JCM

Non-Vintage Trucks

adsm08
2 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

Looking good, it seems you have few spare Parts aside

I had two whole trucks that I turned into one.

One had a good power and drive train that I'd spent 10 years piecing together but the body and frame were getting rotten. The other had a solid body and frame, but the power train left much to be desired and was full of mis-matched parts.

I stripped both trucks down, painted the one, and used all the best pieces. I have very few spare parts left over, mostly interior parts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tractorhead

It seem‘s i‘m not the only who‘s do that..😎

bought the next car the same as The Car before, what Marten destroy‘s, so i have a lot of spare parts... 🤪

it‘s allway‘s better to have, than to need👍

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack

Ok—so I admit it...I’ve been hiding under a rock where the new truck releases are concerned. Guess I just don’t want to get too tempted at this point in my life.  Anyway, I picked up my latest issue of C&D and it has a comparison between the Big Three’s diesel powered 1/2 tons!  Then I read that the engine powering the Chebbie is an in-line 6 Duramax all brand new????

@WVHillbilly520H Jeff do you know anything about This motor? I’m already in love and I haven’t read a thing about it yet.  They said it towed their trailer like nothing was behind it!!! Anyone else driven one of these?  Curious to hear more about it...

• Like 1

ZXT
7 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Ok—so I admit it...I’ve been hiding under a rock where the new truck releases are concerned. Guess I just don’t want to get too tempted at this point in my life.  Anyway, I picked up my latest issue of C&D and it has a comparison between the Big Three’s diesel powered 1/2 tons!  Then I read that the engine powering the Chebbie is an in-line 6 Duramax all brand new????

@WVHillbilly520H Jeff do you know anything about This motor? I’m already in love and I haven’t read a thing about it yet.  They said it towed their trailer like nothing was behind it!!! Anyone else driven one of these?  Curious to hear more about it...

I read about that engine a few months ago, and it looks pretty healthy. Something like 280 HP and 460 Tq. I don't recall seeing any MPG figures though. Completely unlike GM to go for an inline 6 diesel, though. They've been building v6 and v8 diesels forever.

My grandfather had a Ram 4x4 EcoDiesel, until it got totaled. It would average 27 highway and with a 20' car hauler with a car on it, it would get around 21 on the highway. It was a 2015, so it was 240 HP and 420 Tq. They've since bumped those numbers up. He had no complaints about it at all. 

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
57 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

in-line

The way an engine should be

• Like 4

WVHillbilly520H

@PeacemakerJack, sorry I don't know much more than than what has been put out on the 'net... @ZXT as far as inline engines the first generation Colorado/Trailblazer were on an inline kick 2.7L 4cyl 3.5,3.7L 5cyl trucks and the 4.2L 6cyl SUV all dual overhead cam I had 2 SUVs with 6 cyl high revving torquey dad has the Colorado with the 5cyl not quite the 6 but still plenty of power and no major issues as of yet... Josh I like little 3 cyl diesels in tractors and love the sound of an old Detroit but I don't want an oil burner for a daily driver IMO twice the cost of preventive maintenance than a similar gas truck but for business it may fit your needs better than mine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ZXT
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

@ZXT as far as inline engines the first generation Colorado/Trailblazer were on an inline kick 2.7L 4cyl 3.5,3.7L 5cyl trucks and the 4.2L 6cyl SUV all dual overhead cam I had 2 SUVs with 6 cyl high revving torquey

Correct, but I said inline diesel.. Unless one of those engines listed were diesels and I was unaware of them. 

rjg854

So glad to hear you're doing better!  Good health to you.  And a nice looking truck.

• Like 1

Pullstart
On 1/22/2020 at 11:35 PM, D_Mac said:

This is my 2002 Chevy 4X4. 18,000 original miles. Believe it or not it came from a salvage yard. My nieces husbands family own a salvage yard and the previous owners wanted to scrap it. Sat for over 10 years unused. Well it was junked at the same time I was going into the hospital for my cancer surgery. My nieces husband called my mother and asked if she would buy the truck ( for the scrap price) he would do the work it needed and they would give it to me when I got out of the hospital. It needed new brake lines, fuel lines, tranny lines. New brake pads and rotors. New e-brake cable. Tires and wheels. Truck runs and looks brand new. Why they wanted to junk it I have no idea. I sat in a hospital bed 7 weeks and couldnt wait to see and drive it. Pulled me through a very tuff time in my life. Love my family for doing that for me. I have only done one thing to the truck since owning it. I put a " F@#K CANCER" decal on the rear window. Finished my last radiation treatment in late September.  So after 2 surgeries, 33 rounds of radiation to head and neck I am feeling better everyday. Guess you can call me and my truck both " survivors" .

20190906_110500.jpg

20190908_113410.jpg

20190908_115356.jpg

20190908_113720.jpg

Awesome story!  In 2014 I was lucky enough to find a ‘99 Extended Cab Silverado with a 7’6” plow that had 34,000 original miles.  The previous owner traded it for a new rendition for the same setup, to plow his driveway.  At 50k it broke the sun gear or whatever it’s called and I popped a junkyard trans in it for the time being.  It has about 76k on it now and needs a list of things done to get it back on the road.  I feel like the only reason it’s here is to make a first vehicle project with one of my kids.  

It’s great to hear how a family gift and their hard work helped to bring you through such a tough time in your life!  The sticker is very fitting and I bet you look like a 16 year old when you’re behind the wheel!  Full of life, freedom and happiness!

On 1/23/2020 at 5:07 AM, rjg854 said:

So glad to hear you're doing better!  Good health to you.  And a nice looking truck.

:text-yeahthat:

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Couple of mine here 95 GMC here with only 149 on the clock. Bought brand new special order for a paltry 27k in the day!  Sat most winters due to running a work truck. Standard 350 motor for the day but now she can't get out of her own way and I park it on the blacktop when the driveway needs sealcoating with oil. :D Cab corners rotten along with brake, power steering & tranny cooler lines. All  the lines rotted where they were clamped to the body/frame.    Relegated to a winter fish truck & alternate horse hauler now so this Dodge diesel sits in the shed and waits for summers & tractor shows! Gets 26 to the gallon empty but hook anything on it and 10-14! Paid over twice what I did for my house!

20160508_170543.jpg

20190709_195929.jpg

Resized952017081195182608.jpg

20190322_115400.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
On 1/9/2020 at 7:42 AM, ZXT said:

How do you like the 2.7 turbo? The thought of a 4 cylinder in a full sized truck just seems wrong.. but you can't argue with the numbers.. 310 HP and 348 Tq is pretty impressive.

Jonah, I’ve hauled a couple trucks and a car in to the bone yard now and even a full size in tow up a pretty long steep hill is continuing to impress.  Like you say... it’s hard to argue the numbers.  I don’t know where all the numbers come from, but they are alive and well!

• Like 3

Pullstart

I’ve been seeing the new Jeep pickup around town here and there and think it seems proportionally off.  I don’t know, the bed seems like it doesn’t belong on a Jeep... or it’s too long for being so skinny.  I just don’t know...

I saw this one today and thought to myself... A little taller tire looks right at home with it!

A7E74E92-CA77-495D-B218-323992913A75.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I’ve been seeing the new Jeep pickup around town here and there and think it seems proportionally off.  I don’t know, the bed seems like it doesn’t belong on a Jeep... or it’s too long for being so skinny.  I just don’t know...

I saw this one today and thought to myself... A little taller tire looks right at home with it!

A7E74E92-CA77-495D-B218-323992913A75.jpeg

Agreed. If the bed was a foot longer and the rear axle was moved back maybe 16 in it would look a lot better to me.

• Like 1

bottjernat1

I like those jeep trucks reminds me of Wilbur the jeep the one old man from mountain men owns. LOL I own a jeep but its a baby jeep. LOL 2004 jeep liberty its terrible on gas

ebinmaine

High-MPG was never known to be a Jeep strong point.

:D

• Like 1

Pullstart
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Agreed. If the bed was a foot longer and the rear axle was moved back maybe 16 in it would look a lot better to me.

Yeah, if the wheelbase was a bit longer...  I wonder if it creates too long of a turn radius with their current front axle arrangement?

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Yeah, if the wheelbase was a bit longer...  I wonder if it creates too long of a turn radius with their current front axle arrangement?

I've not researched it at all but I wonder if it uses the same chassis as something else?

that would make it so they can use the same drivetrain and frame and suspension, etc

WHX??

I kinda like the way they look … sorta humveeish with the square cab. I'd take one you was to give it to me.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

JCM

Another one of my favs that I did a factory order on and should have never sold, A 2008 Chevy 2500 HD with LTZ trim. Added OEM rectangle running boards, fiberglass cap and a Fisher Stainless Steel 8' X  Blade Plow.

PA040353.jpg

PA040352.jpg

• Like 4

Stormin

My 2002 Land Rover Discovery Td5. 2.5 turbo diesel 5 cylinder engine. Over 270,000 miles on the clock. Returns between 28 - 32 mpg. Depending on what it's doing. Pulls the twin axle, 12 x 6 trailer with 4 tractors or a couple of ton of wood with ease.

Had it about 6yrs now. Had new head gasket late last year. That's all that's been done to the engine.

P1020238.JPG.5bcb720d2fe7eb03a61c66c24f276ab5.JPG

598705680_DSCF0001(6).JPG.f0832b3361ef07fa932af820499d154f.JPG

This chap was going for a drive, but couldn't find the steering wheel.

1146422579_DSCF0040(2).JPG.6f36806aa87ef1fcb4eac4b4b32f5fe4.JPG

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

8ntruck
On 3/19/2020 at 10:06 AM, ebinmaine said:

This was inspired by the Scrambler, or CJ8.  I think it needs to loose the rear doors.

Another bit of trivia - the spare wheel on this vehicle was one of the last projects I worked on just before I retired.

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

This was inspired by the Scrambler, or CJ-8...

Another bit of trivia - the spare wheel on this vehicle was one of the last projects I worked on just before I retired.

Please share some more about this...I like to hear stories like this.  From your statement I would guess that you worked on the development of that vehicle. If so...I’m all ears:popcorn:

• Like 2

8ntruck

I spent my 40 year engineering career in the tier one automotive supplier business working on steel wheels for cars and light trucks.  Our custo,ers were the big three auto makers. 

The first 15 years, I worked in product engineering.  This is where we would take the customer's design specifications and turn them into a wheel that met the load, performance, and appearance requirements.  I spent most of my time there doing stress analysis to fine tune the designs, and following the parts through prototyping and qualification testing.

The next 5 or six years, I was working in the manufacturing engineering department.  In this position, I was working on improving the manufacturing , machinery, and overseeing the design, build, and installation of new , manufacturing machinery.

The last 20 years of my career, I was working in the manufacturing plants.  Work there was mostly improving the manufacturing processes.  Here, I also oversaw the design, porcurement, and development of the new tooling needed for the new product coming into the plant.  The processes I worked with the most were press forming and roll forming.

As far as working on the development of the Jeep Gladatior, mine was only a very, very small part.  We developed a spare wheel and a road wheel (which I have not seen any on the road yet) based on a quote request from the customer that specified, load ratings, size and vehicle interface dimensions, and weight target.  The product engineering department finalized the wheel design, and our production group figured out how we were going to build the wheel.

I've worked on a lot of wheels over the years.  There is a very good chance that if you have ever drivin a Ford, GM, or Chrysler product, that you had a spare in the trunk I worked on, or rolled on a set of road wheels that I had worked on. I've also worked on a few wheels used on Toyotas, Renaults, and Mitusbichis. 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

chip61

This truck is like a member of the family. I've had it for 23 years. I drove it until my oldest son got his license and he took it away from me. He and his brother and most of their friends drove and abused it for years then I got it back. It's my go to work truck and still the most

comfortable vehicle I own even with 260k miles on it.

901844632_blacktruck.jpg.cd35c59b0b26969f945d69a935a7f8e4.jpg

This is the only new vehicle I have ever owned 07 5.9 Cummins with 6 speed. It has 270k miles on it now so I limit how much it gets driven these days, but still fun to drive

IMG_20100828_163251.jpg.1377c32af728e51e05c2bc6ca7728fce.jpg

I built this as a toy, but now it's my daily driver. I have some tractors loaded here for an antique equipment show.

20150917_141232.jpg.dff1e5532be98dd6496a5c33a90f0ee9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Heart 1