C_hasbeen

Topeka KS signing on with a 656

ZXT

Hey Cliff! :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:, and welcome to your new addiction! You have one now but that'll quickly turn into two.. then three :lol:

Looks like you have a good start for your project. What is wrong with the other two engines (other than being Tecumseh's :ychain:)? If all three of them are blown up, I would try to find a Kohler to put in its place. One would swap in easily and be a better engine. That said, if any of the Tecky's have life left in them, run it! The members here have a plethora of information to share and will gladly do so. 

Glad that the keyways are in good shape and only need the keys replaced! Most of the time they have worn the axle and/or the hub. Often times, people will add a second set screw to help prevent this in the future. Might be something to consider!

Is your Sears old? If it is, we do have a "different brands" section!

• Like 2

Achto

:WRS:

• Like 1

Daddy Don

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:If your not familiar with old Tecumseh’s treat the old electrical  ignition components gently, there getting hard to find replacement parts for. There are some Techy pro’s here that can guide you if needed

• Like 1

ebinmaine

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

Nice 656.That's the model of Wheel Horse that started the lunacy for me.Still have it tucked away in one of my sea boxes.Have fun with your new toy and like others have said,thats how the addiction starts.You're hooked...…...

• Like 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, C_hasbeen said:

I pulled the rear wheels off and the hubs were very loose which as you can guess caused me a bit of concern, however the key way in the axles is great, just wearing on the woodruff key so those need to go,

There ate three rights of passage in the :wh: community. Successfully removing wheel hubs is one of them and you have passed the test. One of the others is removing the hitch pin from the rear of the transmission (hope that goes well for you) and the third is steering wheel removal.

@BOB ELLISON can fix you up with a very nice seat cover and Lowell can help you out with transmission and steering parts.https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/141-wheelhorse-parts-and-more/

• Like 3

Sparky

Like was said before, if your not concerned about being all original it might be easier to swap in a new motor like a Kohler K181 (8 hp).

This is my 657 which is pretty much identicle to your 656, it has a Kohler 8hp pull start under the hood now and fits perfectly.00EA33A6-3EE9-4F54-8C69-4253FBAFC020.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

SylvanLakeWH

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
28 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

There ate three rights of passage in the :wh: community. Successfully removing wheel hubs is one of them and you have passed the test. One of the others is removing the hitch pin from the rear of the transmission (hope that goes well for you) and the third is steering wheel removal.

@BOB ELLISON can fix you up with a very nice seat cover and Lowell can help you out with transmission and steering parts.https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/141-wheelhorse-parts-and-more/

:text-yeahthat:

857 horse
2 hours ago, Sparky said:

Like was said before, if your not concerned about being all original it might be easier to swap in a new motor like a Kohler K181 (8 hp).

This is my 657 which is pretty much identicle to your 656, it has a Kohler 8hp pull start under the hood now and fits perfectly.00EA33A6-3EE9-4F54-8C69-4253FBAFC020.jpeg

dang mike,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this is a nice machine.!!!!!!!!    thanks for the pics.....!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

BOB ELLISON

Welcome to the greatest wheel horse site in the world. :happy-bouncycyan:

• Like 1

WHX??

:WRS: Cliff 

Looks like you may have some bad tranny outboard needle bearings going on ther by the looks of the oil around the hubs. You got the hubs off your way ahead of the game. Get the hitch pin loose  where it passes through the tranny and then saw it off those are easily replaceable. Lots of good help here as most of us have been in these things many times over and have just about sawed it all. :lol:

• Like 2

C_hasbeen
22 hours ago, ZXT said:

Hey Cliff! :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:, and welcome to your new addiction! You have one now but that'll quickly turn into two.. then three :lol:

Looks like you have a good start for your project. What is wrong with the other two engines (other than being Tecumseh's :ychain:)? If all three of them are blown up, I would try to find a Kohler to put in its place. One would swap in easily and be a better engine. That said, if any of the Tecky's have life left in them, run it! The members here have a plethora of information to share and will gladly do so. 

Glad that the keyways are in good shape and only need the keys replaced! Most of the time they have worn the axle and/or the hub. Often times, people will add a second set screw to help prevent this in the future. Might be something to consider!

Is your Sears old? If it is, we do have a "different brands" section!

Thanks!  the engines that came along with this deal, one is disassembled, the second has been disassembled and the rod and piston taken out and put back together and has a new rod and piston, and the other was sitting on under the hood not bolted in but does turnover and has an electric starter.  I do like the idea of getting a kohler like you mentioned, I will look at that end of the tractor once i get into the trans-axle and find that it is in repairable condition.  The second set of set screws is a good idea I think my Sears has two on each hub, it is a 1973 I think ST/18 it does have a Tecumseh and the high low three speed trans-axle.  I may go check out the other brands page and see what is going on over there.

• Like 1

C_hasbeen
20 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:If your not familiar with old Tecumseh’s treat the old electrical  ignition components gently, there getting hard to find replacement parts for. There are some Techy pro’s here that can guide you if needed

I have heard that the ignitions were pretty scares to find so I will defiantly take you advice and try not to ruin to much good stuff!

C_hasbeen
13 hours ago, Pollack Pete said:

Nice 656.That's the model of Wheel Horse that started the lunacy for me.Still have it tucked away in one of my sea boxes.Have fun with your new toy and like others have said,thats how the addiction starts.You're hooked...…...

oh no like I need one more addiction!

• Haha 2

C_hasbeen
13 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Thanks for the contacts for the parts that I will need I appreciate that for sure!  you ain't kidding about that hitch pin man that sucker is stubborn, but I am up to the challenge I cut it so I could remove the hitch and think I will wind up using my press to get it out, heat and beat got it to move some but I hate beating on stuff to much.  well at least I have one of the three behind me.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

C_hasbeen
13 hours ago, Sparky said:

That sure does look nice sitting under the hood, seems to fill it up nicely, keeping it original is not what I bought it for especially since it is not a running tractor, however I may get one of the 6 running and sitting on the shelf for going to church or a wedding if I had to dress up or something.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

C_hasbeen
10 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Welcome to the greatest wheel horse site in the world. :happy-bouncycyan:

Well yea!  I have standards ya know and would not wanna hang around on a less than greatest in the world place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

C_hasbeen
10 hours ago, WHX24 said:

:WRS: Cliff 

Looks like you may have some bad tranny outboard needle bearings going on the by the looks of the oil around the hubs. You got the hubs off your way ahead of the game. Get the hitch pin loose  where it passes through the tranny and then saw it off those are easily replaceable. Lots of good help here as most of us have been in these things many times over and have just about sawed it all. :lol:

yea I am expecting a level of ugly once I get that case opened up, when I drained it all that came out was my best guess melted snow.  I did tilt the case to the side and fill it up with mineral spirits because that is what I had and turned everything over by hand in all gears then let it sit for a while and then drained again. 

yea about that hitch pin that must be a pressed fit I did use a saw to cut the ends so I could remove the hitch I heated and beat it and it moved some but I think the best is to press it out.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Try drilling a small hole in the middle of the case to try and get some lube down in there. You will not be able to split the  cases with the pin in. Some guys report using an air hammer on it works. I always try and get the tranny piece loose before I saw as I know then it will hammer out. Slot hitch remains come out in the press then. I have yet to try and put the whole tranny to a press but have no doubt it will someday come to that. 

See @953 nut s right of passage above. :)

20191207_164056.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Howie

If those are the old 6hp Tecumseh's they do not use the same type of ignition the 10 and12 horsepower

engines do. They do have points and condenser in them, and looks like aftermarket coils are available

for them. If they are the later engines with the coils outside the flywheel stuff is available. 

Won't find to much for pistons and rods other than the standard stuff. If one looks long enough may find

some oversize pistons and rings at a price. I just did one of these for my Lawn Ranger a couple of years

ago. It was an HH60 I believe off a Troybilt tiller.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

You’re already on the right track and I’m late to the party, so... :text-welcomeconfetti: 

• Like 1