dells68

Beginning of a military D160 customization

dells68

I spent the day pressure washing the frame and cleaning the engine.  Everything on the engine is gray.  Cleaned up pretty good.  It is clearly a factory replacement engine will h the color - I think:eusa-think:.  Hate to say it, but it will get painted the color I decided to go with the rest of the tractor.  Guess you’ll have to wait until later to know what I decided...  :text-lol:

FC85B8BC-D895-4C59-8304-B696D071383B.jpeg

851AF2AA-A15C-4A08-9CE5-1C2F4DE94969.jpeg

F1EDB1E9-6529-43AA-B315-5BCC7956AA07.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut
15 minutes ago, dells68 said:

Everything on the engine is gray.  Cleaned up pretty good.  It is clearly a factory replacement engine will h the color - I think:eusa-think:.  Hate to say it, but it will get painted the color I decided to go with the rest of the tractor.

You could paint the "D" Battleship Gray and make it a   :flags-waveusa:   US Navy Military Wheel Horse.              :handgestures-salute:

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

I was swaying to the Drab Green theme Dell, but I know this is going to look great with new shiny Regal Red!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

dells68

I did finally get around to paint yesterday.  I spent all day Friday sanding all of the panels.  Got up with the chickens yesterday and it took about 3 hours and almost 8 cans of regal red.  If you’ve never tried to paint one of these things, they are huge!!!  Especially after you paint both sides of everything!  I’ll try to post some pics this week as it goes back together.  Ha e a good Sunday folks!!

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

953 nut
On 3/23/2020 at 9:40 PM, dells68 said:

First, I don’t want to go to Lowe’s or Wally World to get more paint because of all of the stuff going on right now.

You never heard of the internet and UPS?         :angry-tappingfoot:         You could have ordered the paint and had it delivered to your door.            :text-lol:

41YpPe%2BmG-L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

You never heard of the internet and UPS?         :angry-tappingfoot:         You could have ordered the paint and had it delivered to your door.            :text-lol:

41YpPe%2BmG-L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Just as a point of information...

Use great caution buying spray paint on Wally world . Com.

I find the descriptions are OFTEN incomplete or even wrong when looking for Rust-Oleum in particular.

Different part numbers.

NO part numbers.

• Like 1

dells68

You never heard of the internet and UPS?         :angry-tappingfoot:         You could have ordered the paint and had it delivered to your door.     

We’re really leery of our mail and packages right now.  Like @pullstart said, we put our mail in quarantine in the basement for several days to give corona time to die before we mess with it.  My sister in law and brother in law both work for the postal service and they have instituted pretty stringent policies on handling and protective gear right now due to the long life of this stuff ok surfaces without a host.  We’ve really become almost hermits for the near future!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

19richie66

Come on Dells..... haven’t you heard?

9DFCD8F8-B2F0-483F-9E5B-14A4593B86AA.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 8

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, dells68 said:

You never heard of the internet and UPS?         :angry-tappingfoot:         You could have ordered the paint and had it delivered to your door.     

We’re really leery of our mail and packages right now.  Like @pullstart said, we put our mail in quarantine in the basement for several days to give corona time to die before we mess with it.  My sister in law and brother in law both work for the postal service and they have instituted pretty stringent policies on handling and protective gear right now due to the long life of this stuff ok surfaces without a host.  We’ve really become almost hermits for the near future!

Better safe than sorry for sure.

Current evidence indicates it's pretty difficult to get covid-19 from the mail but Murphy's law seems to get me regularly.

:lol:

• Like 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, dells68 said:

I did finally get around to paint yesterday.  I spent all day Friday sanding all of the panels.  Got up with the chickens yesterday and it took about 3 hours and almost 8 cans of regal red.  If you’ve never tried to paint one of these things, they are huge!!!  Especially after you paint both sides of everything!  I’ll try to post some pics this week as it goes back together.  Ha e a good Sunday folks!!

:banana-gotpics:

• Like 2

dells68

Later this week @pullstart.  I don’t want anyone to see my immaculate driveway/boneyard err.... paint booth!  I’m afraid I’ll be inundated with paint requests:ROTF:!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

Yeah, I run a pretty clean ship too, mate!

:ROTF:

B7D9B1A7-4A1C-4B8E-86A7-FBF63F06E4D7.jpeg

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Yeah, I run a pretty clean ship too, mate!

:ROTF:

B7D9B1A7-4A1C-4B8E-86A7-FBF63F06E4D7.jpeg

Well you can still see the floor...

• Haha 3

BOB ELLISON

@dells68 I think that engine looks great. 

I was hoping you would go with the camo scheme but I think it will look like it should red.

I was going to try to find camo vinyl to make a seat but I can't find anything that is the old military camo in vinyl . I did make a red, white and blue seat for my 1054 that I will finish when the weather permits. I've still got to make one for my 1054.

Even if I dont finish it myself. 

Edited by BOB ELLISON
  • Like 5

dells68
31 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

@dells68 I think that engine looks great. 

I was hoping you would go with the camo scheme but I think it will look like it should red.

I was going to try to find camo vinyl to make a seat but I can't find anything that is the old military camo in vinyl . I did make a red, white and blue seat for my 1054 that I will finish when the weather permits. I've still got to make one for my 1054.

Even if I dont finish it myself. 

Hey Bob!  This one is going to get the seat I got from you at last year’s show.  I hope think that will be the finishing touch!!

• Like 1

dells68

Here’s the tag from the D.  Can anybody share a little light as to which year it is?

599957DC-4309-4BE3-BB1D-9E56C2BAADF1.jpeg

953 nut

:confusion-confused:     Tag is from a '77 C-160 according to the "All Years" list.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

BOB ELLISON

@953 nut

Maybe he has a illegitimate kid or it may be an illegal alien. 

• Haha 3

dells68

Man this thing is a mystery!  Most of the sheet metal has enough pitting to give it a little “texture.”  If I wanted to remove the texture, I would have had to have skimmed all the panels with bondo.  Mysteriously the hydro is strong with no leaks anywhere.  The engine was obviously a replacement.  So, what is this tractor’s story?  Mechanically someone cared for it, but why in the world would it have a c160 id plate?

• Confused 2

rjg854

Could the engine have come from a c160 :confusion-scratchheadblue:

• Like 1

dells68
29 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

Could the engine have come from a c160 :confusion-scratchheadblue:

Don’t think so Randy.  It’s a big ole twin cylinder onan - just like the one that came on it originally.  The tag was riveted to the panel under the dash and even had nice paint under it as if it had been there a long time.  I’m really confused!

oliver2-44

@dells68 Leave it to the Ponds to leave a little mystery in these horses.

i guess that big ol D needs to be named Mistie!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RandyLittrell
On 3/29/2020 at 6:30 AM, dells68 said:

Just to add to the paranoia going on right now, I have read they are finding live virus on a cruise ship three weeks old!!

Randy

• Sad 2