Caleb bought his first muscle car this past summer…me thinks you might like it Howie…

1B60D64C-F4E6-4CBE-B65B-859631076EDF.jpeg.1320e98d64d8d5843b9e8116dfb2796a.jpeg

these are a few of his senior pictures from last fall.

14911915-C1A8-444B-99FE-530ADB62710C.jpeg.b2ec3cc8ddbee681c0ac0fc2898d60fb.jpeg

I’ve been after him to start a thread and categorize his progress…but so far he hasn’t.

58DE225A-A9BF-4862-BF57-5449D9E9BE37.jpeg.24e3a71584cdcad483cbdc5092df9659.jpeg

the paint is about 35 years old and doesn’t look as good in person as it does in the pictures but it is a very nice driver that was owned for 35 years by the previous owner. It is a genuine 24237 GTO with PHS documentation although it doesn’t have the numbers matching original 400 motor.  

I figured you’d enjoy this one😎 (ps—before uncle Jim makes his displeasure known about the rims, Caleb does have the original date code correct Rallye II rims in fully restored shape—problem is they have 35 year old ‘brand new’ bias ply redlines🤨😳Someday, he’ll get a set of radial redlines for originality sake.  For now he got that set of used Foose rims and Nitto 555R’s on all four corners with minimal wear for $500!) 

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

Howie

Neat car.  Mine has a YS code block but it is not the original one. Ninety percent of the people

that look at it would not know the difference not that it bothers me. Still  a Pontiac block.

Those repo tires have gotten stupid expensive. I have the repo raised white letter Firestone 

in a radial instead of bias ply on mine. I think the one I bought for the spare was maybe $278.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Howie

I guess this puts a cap on the show season for me! 

image.jpg.65edcbe04f2649662ad8f31034a13296.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Well deserved trophy Howie!  It’s awesome to see you still bringing home the “hardware” for the fine work put into your GTO.  The more that I see pictures of your car the more that the color combination grows on me. Maybe one day I will be able to see yours in person…🤔😎

I had the privilege to do a couple of shows this past summer with our three generations of GTO’s (Dad’s, mine, and Caleb’s)…

IMG_5823.jpeg.2eac076c0ce4cb7c934744989abb4a98.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Howie

Early on I thought about changing the color of this car.  The old paints were kind of dull 

and not very much shine. Started seeing them at the national GTOAA shows in the newer

basecoat/clearcoat paint and eventually mind was changed. It is a color that is way down

toward the bottom of the list as far as how many painted this color.

A lot of people don't even remember seeing one of them.

ML3

Nice GTO

Here's my 1969

Original 400 4sp

IMAG0463.jpg

IMAG0462.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

PeacemakerJack

That sure is a beauty!!! Thanks for sharing pics ML3!