dells68

Beginning of a military D160 customization

dells68

You know @953 nut, I just looked at that serial number/model list.  Did you notice that there is no D160 listed.  Right below the C160 is a D250 and a D200.  I wonder if that is a misprint?  I’ve never heard of a C160 with an Onan before.  What do you think?

AED10484-C691-4791-BDAE-5770EE67CE88.png

• Like 2

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, dells68 said:

misprint

I'd say that's the deal...

• Like 2

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

Just to add to the paranoia going on right now, I have read they are finding live virus on a cruise ship three weeks old!!

Randy

There's a lot of misinformation and propaganda out there right now.

Some sources of that story are saying it's readable genetic material but is NOT the live virus.

• Thanks 3

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, dells68 said:

I just looked at that serial number/model list.  Did you notice that there is no D160 listed. What do you think?

6 hours ago, dells68 said:

AED10484-C691-4791-BDAE-5770EE67CE88.png

What's the second from bottom? :confusion-confused:

• Haha 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, dells68 said:

I wonder if that is a misprint?

:text-yeahthat:                  If you go across to the transmission line you see that it should have been a "D-160" and someone replaced the Onan.

Misprint.jpg.5a83f668e962143b545a7e47b4ded39b.jpg

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
8 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

Just to add to the paranoia going on right now, I have read they are finding live virus on a cruise ship three weeks old!!

Randy

We were to embark out of Boston on May 8, but our cruise line has voluntarily suspended all cruising until May 10 now.  Hope that bug is dead soon, we have a 125% credit to use up before the end of 2022!

I guess that’s another week of workin’ on tractors!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

dells68
4 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

What's the second from bottom? :confusion-confused:

That’s a 78 D160.  Only difference is mine starts with a 7.  That’s why I’m thinking it’s a misprint.

dells68
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

We were to embark out of Boston on May 8, but our cruise line has voluntarily suspended all cruising until May 10 now.  Hope that bug is dead soon, we have a 125% credit to use up before the end of 2022!

I guess that’s another week of workin’ on tractors!

I just talked to a friend who’s husband looked to see how much a cruise is list d at right now.  He found one for around $150 per person!  I said I wouldn't get on a cruise ship for all the corona ... er gold in China!  Not a cruise guy anyway, unless it involves an antique VW or Wheel Horse!:text-lol:

• Haha 5

Pullstart
17 minutes ago, dells68 said:

I just talked to a friend who’s husband looked to see how much a cruise is list d at right now.  He found one for around $150 per person!  I said I wouldn't get on a cruise ship for all the corona ... er gold in China!  Not a cruise guy anyway, unless it involves an antique VW or Wheel Horse!:text-lol:

Didn’t think I would be either...  6 days of bathing suit weather and 13 lbs later, I’m a sailor with an eating problem!

• Haha 5

Pullstart

Looks good Dell!

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

:text-yeahthat:

• Thanks 1

19richie66

Looking good @dells68

• Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

You are making some great progress on Big Red!  Keep at it—you’ll have it finished in no time👏🏻

• Thanks 1

dells68

Been working on the dash today.  I had to use zip ties to fix several cracks and even used them to make the top left corner that was completely missing.  I used a wood burner tool with a flat tip to melt them.  One thing I noticed was that non of the mounting holes lined back up once it was repaired.  I had to open up the holes for it to fit.  I then used washers on the mounting screws to cover where I had to open up the holes.  My guess is that the plastic has shrunk since it was first put on causing the cracking and alignment problems.  Looks pretty good for as well used it was in appearance!

AE937C07-F1AB-4FB3-827B-6F067D3538BF.jpeg

396F635D-58F9-49F9-AC0F-27A77EDD17A0.jpeg

7A520218-DDC4-411F-96D1-F8B604B8129F.jpeg

13CB6423-2F39-4551-A7E6-BC1470C8522B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 7

Pullstart

Great job Dell!  Love those rear shoes!  

• Thanks 1

WHX??
10 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Love those rear shoes!  

:text-yeahthat:They are wicked looking. Don't know if would help you Dells but there is a thread in instructionals on restoing those dashes. Any thoughts on putting something in the oil pressure gauge or hour meter hole?? 

Edited by WHX24
  • Thanks 1

dells68
57 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

:text-yeahthat:They are wicked looking. Don't know if would help you Dells but there is a thread in instructionals on restoing those dashes. Any thoughts on putting something in the oil pressure gauge or hour meter hole?? 

Hey Jim.  I had considered putting an hour meter in one of those, but don’t know what I would put in the other one.  Also, I’m working on wiring right now and only have one wire that ran to the left side of the pressure gauge.  There doesn’t appear to be anything coming from the transmission or hydro pump.  It’s for the trans temp, so I assume there should be a sending unit somewhere.  Anybody have any info where the sending unit should be on the hydro setup?

WHX??

Check around the oil filter base and see if there is tap where the pressure gauge/sending unit would feed from. Usually a 1/8 npt and would have a plug in it.  You would have to remove the plug and put in a 1/8 npt x 1/8 compression fitting to feed the gauge I have used 1/8 aluminum tubing to do this. Any automotive style oil press. gauge would work. 

Factory setup may have been an automotive style electrical sender type but I would just pipe one. 

You need an hr meter Dan @Achto or I may have some extras.

Should see the tranny temp sensor mounted on the lower left side if this is an Eaton??  The D pros ….maybe @pfrederi will know for sure where it is. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Thanks 1

ohiofarmer

Like it all. Good to see Emory again!

• Thanks 1

pfrederi
2 hours ago, dells68 said:

Hey Jim.  I had considered putting an hour meter in one of those, but don’t know what I would put in the other one.  Also, I’m working on wiring right now and only have one wire that ran to the left side of the pressure gauge.  There doesn’t appear to be anything coming from the transmission or hydro pump.  It’s for the trans temp, so I assume there should be a sending unit somewhere.  Anybody have any info where the sending unit should be on the hydro setup?

Note i had to use an electric Unit.  There is limited depth in that [port.  The mechanical gauge I had the sending unit wouldn't fit.

Sender.jpg

• Thanks 1

dells68
6 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Note i had to use an electric Unit.  There is limited depth in that [port.  The mechanical gauge I had the sending unit wouldn't fit.

Sender.jpg

Ok Paul, quick question.  My wiring harness had a wire running to the gauge.  Which side should a wire run from the sending unit to the gauge?  Also, my gauge is pegged as high as it will go, so is it faulty or do they register like that when not powered?  If faulty, what gauge could I get that would work with the sending unit?

pfrederi

If you have the original WH Gauge and sending unit.  Power from I terminal of Ignition switch to the gauge Then to the sending unit which is actually a variable ground.  Gauge should read zero when powered up not maxed out. You could have a Short some where causing it to peg or the sending unit could be toast.  To test The sending unit Check for continuity to ground  cold then heat it up see if resistance changes..  Sending units and guages have to be compatible. i just put in a sunpro gauge and sending unit.  I had tried a couple used WH gauges but didn't get reliable reading.  Can't remember now if I tested the sending unit or not. 

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Dell I think the sending unit is a variable ground, if that makes sense.  The other wire should be powered.

• Thanks 1